Is there a program like 3d analyse but for cpus?

Fox5

Veteran
I recently tried to play a really old windows games, but it kept bugging me that it would only run on a pentium mmx and not a pentium without mmx... :?
I have an athlon xp cpu btw, which I'm pretty sure supports mmx.

I don't think it's possible to trap and emulate instructions the CPU actually supports, such as CPUID instruction. If the athlon hadn't implemented the CPUID instruction, it would have been relatively simple to do an exception handler and then emulate in software.

What's happening here is that the game is obviously looking for the genuineintel result code + the MMX bit, rather than just the MMX bit itself, so when it reads authenticamd instead it disregards the MMX bit, even though the processor fully supports MMX... Bad programming quite simply. You could try to search the exe file for the "genuineintel" string with a disk editor and replace it with the AMD response code instead (assuming it'll fit in the allotted space :p).

Or you could just choose to not play this crappy game. :D Which one is it?

Try the arcade version instead through MAME. It will be more faithful to the...um...arcade original. ;)

Dunno if it runs at a decent clip though, most 3D games are horribly slow, but fortunately there's no texturemapping in Virtual-On as I recall so it may work...

Back