Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Saying that you think the PS3 may be a complete failure this generation is perfectly valid since it's in the realm of possibility. Using 3 months of sales data to predict PS3's failure or it's inability to repeat PS2 level performance is absurd. At most you can try to predict sales for the next few months, anything more is ridiculous.

So him claiming from only two months that PS3 is a repeat of PS1/PS2 is not absurd? How nice.

So him claiming from only two months that PS3 is a repeat of PS1/PS2 is not absurd? How nice.

I honestly didn't see him claim such a thing, just say it was in the real of possibility (which it is, however unlikely you might think it is). Maybe you should post the exact quote where he predicted that so I can see it too?

Oh and predicting that based on this sales data would of course be absurd, no argument there.

I guess the other two comments afterwards are just not there. Such as the PS3 being a repeat of the PS1 or PS2 (which its not). There was more than one claim in your comment.

Obviously there's this thing known as "context." This whole ordeal is nothing but a misreading on your part.

I honestly didn't see him claim such a thing, just say it was in the real of possibility (which it is, however unlikely you might think it is). Maybe you should post the exact quote where he predicted that so I can see it too?

Oh and predicting that based on this sales data would of course be absurd, no argument there.

I guarantee that you can be wrong. There's nothing stopping a PS1/PS2 repeat. Any other claim is simply delusional.

How can he say there's nothing stop a repeat only two months in? He's been calling other people's comment bullshit by himself making crazy possibilities in the future.

To be fair that's just his opinion that there isn't anything stopping PS3 from repeating PS1/PS2 sales. I wouldn't agree with the opinion (I think the high price and early/strong competition will stop that from happening) but its not like he said PS3 will definitely sell as well as PS1 or PS2. He's just saying that he thinks its possible.

To be fair that's just his opinion that there's nothing stopping PS3 from repeating PS1/PS2 sales. I wouldn't agree with the opinion but its not like he said PS3 will definitely sell as well as PS1 or PS2.

No kidding its his opinion, that's the entire point. So are all the predictions that he's been blasting. They're all opinion, he just seems to have an extreme issue with them that goes beyond just simply disagreeing.

Nothing stopping a PS1/PS2 repeat != There will be a PS1/PS2 repeat. Like I said, it's called context, something I wish you paid attention to.

Nothing stopping a PS1/PS2 repeat != There will be a PS1/PS2 repeat.

Either that's a contradiction, or my years of studying formal logic have been wasted.

'Nothing stopping a PS1/2 repeat' can only mean that it will happen inevitably.
If that's not what you've meant then you should correct your statement.

Nothing stopping a PS1/PS2 repeat != There will be a PS1/PS2 repeat. Like I said, it's called context, something I wish you paid attention to.

If there is nothing stopping it in it will happen. Its like saying "There's nothing stopping that car from hitting that wall", that of course means the car will therefore hit the wall.

Either that's a contradiction, or my years of studying formal logic have been wasted.

It has been wasted, since apparently you've failed to grasp the concept that English can be vague.

Would people please shut up about semantics? Who gives a fuck about this?

If there is nothing stopping it in it will happen. Its like saying "There's nothing stopping that car from hitting that wall", that of course means the car will therefore hit the wall.

I don't about you, but the statement does not strike me as suggesting the car must hit the wall.

I wouldn't agree with the opinion (I think the high price and early/strong competition will stop that from happening) but its not like he said PS3 will definitely sell as well as PS1 or PS2. He's just saying that he thinks its possible.
One of the things that tends to get looked over in all these things, is not necessarily about how good system XXX is selling in relation to system YYY or how it compares histroically to system AAA, but how well its recieved by others.

How many reports have we seen from publishers commenting on good financial performances and citing 360 and Wii (more recently) as a big part of that? They've not had heathly competition in the market like that for a long time, and they will take note.

You guys are taking his words far to literally. When he says there's nothing stopping PS3 from repeating PS1 or PS2 he only means there is nothing that makes that impossible.

One of the things that tends to get looked over in all these things, is not necessarily about how good system XXX is selling in relation to system YYY or how it compares histroically to system AAA, but how well its recieved by others.

How many reports have we seen from publishers commenting on good financial performances and citing 360 and Wii (more recently) as a big part of that? They've not had heathly competition in the market like that for a long time, and they will take note.

I do basically agree with what you've said there, but I'm not sure what your overall point is and how it relates to my post?

Last edited by a moderator:

'Nothing stopping a PS1/2 repeat' can only mean that it will happen inevitably.

What I think he intended to say is this:

"There is nothing preventing the possibility of a PS1/PS2 repeat"

On the issue at hand, anything is "possible" but I think the discussion is "probable". I think this is the point nonamer should be namely addressing as I think that is the point of others (not "it could happen!!" in response to pigs flying... which is, well, possible).

