Is the iPhone copying PSP's footsteps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edepot

Banned
Looks like the iPhone is trying to move into the area PSP revolutionized (and in a big hurry).

1) High definition display
2) Audio/Video/Gaming
3) Multi-Functional (internet access, camera accessory, gps accessory, internet radio, remote tv, etc)

and now...

FACETIME

For a background on PSP's Facetime efforts visit:

http://www.edepot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4380

I have a feeling the next step for the PSP is to move the playstation eye video chat (available on PS3) into the PSP (working off of the Go!Cam).

It seems the iPhone is trying to gobble up Nintendo DS's territory too (casual touch applications). The only thing it probably can't gobble up is PSP's hardcore gaming crowd because of its weak GPU.

I have a feeling the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad is Apple's trojan horse to get everyone to buy a Mac so they can develop apps for those devices. Imagine what would happen if the iOS devices requires iTunes running only on Mac just to sync.

I have a feeling the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad is Apple's trojan horse to get everyone to buy a Mac so they can develop apps for those devices. Imagine what would happen if the iOS devices requires iTunes running only on Mac just to sync.

Hopefully people will finally stop buying that pay-touble-get-half phone.

The iphone doesnt do anything other phones didnt already did long before the iphone came out.

1. high def display? who cares. I had a phone with a 640x480 2.7'' screen and at the time a lot of people told me it was useless and overkill. Now the iphone4 has 1.5 times or so the reso on a lot bigger screen and suddenly we can't live without... Besides its not like its a whole lot higher res than other phones already on the market.

2. Games have always been there, audio too for a long time already. I remember my friend with his WM5 smartphone 4 years ago or so and he could already play a full sim city on that.

As for video, I dont know how the iphone handles that but my touch diamond could play every file out there without any converting at full speed (thing like normal 700mb xvid tv rips) with coreplayer. The only thing that didnt work was softsubs. I bet its a lot more capable than even the iphone 4 though there might be a iphone coreplayer version. Too bad android sucks in this department. I didn't really use it that often but it was fun to know you it could do it but video playback on android is still pretty shabby.

3. All available already on phones long before the iphone. Actually when it comes to internet acces the iphone sucks imo. It took them untill the iphone 4 to finally support HSDPA.

Oh and the iphone will never be perfect for gaming. Just like any other phone btw. For the simple fact that it doesnt have any decent gaming buttons, drains your battery like crazy and not to mention the price difference compared to a handheld. But we already had that discussion before.

Hopefully people will finally stop buying that pay-touble-get-half phone.
Iphone is actually cheaper than comparable Android phones here in their biggest market, since it includes at least 16GB of built in storage, whereas you'll get an extra card in Android phones. The HTC Evo is an incredible ripoff since its data plan costs more.

Iphone is actually cheaper than comparable Android phones here in their biggest market, since it includes at least 16GB of built in storage, whereas you'll get an extra card in Android phones. The HTC Evo is an incredible ripoff since its data plan costs more.

Well this isn't console talk but the Evo data costs a whopping $10/month more :rolleyes: Which is probably because Sprint still has unlimited data (while others carriers, AT&T *cough*, are dropping it) and Evo owners on average use much more data because of the huge screen.

And uhh, pretty sure my Captivate I just got has 16GB built in, you can get Captivate for $99 on Wal Mart .com, and not only that but with Droid you can amazingly, upgrade the storage, where with iPhone, you cant.

Anyways the OP is just...silly. Seems some of these people are convinced Sony invented darn near everything. See the whole "Kinect is just like Eyetoy Sony did years ago, harumph" thing they've got going. Heck you know what, I'm pretty sure the PSP was just a big knockoff of the Atari Lnyx lol. That's sarcasm btw.

iPhone's big genius was full HTML browsing on a capacitive touchscreen fullscreen phone. Which I'm pretty sure PSP didn't have. And facetime is just a logical step, I'm sure people were doing video chat with a FFC long before PSP, which doesn't actually have it at all (PSP doesnt even have a built in camera) so I'm not even sure what he's talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprint has a cap of 5GB for new subscribers. This was put into effect couple years ago. Only the old data plans that existed before the cap was put in are grandfathered. I have the old unlimited grandfathered data plans.

Ahh, well, that's kind of crap then, it's still 2.5 times the data you get with ATT/iPhone though.

Using 5GB on ATT would cost you $55 (25+10X3 additional GB).

But I will agree, the Evo surcharge is crap. I prefer ATT style pay by the usage. Still, if you're actually using the 5GB, you do save money on Sprint.

I'm sure people were doing video chat with a FFC long before PSP, which doesn't actually have it at all (PSP doesnt even have a built in camera) so I'm not even sure what he's talking about.

