It may apper as Sony is being sucked into a black hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Job cuts launch Sony overhaul
By Yuri Kageyama
Associated Press

Web Posted : 10/29/2003 12:00 AM

TOKYO — Sony Corp., its consumer electronics sheen dulled by cheaper competition, is struggling to bounce back with a corporate retooling that will slash 20,000 jobs, or about 13 percent of its global work force.
Sony said the job cuts will occur over the next three years and include 7,000 workers in Japan. It gave no further regional breakdowns or other details. Sony employs some 161,100 people worldwide.

The company's plan is to trim costs while trying to exploit Sony's traditional strengths in entertainment, electronics and video games — particularly with new networked and wireless consumer devices.

"It may appear as though Sony is being sucked into a black hole," Sony executive Ken Kutaragi said, showing a slide with a black dot in the middle of a sky with images depicting Sony's electronics, game and entertainment sectors. "But we hope to create a 'Big Bang' that will lead to new business."

As part of the job cuts, Sony said, it will integrate overlapping administrative and corporate jobs, such as by relocating mainly to the West Coast electronics and marketing operations currently divided between both U.S. coasts. The company has about 22,000 employees in the United States.

Rick Clancy, a spokesman for U.S.-based Sony Electronics Inc., said moving most of Sony's East Coast operations to the West Coast may result in a "few hundred" layoffs but the actual number of cuts remains unclear.

In Europe, the new plan will bring together consumer electronics marketing groups to a new location in Britain.

Sony said it plans to reduce fixed costs to increase its operating profit margin to 10 percent from 4 percent.

Credit Lyonnais Securities analyst Kun Soo Lee said the job cuts were larger than expected and signal that Japanese workers, traditionally accustomed to lifetime employment, aren't going to be protected.

"Sony made it clear that it will trim unnecessary parts of its operations to survive," Lee said.

One element of the new strategy focuses on hardware, including the computer chips, for a networked home in which electronics, video games, music and video merge in products including flat-panel TVs, DVD recorders and home servers.

A key product in this mix is the PSX, a hybrid due out in Japan later this year that combines a DVD recorder, TV tuner and hard drive with the PlayStation2 game console and will start at about $720.

Chief Executive Nobuyuki Idei said Sony had an edge through its ownership of movie, music and video game divisions.

But analysts were less impressed by the new product drive than by the cost-cutting aspects of the new strategy.

"It's a clear and simple plan, and it's easy to understand," said Kazuya Yamamoto, an analyst with UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. "The question is whether Sony can carry it out. They're just getting started."

How Sony lost its way

Analysis
By Jeremy Scott-Joynt
BBC News Online business reporter

Sony's chief says the company needs to rediscover its fire
That it should come to this.
Sony, perhaps the ultimate in iconic consumer brands and the first Japanese gadget-maker to become a byword for quality rather than price, is up the financial creek.

The first three months of 2003 brought a stunning loss, dubbed by investors the "April Shock" and the trigger for a 25% slide in the company's share price in just two days.

Since then things have been little better, with the figures for July-September showing sales up just 0.4% and profits down 25%.

And now, after much trailing in the Japanese press, comes the solution: a 13% cull in the firm's 155,000-strong global headcount, a deal with South Korean arch-rival Samsung to make flat screens in Korea, plans to ditch the financial services arm, and a tightening of belts across the board.

Flagging

What went wrong at Sony is at least in part open to conjecture.

Details of Sony's 335bn yen restructuring plan
But analysts tend to agree on one thing: Sony, despite its high-stepping past, has been getting a little stale.

While its computers and - in some markets - mobile phones are selling reasonably well (the latter through an initially troubled joint venture with Sweden's Ericsson), the consumer audio-visual market has been more of a struggle.

Even the PlayStation 2, the crowned king of the massive global games console market, has seen sales flag in recent months.

And the entertainment division the company bought from Columbia with such fanfare in the 1980s has recently been notorious for a string of expensive box-office flops such as the Ben Affleck-Jennifer Lopez vehicle Gigli.

Perhaps Sony has even got a little too comfortable, and in the process less fleet-footed about serving up what customers really want rather than what Sony thinks they will buy.

Chief Executive Nobuyuki Idei said as much at a conference earlier this month in Japan.

Sony, he said, was "lacking a sense of urgency".

Rivals

That sense, he said, was what had driven Samsung - one of the biggest thorns in the company's side despite their freshly-minted joint venture - following the Asian currency meltdown in 1997.

Even if you make good sales and innovate - like Sony does all the time - you just don't have that leeway of profit

Seijiro Takeshita, Mizuho International
Samsung is now seeing profits rise comfortably, and its mobile phone and audiovisual lineup is making it one of Sony's key challengers.

The South Korean challenger is a good example of the root of Sony's troubles.

In the decade and a half following its invention of the Walkman - and thus the whole field of personal consumer electronics - the company's brand was a guarantor of quality in a world where that promise was difficult for competitors in the same price bracket to match.

That is no longer true, as has been demonstrated not only by Samsung and fellow South Korean firm LG, but also home-turf competitors such as Matsushita, owner of the Panasonic and Technics brands.

In an unfortunate bit of timing, Matsushita - which has grabbed half the global DVD player market - reported profits for the six months to September up 31.5% to 23bn yen.

Seeking direction

In comparison, Sony's profits for the same period were down 66% to 34bn yen.

