Is 720P rez 50 or 60Hz in Euroland?

Guden Oden

Legend
Someone here in PAL-land with a HDTV/monitor that can show this info, can you confirm the vertical blank frequency please... Thanks!

PGR3 was 60hz on my TFT screen trough vga cable when i set up my xbox360 to 1280x1024 (or any other res actualy)

HDTV har helt gjort sig av med PAL-arvet och är universalt. HDTVs "round the world" har 60hz.

Vilket betyder inga mer 17% långsammare PAL-portar :)

Shrike_Priest said:
HDTV har helt gjort sig av med PAL-arvet och är universalt. HDTVs "round the world" har 60hz.

Vilket betyder inga mer 17% långsammare PAL-portar :)

You might wanna try that in a different language...English for example... You are making us Swedes look stupid ;-)

Anyway that's nice with no more 50hz and not as much work on ports between the US and EU terretory.

Although for a TV to get the "HDTV ready" label in Europe, it has to support 720p at 50 and 60Hz. Same for 1080i.

I believe it is 50hz in pal territories ( maybe different for some country's ), 60hz will work just fine on pretty much every pal HDTV anyway.

[maven] said:
Although for a TV to get the "HDTV ready" label in Europe, it has to support 720p at 50 and 60Hz. Same for 1080i.

No it doesn't, It only has to have 720 or more horizontal lines, so a tv that has 1024x768 resolution can use HD ready badge. It's funny how they manage to screw up a simple thing like that.

Maven is talking about signal formats, and he is right. You are talking about the native resolution of the display and you are partially, it is 720 lines minimum but specifically 720 lines in widescreen. So not any 1024x768 display can qualify for the HD Ready logo, but only the widescreen ones. There wasn't any screw up in the way they laid that out either, they couldn't specify horizontal resolutions since analog displays don't have a discrete horizontal resolution.

Dr Evil said:
No it doesn't, It only has to have 720 or more horizontal lines, so a tv that has 1024x768 resolution can use HD ready badge. It's funny how they manage to screw up a simple thing like that.

Maven is right, Doc.

The HD-Ready logo is given to those panels that have:

- at least 720 lines
- HDMI (or DVI with HDCP) and component
- support both 50Hz and 60Hz

All the above MUST be there or the TV is not HD-Ready and therefore not officially an HDTV in Europe - just a high resolution panel, like they used to be before the HDTV standards were finalised in Europe.

PAL HD broadcasts will be in 50Hz but the panels will have to support 60Hz for obvious reasons, from games to other material not made in PAL territories.

Buying a HD-Ready TV is "safe" as it will support both 50Hz and 60Hz.

kyleb said:
Maven is talking about signal formats, and he is right. You are talking about the native resolution of the display and you are partially, it is 720 lines minimum but specifically 720 lines in widescreen. So not any 1024x768 display can qualify for the HD Ready logo, but only the widescreen ones.

Actually no. (unless that "not" is not supposed to be there, which would make more sense)

Panasonic Plasmas (some of the best, especially the TX500) have a native resolution of 1024x768 (or 1024x720, can't remember) but are fully HD-Ready and look absolutely stunning even without having a full 1280x720 resolution.
That's because the EICTA (European Industry Association for Information Systems, Communication Technologies and Consumer Electronics) only specified that the panel should have more than 720 lines to be qualified as a HDTV, without specifying the horizontal resolution.
Doesn't really matter much, those Panasonic Plasmas look better than most panels with a "real" 720p resolution.

I'm pretty sure they're using two different logo's.

HD-ready (in other words: bogus) and HD-TV (the good stuff).

They look almost the same...

pipo said:
I'm pretty sure they're using two different logo's.

HD-ready (in other words: bogus) and HD-TV (the good stuff).

They look almost the same...

Nope.
There is only one logo. The Panasonic TX500 plasma is fully HD-Ready and can be called an HDTV.

Also, HD-Ready is not the bogus one in Europe, HDTV is, as it only covers the resolution, while HD-Ready covers all other features i explained earlier.

foz said:
still must be 720p 50hz compatable in uk to get badge probably 50hz at 1080 to

Of course. The set accepts all resolutions up to 1080i and will display at 720p - or the native resolution of 1024x768 to be precise... It doesn't have square pixels (like many other sets).
The set has HDMI and supports both 50 and 60Hz. It is a HD-Ready TV.

london-boy said:
Nope.
There is only one logo. The Panasonic TX500 plasma is fully HD-Ready and can be called an HDTV.

Also, HD-Ready is not the bogus one in Europe, HDTV is, as it only covers the resolution, while HD-Ready covers all other features i explained earlier.

Ah. Cheers!

london-boy said:
Panasonic Plasmas (some of the best, especially the TX500) have a native resolution of 1024x768 (or 1024x720, can't remember) but are fully HD-Ready and look absolutely stunning even without having a full 1280x720 resolution.
I take it you mean some of the pv500 plasmas? the tx code is used on the LCDs (like the tx32lxd500), all of which do support the 'full' 720p resolution

london-boy said:
Actually no. (unless that "not" is not supposed to be there, which would make more sense)

That's because the EICTA (European Industry Association for Information Systems, Communication Technologies and Consumer Electronics) only specified that the panel should have more than 720 lines to be qualified as a HDTV, without specifying the horizontal resolution.
Doesn't really matter much, those Panasonic Plasmas look better than most panels with a "real" 720p resolution.
The "not" is supposed to be there, as 1024x768 native 4:3 displays do not qualify for the HD-Ready mark since they have less than 720 active lines when running 16:9. On the other hand, the plasma's you mention do qualify as they have 768 active lines when displaying 16:9 content as that is their native aspect ratio. So again; not any 1024x768 display can qualify for the HD Ready logo, but only the widescreen ones.

Back