How probable is it for a console to follow past sales ratios when:
- $499/$599 price vs. $299 price
- 1 year late (with the 360 being the lead SKU with many defacto exclusives and AAA titles already available, even cheap) vs. 1 year early and all that entails (defacto exclusives, large bargin bin library, Publisher support with titles in the works, etc)
- Weak launch lineup (few exclusives; most multiplatform games played better on the competition) vs. Had a strong library before the competition even launched
- Strong competition from cheaper consoles, one innovative and trendy and one targetting the same market vs. a weakened Nintendo with no Mario/Zelda/Metroid launch and an unproven MS, both with weak pub support
- Slipping software stranglehold with a marketwide shift to multiplatform develoment and a number of titles becoming unexpectedly multiplatform vs. gaining wide status as the target of exclusives due to install base
- Missing sales targets in the important holiday period vs. having 24M units to consumers before MS and Nintendo saw their first January
- Sony's big Playstation franchises like MGS, FF, GoW, GT, and so forth are all a year out, or more, from launch and MS and Nintendo filling in the channels vs. Key "AAA" Exclusives hitting fast and frequently across a HUGE variety of consumers with MS and Nintendo having few exclusives, fewer AAA titles, and not touching many markets
- BluRay hit consumer channels in mid/late 2007 and was very supply limited and locked in a format war with HD DVD, and the need for HD display and fewer selling points over DVD narrow the current market vs. DVD was the established winner and already making significant consumer headway and offered many, many advantages over VHS
- Sony PR has been wrong on many occassions and made quite a few strategic mistakes that have irriated consumers and the press vs. Sony PR destroying the Dreamcast before its launch and paving the way for a huge sales lead before MS and Nintendo could even register their first sale
- Sony estimated 4M units sold in 2006, didn't quite deliver 2M and there have been wide reports of availability vs. Sony saw HUGE demand that outstripped supply well past 6M units and well into 2001--in the face of new competition even.
- Sony's PS3 was expected to dominate its home turf in Japan yet Nintendo has clearly been outselling them by huge factors vs. Sony's Japanese cornerstone secured many exclusives and was the launching pad for aggressively pushing the brand as THE platform with Japanese developers almost exclusively pushing the platform

If Sony can hit 100M sales by the end of 2011, my hats are off to them. But for the above reasons I just don't see it as probably. Possible? Yes, many things are possible. MS could possibly buy Sony. Sony could possibly buy Nintendo. But these things are not probable or likely. How likely is it that Sony will sell 100M units in 5 years like the PS2? Just looking at units sitting in local stores here and the challenges facing them in the next couple years it does appear extremely likely they will ramp slower than the PS2. How much slower? I don't know. It could be 80M, it could be much less. I don't know... 2007 and 2008 will tell us a lot more.

All things are relative. e.g. "Bad" for Sony is often "Great" for MS and Nintendo. But the difference being is that the expecation is Sony=100M, Nintendo=20M & MS=25M (i.e. last gen).

When you overachieve the expectations you get praise, when you underachieve expectations, even if you beat the competitions, it is seen as negative.

But to take it out of the relative, I think the points above all paint a picture where the PS3 clearly won't exceed PS2 sales in the same 5 year window (launch-to-5 years). Just looking at what software Sony plans to ship in 2007 and the impact Wii is making as well as the lead MS has and the software MS has planned for 2007 make it highly unprobable outside of the norm (e.g. earthquate hitting the factories making MS chips, etc).

You guys are taking his words far to literally. When he says there's nothing stopping PS3 from repeating PS1 or PS2 he only means there is nothing that makes that impossible.

I understood what he was saying.

But I wouldn't be correcting others on this issue. This forum was (is?) based in the UK and attracts professions and participants from across the globe who have spent years learning proper English.

Broken Americanisms--that are literally incorrect to those reading--make it difficult for everyone to understand. It is difficult to blame others for reading what he wrote and taking what he wrote at face value instead of assuming what he intended to convey through his broken English.

A rose by another name is still a rose... unless you are in the habit of calling cow pies roses!

Last edited by a moderator:

But I wouldn't be correcting others on this issue. This forum was (is?) based in the UK and attracts professions and participants from across the globe who have spent years learning proper English.

Broken Americanisms--that are literally incorrect to those reading--make it difficult for everyone to understand. It is difficult to blame others for reading what he wrote and taking it as face value of what he ment.

A rose by another name is still a rose... unless you are in the habit of calling cow pies roses!

Yay for reclaiming the English language!:cool:

Broken Americanisms--that are literally incorrect to those reading--make it difficult for everyone to understand. It is difficult to blame others for reading what he wrote and taking it as face value of what he ment.

ment

Please stop perpetuating the "360 is selling just like Xbox1 was" myth. It's barely sensible if you look at only the hardware sales; it's 2x or something like that off the mark when you look at software sales:

http://www.vgcharts.org/usaconscomps.php?name1=X360&name2=XB&type=3

In essense, 360 users are buying games as if the installed base was twice as big. This is what is feeding the chicken-and-egg cycle with publishers. The PS3 is looking terrible so far in this regard, and this is why this thread was even started - its the inability to sell enough copies of a singl game in its home market to get to #30.

Back