Is the PS3 on track to deliver full specs?

so if all those demos ran on 420mhz prototypes and the current speculated final speed is 500mz, then that would mean a bump in speed :LOL:

so if all those demos ran on 420mhz prototypes and the current speculated final speed is 500mz, then that would mean a bump in speed :LOL:

if you are refering to ps3 dev kits, I don't know the clock of rsx, but if I remember well, the dev kit that runs the demos have 2 GB of ram + 512 MB of GDDR3, this is not under NDA, so any dev can confirm?

the dev kit that runs the demos have 2 GB of ram + 512 MB of GDDR3, this is not under NDA, so any dev can confirm?
Do you have a list of things we can say and things we cannot say? cause if you have such a list I'd want one as well :)

Do you have a list of things we can say and things we cannot say? cause if you have such a list I'd want one as well :)

So you signed a NDA without knowing what it encompasses ? Does the NDA allow talking about the NDA ? :)

Cheers

I remember clearly that microsoft added 512 Mb to specs reacting to a petition from developers, not to a ps3 announcement
at the time ps3 specs was in the fog

That's correct. But I suspect MS was at least a bit worried about PS3 turning up with more RAM though. That would have been a major difference.

Don't you just love competition... ;)

why didnt you ask me ? if have that list and you can definitly talk about

PS3 technical specs regarding the speed of different parts of the machine and about the online part

So you signed a NDA without knowing what it encompasses ? Does the NDA allow talking about the NDA ? :)

Last NDA I signed personally:

1) was pretty much all-encompasing, thus when things were/are actually made public, it's still not clear whether or not we can start talking about them (generally the answer is still no, even if that seems a little strange).

2) explicitly didn't allow discussion of the NDA, neither with random people, nor even with other people I may suspect of being under the same NDA (including people belonging to the same company as me or people quite obviously involved intimately with the thing the NDA covered). In fact I'm technically not even allowed to say "I'm under NDA". Oops.

3) had all kinds of serious penalties spelled out for what would happen to me if I broke the terms of the NDA. It's obviously partially scare tactics to make you take it seriously - but it worked.

Usually an NDA is in the contract you have with your employer anyway, and unless you're personally in on that very early stages of development for the latest greatest console (a few companies will be let in early on, and it's person-by-person, seperate NDA time), your company itself will have some kind of high-level confidentiality agreement with Sony or MS or Ninty. Really our contracts are pretty vague and if we followed them to the letter we'd never talk about anything, ever, to anyone.

So I don't know about nAo, but I've certainly signed serious looking documents without having a clear idea of their extent, and I've just broken the conditions by telling you :)

Note that I'm not admiting what the NDA was for though... so I reckon "anonymous person breaks some kind of NDA about something by talking about NDA" is probably safe.

Can a dev comment on the relative pixel shader and vertex shader performance of RSX and Xenos?

I'm reading different things. I've read Xenos has an advantage in vertex shading due to the unified shaders and that RSX has a pixel shader advantage - is this true?

Can a dev comment on the relative pixel shader and vertex shader performance of RSX and Xenos?

I'm reading different things. I've read Xenos has an advantage in vertex shading due to the unified shaders and that RSX has a pixel shader advantage - is this true?

it's no safe to discuss of the performance of ps3 compared to 360, and this is OT and can lead the thread off topic in a second..

look this:

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=09

if you are refering to ps3 dev kits, I don't know the clock of rsx, but if I remember well, the dev kit that runs the demos have 2 GB of ram + 512 MB of GDDR3, this is not under NDA, so any dev can confirm?
Dev kits tend to have extra RAM for debug and development purposes. A dev wouldn't be using more than the allocated RAM for PS3 for the execution of the game regardless of how much RAM is in the SDK. Unless they're really stupid, create texture packs with 512 MB GDDR in mind, and levels with AI pointers and whatnot for 512 MB's XDR, and then find they have to halve everything to fit it in the final console. But to do that you'd have to be really stupid!

Perhaps you're confusing a PS3 devkit with one of these? Well, one of those with a different video card, anyway. This is about the only thing I've heard of where a Cell-based machine had 2 GB of XDR RAM.

Yeah, and we heard the same things a year ago before the 360 launched, like going down from 3.2Ghz -> 3.0Ghz...

No, that was from a dev document that was leaked with tips on how to use the CPU and a chart comparing performance with the PowerPC's in the dev kits.

It stated 3.0Ghz for the CPU speed, and was obviously just a typo, most people didnt even catch it.

I don't even know what a NDA is (background music: The Godfather's Theme)

*back at Sony Corp*

gangstakutaragidc1.jpg

Kutaragi: Keep 'em alive.
Phil The Hammerhead Harrison: We'll try.
Kutaragi: Phil ! ALIVE !

Last edited by a moderator:
MasterDisaster, i'm sure a developer like nAo would have known about this some time in advance before it leaked here that a speed downgrade was going to occur. So with that they should be able to work around it a slong as they were given ample notice.
After the rumors from this last E3 you have to wonder how much lead time they do get at times though. The loss of rumble and the addition of 3D tilt seemed to be last minute to many.

Back