"They're playing a losing game," Mizuho International Director Seijiro Takeshita told the BBC, citing the ever-tightening competition.

On cameras, cathode-ray TVs and other audio-visual (AV) products, "even if you make good sales and innovate - like Sony does all the time - you just don't have that leeway of profit."

"The first image you have of Sony is of brand management, particularly in these AV products," he says.

So they need to move further towards software and entertainment products he says - although they need to start getting them right.

But that is no longer enough.

"Until now we were always able to know what Sony would do in five or 10 years' time.

"I'm pretty sure they don't even know now themselves."

Should we be expecting many years of strangeness from Sony while they are whirling throught the event horizon?

And how will "spaghettification" affect the PS3?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting article taken to the wrong context by the author of the thread. Not really trolling, it's just Deadmeat's opinion of Sony and PS3. It's hard to be reasonable when you despise a company so much you wish it went under.

Sony is betting a lot on CELL and it makes sense as it is trying to consolidate the costs of the products it makes. It will manufacture CELL based products and put CELL chips in it (an obvious duh) to eliminate the need to buy expensive parts from outside manufacturers. It's an interesting and valid concept that should prove to do well. This might actually be seen as a level of innovation by Sony we haven't seen in years. Interconnectivity through multiple entertainment devices may be a good idea afterall, althouh not entirely original.

Bohdy said:
Should we be expecting many years of strangeness from Sony while they are whirling throught the event horizon?

HA! Lets just hope it doesn't follow Kerr's solution, without that infinate curvature, Ken & Co could end up in a world where DeadmeatGA isn't a biased jerk. < shudder > ;)

Consider this your first warning. Any form of insult or instigation that can lead to flaming is not tolerated.

Edited by moderator.

Li Mu Bai said:
Consider this your first warning. Any form of insult or instigation that can lead to flaming is not tolerated.

Oh give me a break. You allow a thread in which someone posts a derogatory slanted piece about Sony with this picture:

_39500563_idei_ap203b.jpg

Seriously, what do you want us to do.. pretend this doesn't exist? Turn a blind eye to him and let him continue his crusade of hate and blatent instigation under the mistaken guise of objectivity vis-a-vis some such fallicious lofty ideology?

This is very simple my friend, if everyone does their job there will be no problems. In this world, we live with casuality... think about it. And I sure as hell didn't see myself or Randy starting a thread to bash DM.... Yet, for some odd reason, that's acceptable if the intended target works for Sony.

Oh geez... stop whining :rolleyes: (and over something so trivial)

What I see is two news pieces/articles posted, a picture taken from the same place where one of the articles came from, and a thread topic containing a quote directly from one of the articles. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Grow up already and stop taking anything about Sony so personally.

Quite ironic, really. So it appears that DMGA's very own topic instigates a condition which leads to alleged flames upon himself. However, the instigation is not flagged, but the later responses are. :?

I'm just wondering why this dude can post blatent articles such as this with a clear purpose (admitted as such my Mods) to cause inflammatory responces, but yet other people get reprimanded for much less.

It's not wining, it's just trying to preserve some semblence of intelligence and objectivity that has historically distinguished B3D from elsewhere.

PS. Explain how questioning why I was reprimanded in these circumstances has any connection to Sony.... This will be good.

Vince said:
I'm just wondering why this dude can post blatent articles such as this with a clear purpose (admitted as such my Mods) to cause inflammatory responces, but yet other people get reprimanded for much less.

It's not wining, it's just trying to preserve some semblence of intelligence and objectivity that has historically distinguished B3D from elsewhere.
Posters have control over their own responses. If you feel the thread is designed to get a rise out of Sony diehards and you respond in such a manner as to fulfill that then it's your problem, not the thread starter who is just the messenger. You could have been more civil about the whole thing and responded with reasons why you feel the articles are false or wrongfully negative in some way.

I think it was whining on your part. If you're trying to preserve those things the board is known for, posting in here like you did is not helping much.

DeathKnight said:
You could have been more civil about the whole thing and responded with reasons why you feel the articles are false or wrongfully negative in some way.

Actually, I did that.... 6 months ago.

Listen, if you provoke a crowd to start a riot you are not that innocent either.

If nobody posted in this thread and took Deadmeat's bait, Deadmeat would still have done something ususlaly not accepted well here: his posts are always clear and intentional sources of flame-bait.

I would have no problem if he kept ranting on and on how good and untouchable GCN 2 and Xbox 2 will be.

I have problem if his daily focus is slamming down a console that is 2 years from his release: be it PlayStation 3, GCN 2 or Xbox 2.

randycat99 said:
...just a "messenger"? OK then, I see what level we are at... :rolleyes:
What you're mad at (as well as other posters in here) are the articles. It's easier to shoot the messenger and complain about him/her than actually putting forth some effort and debunking the articles with well thought-out responses.

You know what's even easier though? Not replying at all to something you feel is flamebait and/or you can't put an intelligent reply toward because you're so "personally offended". I've been doing it here as well as other console boards I visit. The more you do it the easier it is :)

Far be it from me to tell you what is going on inside the heads of other posters... Had it been any other "messenger", there probably would not have been a problem. However, we know about this "messenger". He has a track record. It's easy to deduce motives and intents. There's no question what the intent is here. Suffice to say, he has worn out the "I'm just being the dutiful messenger" story. So a little frustration on our part is completely warranted. :p

...and I'm just a messenger of levity. Please don't shoot me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back