Is 60fps the new thing for next-gen?

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
It seems like we're going to see a lot more 60fps games for next gen. We already learnt about Battlefield 4, but there are a few other titles too. What to say for instance about Assassin's Creed, which according to GamerSyde's BlimBlim was running at 1080p @60fps on PS4:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_assassin_s_creed_iv_black_flag_multiplayer_gameplay_e3-30237_en.html

I know many hardcore gamers have preferred 60fps, and I myself tend to prefer it too.

Very interested in seeing where this will go.

I'm wondering if this is mostly due to having a base development centered around PS360. Otherwise, yeah, dynamic resolution might be at play too. Or perhaps it's a multiplayer thing only (Titanfall, ACIV). With BF4 they're trying to match COD all around (wonder if they're just experimenting to see if that's the deal-breaker to attract that crowd to their side).

The Halo @60fps announcement was a surprise though.

AC Blackflag on the Sony PK looked more like 20 fps, so I'm guessing it's probably not a thing.

Yeah, it should probably be noted that the Gamersyde footage above is for multiplayer off-screen. I don't think that's confirmation really, but I haven't seen the video.

You may be right that it's more for multiplayer, not sure. But GamerSyde is rather 60fps minded (it's their thing, posting 60fps videos) and BlimBlim is generally right when he says something is 60fps.

As sebbbi has explained, 60 fps is very much a CPU question, have all game logic execute on time. As last gen shaders were already complex enough, the increase in fragment processing power doesn't have to be that big either, and the fill rate needs are probably just a linear increase thanks to deferred rendering.

Also, I don't think 1080p will mean 1920*1080 ;)

Same old trade offs (prettier graphics vs responsiveness) just new hardware. Maybe some devs are tired of CoD getting to use the 60fps claim and want to take that talking point away.

To avoid tearing and frame rate drops, I hope they use vsync and triple buffering. Considering 10x the usable RAM and at most 2x the resolution it shouldn't be an issue.

Of the games I know of there is pretty much every combination of 720/1080 and 30/60 fps.
You will certainly see more games at 60fps this time, just because the compromise isn't so stark. Because in large part to diminishing returns 2x the polygons, 2x the flops and 2x the pixels are just not the dramatic leap visually it was last gen

Of the games I know of there is pretty much every combination of 720/1080 and 30/60 fps.
You will certainly see more games at 60fps this time, just because the compromise isn't so stark. Because in large part to diminishing returns 2x the polygons, 2x the flops and 2x the pixels are just not the dramatic leap visually it was last gen

That's good news to me ERP. More 60fps console gaming is what I've always wanted coming out of the DC/PS2/GC/XBOX generation. The previous generation was too much 30fps/sub 30fps.

AC Blackflag on the Sony PK looked more like 20 fps, so I'm guessing it's probably not a thing.

To be fair, Assassin's Creed 3 on Xbox ran with a unlocked framerate. Some parts of the game was near 50fps... Which was jarring regarding controller response.

BF4 was running on a PC so that doesn't count and all the other games are running last generation game engines and assets so it's not surprising they're running 1080/60.

If framerate affects or is affected by resolution, lighting, particle effects etc, I'd rather they go with 30fps locked...

I'm still waiting for the holy grail of lighting and fire. The division may have the best lighting I have seen yet but it damn sure aint perfect.

Of the games I know of there is pretty much every combination of 720/1080

b3d had a thread of console games and their resolutions and practically none of them where 1920x1080(very rare) about half were 1280x720 and half were less than that
for example bf3 is 1280x704 on both consoles

I dont think thats true b3d had a thread of console games and their resolutions and most of them were not even 1280x720 (cant find it at the mo)
for example bf3 is 1280x704 on both consoles

I'm talking about the PS4/XB1 games I'm aware of.
As I say there is no real standard, though MS seem to be pushing 60fps from their conference.

Back