Is 60fps the new thing for next-gen?

There were 60 fps 3rd party titles, that I assume will be 60 fps on PS4. Only if these are lower framerate, or PS4's graphics are toned down compared to XB1's, should anyone start to question the hardware.
But with real hardware advantage,(may be in development time too) why we see the opposite picture?

But with real hardware advantage,(may be in development time too) why we see the opposite picture?
We haven't seen the same game to compare. They are different games on different platforms designed to different criteria. The reason we see the opposite picture is because Sony's devs have chosen to target 30 fps, MS's have chosen 60 fps. Unless MS's games look the same as Sony's but are running faster (and that's not something that can be discussed due to a lack of engine understanding from everyone involved, subjective interpretation of what is being seen, and that such comparisons always end as silly fanboy bickering), there's no 'opposite picture'.

A 2.5D fighting game (a genre that has basically always had 60fps last gen) and a sim(my) racing game that was 60fps last gen as well isn't necessarily an opposite picture, in my book.

A 2.5D fighting game (a genre that has basically always had 60fps last gen) and a sim(my) racing game that was 60fps last gen as well isn't necessarily an opposite picture, in my book.

Indeed...

I find it odd that many seem to be taking this weird perspective that any of either Sony or MS as publishers are "pushing" 30 or 60 fps in any of the games they showed at E3, when in actual fact it is highly unlikely that the framerate would be something a publisher of any game would try to dictate.

It's pretty evident to me that the individual development teams of all games shown, made the decisions about the framerate they individually decided to target, and I find it rather disingenuous that gamers and moreso DF would try to intimate or propagate this bizzare narrative that Sony or MS are pushing their devs to target a particular framerate that otherwise wouldn't have been targeted by the devs simply because it "made sense" for the individual game.

It just seems a little premature to me to try and take anything away from E3, and start making conclusions about the HW, or even the intents or involvement of the two platform holders and publishers in their first party and third party game development targets.

60 or 30 I don't really care just lock the frame rate down if that means less going on in game so be it .

I say this from a purely selfesh reason I've lost count of the amount of times I've felt sick when playing a game that has a wildly fluctuating frame rate .

Do you get motion sick when playing games like CoD or God of War?

Portal makes me motion sick. I hear many Valve games have this effect, not because of the framerate, but because of the lense (slightky fish-eyed). I thought that was an interesting theory as Resistance 2 has the same effect on me.

lense? you mean fov ?
you can change fov on most valve games by typing the following into the console
sv_cheats 1
fov xx
or try
cl_fov xx
be aware this is considered a cheat I have no idea if valve are ok with it in single player use at your own risk

It might be the combination of lense and frame rate.
Motion sickness is a mystery to me. I seem to be more prone to it in games with higher framerate, when it is unstable.

It happens to me in Serious Sam 3 on the X360. The game tries to run at 60 fps but it is hovering 40fps most of the time -SS has a framerate counter-.

The result; if I play it over HDMI at 720p I get motion sickness.

When I play it at 1680x1050 on VGA I don't get motion sickness but I prefer the sharper image of HDMI, so it's a tough call.

As for the 30 fps standard on the PS4 based on the little we know, well, it doesn't matter much now after all. If it became a constant it'd be worrisome of course. I expect much more from the console in the future considering its hardware. I am the biggest fan of 60 fps in games. :eek:

How many fps I need to be satisfied is...

24 fps is my absolute minimum.

Back