Is the war ending?

I think so, though I can't shake this feeling that there's still a trap somewhare waiting for our troops...

Did you all see the footage of the statue coming down? It was such a wonderful moment. The Iraqis took the head of the statue and dragged it around the square. :)

Fortunatelly, this war is not in the same level as the first gulf war.
And the urban warfare until now is not what some people predicted.
Also no WMD.
I am surprised on how fast it is happening. Hope it will end soon.

I'm still waiting for the Minister of Information to perform a special broadcast from Syria explaining that all you are seeing is still just Hollywood, "Wag the Dog" special effects and that Iraq is still under control from Sadam.

And on no WMD- guess such a comment is a pure example of selective media absorption. :)

It must near the end as Rumsfeld again made threats to Syria... I laugh my ass off when I hear how Syria is giving 'massive aid to Iraq' then in the same breath they say how Iraq has no command and control and its army is deserting ect... No proof of aid has been made and only individual civilians from virtually all countries in the area are volonterring to go fight in Iraq.

Very important to check the language usd by Rummie and others in the next few days\weeks. It could indicate whether they will attack Syria in the coming months.

Fantastic newsbit I cought last weekend. A french newsteam being shown by marines a captured munitions stash and showing where they came from. Cnn showed the same bit except ommited that most of the stuff came from Saudi Arabia. If I hadnt caught the replay on French TV (TV5) Id have thought only Jordanian and Russian and some French grenades was there. Probably mostly dates from pre 91 aid given to Iraq but the marines sure didnt think so...

Nothing shown came from Syria...

I believe the specific claim was night vision goggles Pax.

French Media at the moment seems to be in denial. Atleast, even Al Jazeera isn't downplaying the Iraqi response to Saddam's fall, but in Le Monde, I still read attempts to downplay and explain the celebration.

Of course, Pravda is worse, saying that looters are always jubilant.

I think the US no longer needs to publically threaten the other Arab countries. The threat is implicit now -- you could be next, so behave carefully.

You've got to be pretty foolish to think America is going to waste our lives and resources invading any other morally-bankrupt states for a quite while. It's now up to the local population to turn the momentum America provided into something more useful than blaming others for your own problems.

This is very good news for two sides: the coalition that put their lives on the line, and the Iraqis now free from tyranny. Hopefully the two can properly capitalize on the copious raw materials they have to work with.

I'm sure those "individual civilians" are acting on good information, no doubt supplied by their gov'ts. :rolleyes:

(BTW, pax, where are you from?)

Ya I know the claim I asked for proof... US and Japanese made goggles supplied by Syria that isnt even supposed to be able to buy them in the first place. So rummie blames syria but not the black marketeers who are obviously able to bypass all controls including US ones on the trade in arms? At no time in history has illegal arms sales ever been but modestly curbed by the most aggressive policing.

I think the info is pretty much supplied by the arab media. I cant see what other info the gov could be supplying... And again the idea that a gov controls its own borders is bull. Americans on 4 wheelers keep entering Canada and bypass both border stations (and us canuckians as well do same its silly how easy it is) not that you have to stop at your own countries border station. Ive done same living only 5 min from the Maine border and still do.

The idea a country completely controls its borders and can be held responsible for what enters the OTHER country is absurd. But as long as its not a pathetic excuse for another invasion Im not too worried. Brits have alrewady clearly stated there are no reasons at all to take on Syria. This after the most serious claims made by the US gov on the issue of help entering into Iraq.

Syria is a country with a long border with Iraq and a modest population. The idea black marketeers or fanatically motivated muslims can be stopped at the border is ridiculous. Did the US gov stop american peaceniks from going to Iraq to help defend it? Nope...

Man now that Baghdad is taken those interviews with the scientific establishment cant begin soon enough...

Man now that Baghdad is taken those interviews with the scientific establishment cant begin soon enough...

Not as if some people will listen to everything they have to say. If 99 scientists provide positive testimony, and one dissents, it's a sucker bet which singular one the extremists will rally behind and the other 99 they choose to ignore.

I mean, after all.. a country can't be assumed to hire 100% sane scientists. There are completely insane scientists in the US that tell about existence of extra terrestrials.. so you can't hold their testimony or any evidence they bring forward as reliable.

OK... I dont know what else to add to that but I think the scientists who worked on saddams wmd programs are probably not nutcases...

We need to find out asap what saddam had and where it is...

pax said:
The idea a country completely controls its borders and can be held responsible for what enters the OTHER country is absurd.

In general, yes. But, consider:
Saddam was Baathist.

Assaad is....?????? Yes, Baathist.

Might there be a connection? Maybe one regime is helping the other?

Yet Syria was part of the military coalition in 91... Dunno the size of their contingent back then but Syrians fought Iraqis ... I have read that Syrians were closer in like mind to Iranians... Im not sure the party name means anything. Our own canadian conservative party isnt affiliated with the US one as far as I know...

While I'm happy that Baghdad fell as quickly as it did, I'm reminded of something I read in this week's Newsweek. It's from a Russian General who commanded the Soviet Army in their early 80's campaign in Afghanistan.

"We rushed through the country in 12 hours. We took the capital, Kabul, in 24. We were greeted by the masses as saviors. It was only 10 years later when we left, broken, that we realized how much we had failed."

While there are obvious differences between the two, this campaign is most certainly not over. Baghdad is a great victory, especially since the city was taken with so few casualties on both sides. Frankly I was dreading it.

But we've got a huge country to put back together and modernize. The "war" is still not over, and frankly won't be for a very long time.

Back