Oops, I am sorry, I didn't include the exact peripheral. It is the PSP-300:

http://www.edepot.com/reviews_sony_psp.html#PSP_Peripherals

It should be considered FFC (Front Facing Camera), Back Facing Camera, AND Top Facing Camera as well if you think about it. This is what is missing (and probably should be released) for iPod Touch and iPad so Facetime can be supported on those devices as well.

As for not sure what I am talking about, that is just denying something by ignoring something. What you ignored was the original link in the first post, which contains a video of facetime on PSP (in 2007, the year iPhone was released).

What possible use would a top-facing camera have that the other two don't already cover? :rolleyes:

It seems the iPhone is trying to gobble up Nintendo DS's territory too (casual touch applications). The only thing it probably can't gobble up is PSP's hardcore gaming crowd because of its weak GPU.

You think the hardcore gaming crowd are attracted to the PSP because of its weak GPU!?

"Hardcore" gamers are attracted to particular types of quality software, with graphics being a bonus. Despite its more advanced hardware, the iPhone lacks the software to be a "hardcore gamer's" primary device and that's why the PSP can retain its market. For now.

The 3DS will be a big threat to what's left of the PSP game buying market.

The PSP was revolutionary in the exact same ways as the iPhone. NONE.

Everything you're talking about is an evolution of a pre-existing technology.

I own a PSP and it's a great device but its design was an evolution of previous designs Like GB, Game Gear, Lynx etc. The only revolutionary aspect of PSP that SONY included was the micro optical drive and even that was an evolution of optical drives not to mention that there were also other micro optical drives that existed at that time.

I'm guessing you prolly own an iphone. You do realize sprint's simply everything plan + additional $10 is still cheaper and has more features than the equivalent rate plan from ATT?

Well this isn't console talk but the Evo data costs a whopping $10/month more :rolleyes: Which is probably because Sprint still has unlimited data (while others carriers, AT&T *cough*, are dropping it) and Evo owners on average use much more data because of the huge screen
$10 month more becomes $240 for the 2-year duration of the contract, doubling the price of the phone. The samsung captivate is $199 on AT&T's page, so it's the same price as the iphone 4G which has better features and is guaranteed to get OS updates while you'll be still using an outdated Android release on the Captivate next year, just ask the Droid Eris users and how they like Android 1.6.

About data usage, I had an unlimited plan for 2 years I never used more than 1GB a month and I use my phone daily to get on the internet and sometimes I tether as well. Apparently I'm in the majority since AT&T's research says people who use more than 2GB are a tiny tiny fraction.

I'm guessing you prolly own an iphone. You do realize sprint's simply everything plan + additional $10 is still cheaper and has more features than the equivalent rate plan from ATT?
I only pay about $60/month for my plan with all taxes included, and not interested in paying triple digit phone bills.

You think the hardcore gaming crowd are attracted to the PSP because of its weak GPU!?

Ok. This is getting out of hand. It is quite obvious I was talking about the iPhone's gpu being weak. That is the only possible context you can make given my previous posts. Let's not go into using tricks and sleigh of hand to confuse the readers. Although I have a feeling some readers purposely ignore facts and run off of emotions. For example
I think Rangers would not have responded the way he has if I told him there were pictures of people having sex at the bottom of the link in the first post of this thread.

And I have no idea why people get so excited over top facing camera that it must be elaborated on to know that the psp does support tfc.

I only pay about $60/month for my plan with all taxes included, and not interested in paying triple digit phone bills.

Great good for you. Of course you get that because you dont pay for texting. When you match up feature for feature sprint's plan comes out cheaper, and gives you more.

And that bit about how the captivate is a far cry from the iphone in features is BS. Even the most diehard iphone supporters dont claim that.

And that bit about how the captivate is a far cry from the iphone in features is BS. Even the most diehard iphone supporters dont claim that.

Paying for texting is a relic of the past when you have free push google e-mail on your phone. Also the captivate is currently running a loss-leader promotion at walmart, it's regular price is $199 from AT&T site. Also, sorry but the only carrier that rivals/betters AT&T for national presence/number of subscribers, and coverage is Verizon, not Sprint. Not to mention both Sprint and Verizon's "3G" tech is so advanced that you can't do a data transfer and be on a call at the same time unlike AT&T, and sprint 4G is in very few places.

Captivate simply doesn't match up when you consider that when the iphone user is running ios5 next year, captivate will still be stuck with android 2.1, just ask the droid eris users. Also it does not compare to iphone 4g since it does not have as high of a resolution screen or facetime.

Just to get this thread back into the topic, iphone will always have more games than the competition, and always more customers willing to buy instead of pirating content.

edepot,

No one gives a shit who came up with what first. The key is always who executes the concept the best in the eyes of the general consumer. Sony would give a collective left nut to get the mindshare for the PSP that Apply enjoys with the iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back