Which is your IQ preference

• Board B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Board C

• All Look the Same / Can't Tell

• Total voters
Do this with an in-game screenshot and I will vote. How am I supposed to have a preference here? They're all ugly! :D

<suggestion>
Is there any way to have Polls without allowing open discussion of the results? This may be a better way of obtaining truely uninfluenced votes. Would locking the thread still allow votes to be casted? Perhaps once the voting is officially over, lock the Poll from further votes and unlock the thread to allow discussion.
</suggestion>

BRiT said:
<suggestion>
Is there any way to have Polls without allowing open discussion of the results? This may be a better way of obtaining truely uninfluenced votes. Would locking the thread still allow votes to be casted? Perhaps once the voting is officially over, lock the Poll from further votes and unlock the thread to allow discussion.
</suggestion>

I was kind of wondering that myself... should we refrain from discussing the differences we may/may not perceive?

Sorry did not see the above posts..Thats a good idea so I will delete what I said and save it for later

That is why I didn't say anything. But I think it is interesting that really no one knows what is going on. And regular people won't see much difference from a screen shot like this.

Kinda OT, but is there any way to change my vote? After looking at the images closer, I want to change it.

DarN said:
Do this with an in-game screenshot and I will vote. How am I supposed to have a preference here? They're all ugly! :D
Agreed. It seems to me any preference expressed here would be technical in nature, made by people who can understand the filtering performed simply by looking at the artifacts produced by this purportedly corner-case texture.

So, way over my head. =)

Could we have an option to vote for "worst IQ"? :D

In the AF shots I have a clear winner, but in the other shots I have a draw between two winners. (loser is still the same as in the AF shots)

I'm also quite suprised by the results so far. Once we hear which card is which, I'm eager to hear why people choose the way they did. (Especially concerning the AF shots)

Well, when looking at the shots, I threw out card A reasonably quickly as there was some additional discoloration that cards B and C had, but that choice was clearly due to personal preference, as B and C had more moire for the moire patterns that looked monochrome. I decided that the discoloration would have been more noticeable.

Then, when choosing between B and C, I looked closely at the moire. Card B appeared to have slightly lower LOD, and thus less moire. While this may not be better for more sane cases, I'd say it was better here. So, I chose card B.

Good IQ test! But I'd like to have another test (pick best IQ + which card is 420) for an in game shot with a "long" floor.

Chalnoth said:

BRiT said:
<suggestion>
</suggestion>

Perhaps "clean" that post Chalnoth, so we can have a more valid test?

MrGaribaldi said:
My post isn't visible when a user first enters the thread. I really don't see the problem. People should be looking at the images before reading beyond the first post anyway.

Chalnoth said:
MrGaribaldi said:
My post isn't visible when a user first enters the thread. I really don't see the problem. People should be looking at the images before reading beyond the first post anyway.

Why should they do the test first and then read the post?
Since there is a varying degree of knowledge among the user base, some of us would probably read the thread first to understand what differences to look for, as it could then be easier for them to see for themselves, before doing the comparison. Thus I felt it would be better to keep the thread clean for rationalising of why who voted what.

But if you feel differently, that is your option...

I would really like the discussion about why people choose a card to wait a bit till we have more votes. (unless 50 is about all we can expect)

One discussion that we may have to do right now is if the moire pattern is confusing the matter.
Normally more sharpness means more moire, and is then the result of a better IQ. But some people might dislike moire and choose a fuzzier image because of that. Would that be a good indication of higher IQ???

I think not. Especially since that moire pattern probably won't show up in the textures used in games, but the extra sharpnes will.

You see the same with high quality monitors. The sharper the monitor, the sooner you get moire patterns.

No, that's not true. Moire patterns are one form that texture aliasing takes. While you won't see texture aliasing that looks like this in a real game, texture aliasing does take on other appearances in game situations. Sure, aggressive LOD bias will look great in screenshots, but it typically looks pretty poor in motion, where you get lots of texture shimmering.

Back