It's 2007, can someone make more information on Silent Hill 5 appear, please?

That is great news about the psychological aspect. I really liked Silent Hill 2 the most out of all the series though 3 was great as well. The first one was ok, but was really limited by where the game industry was at that time and it was rather restricted by the hardware out at the time. I hope in 5 that they add some replay value to this game. The multiple endings have always been nice and secret unlocks as well. I just wish the experience could last longer. The new music compositions is also great news. The Silent Hill series has always had it's own eerie style of music. This should be a great game if not for the music alone. Thats one of those things I new I could always look forward to with a lot of the Japanese RPGs out there. Even if the game wasn't the greatest I knew the musical score would be top notch. Of course, I am rather partial to classical, piano, and fully orchestrated music.

Personally, I think SH1 had the most impact on me BECAUSE of the hardware limitations. It couldn't do precisely the right kind of fog you'd want, or lighting you'd want, but what it DID deliver was still wholly different than other games of the age, and amazingly creepifying.

The atmosphere of the SH's had always been peerless.

Personally, I think SH1 had the most impact on me BECAUSE of the hardware limitations. It couldn't do precisely the right kind of fog you'd want, or lighting you'd want, but what it DID deliver was still wholly different than other games of the age, and amazingly creepifying.

The atmosphere of the SH's had always been peerless.

True..

However in terms of sheer fear factor, I couldn't dare put Silent Hill above the terrible Project Zero (Fatal Frame)... (& I mean "Terrible" in the "terror" sense of the word, not that it was a bad game..)

Not so much an info concerning Silent Hill 5, but an interview with Masashi Tsuboyama talking about stuff ;)

(yes, pardon the massive thread bump :p )

Wow what a horrible coler scheme does that site have, cant even read the text.

From someone on a other forum (no source)

Silent Hill most likely isn’t coming to Wii

“While Nintendo Wii sales are very high, and I applaud Nintendo for their success, I don’t think Silent Hill is a game that would sell as much on the Wii worldwide when compared to a game like Zelda. This by no means says that we will not consider the idea, but the general opinion is that Wii is for family games…and I’m sure the fans don’t play Silent Hill with their grandma.â€￾ - Silent Hill 5 chief designer Masashi Tsuboyama

If true, I personally cant really get my head around comments like this. Some people somehow dont see, or want to see, that its not only grandma's, 5 year olds and housewives buying a Wii. The fact that Wii appeals to a broader market doesnt mean there arnt ''normal'' gamers who buy it nor that Wii owners dont want games like SH and only want party games. Its thinking like this that killed the GC and will kill Wii too if devs dont want to release normal games on it.

However in terms of sheer fear factor, I couldn't dare put Silent Hill above the terrible Project Zero (Fatal Frame)... (& I mean "Terrible" in the "terror" sense of the word, not that it was a bad game..)
Fatal Frame has the added bonus of that frentic, disjointed combat style, where you were essentially freezing and blinding yourself by using the camera and taking pictures, and not knowing what else was coming and from where; the combat mechanics really ratcheted up the adrenaline.

Atmosphere-wise, however, I found it more typical than "terror-inducing," as it kept to more conventional lines. SH's creepifying just seeped into your bones, and when the sirens rang out and the darkness came... you just started sweating bullets and looking every which way for safety.

Either way, both series are excellent. ^_^

Thanks for the interview link, Fr3nzy.

I guess I'm a bit late to the game (aw haw haw) - I've never played a Silent Hill game before. But I did read faqs on them soon after SH5 was announced, and I thought were just incredible; it felt like a really good book (I would love to see a novel adaptation. :oops: ).

More information appears on the-magicbox.com:

- Konami revealed some new tidbits for Silent Hill 5:
  • The protagonist is a 22 year old veterans named Alex Shepard, who stays in a military hospital, recovering from an injury.
  • Alex has a premonition that his younger brother Joshua is in danger, so he returned to his hometown Shepards Glen.
  • In his hometown he found out his mother is catatonic condition, his father and brother were missing, and the whole city is covered in bizarre fog.
  • In the journey Alex will find a partner Ellen, who resembles Mario and Heather from Silent Hill 2 & 3
  • The game will have a completely new action system, the combat system will be more [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Tahoma,Arial][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=Tahoma,Arial]interactive[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR], since Alex is a former soldier
  • Alex can use various weapons like saw and pipe, there are more close range combats, and Alex can also grasp and counterattack opponents.
  • The story will be have more touches on psychological topics, similar to Silent Hill 2, at some point Alex will come to Silent Hill
  • The game will make use of the Havok physics engine, and will make use of more filter techniques, like glass and fog filters
  • Alex will show real time wounds and injuries on his body
  • All characters are animated using motion captures
  • The game will have sound track from Akira Yamaoka
I know there's a more recently replied to thread, but... this one is mine, dammit! :p

I guess "the entirely new action system" and such is one reason that they're doing with alternative developers, but... it makes me wonder if Team Silent is working on new IP, or is simply waiting to see if SH remains a popular-enough series to continue before hopping back into it. (Perhaps they're looking to see if they can shake things up in a positive manner.)

Gets me worried...

Back