Intel working on Larrabee 2.

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by nAo, Oct 4, 2008.

1. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

oDepth has been available since DX8 IIRC!

2. Jawed

Legend

Yeah, that is the point I was trying to get across.

As for swizzling, I presume that's purely an ALU pipeline problem: swizzling + masking, D3D10 introduced all the "integer" and bit-wise instructions needed to do this, I think. The cache-hierarchy + memory I/O + compression hardware just see blobs of 32- or 128-bits (not sure...)

I meant reading the existing Z then changing it, as opposed to merely overwriting by setting oDepth. Likening this RMW to blending colour in a render target, except with Z or stencil.

I have to admit I don't understand how fast-Z and writing oDepth are going to work together. I'd forgotten D3D11 supports that.

Jawed

3. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

If you can guarantee that any depth value you write via oDepth is farther away from the camera than the 'canonical' z value than the hardware can still perform conservative early z-test.

4. TimothyFarrar

Regular

Silly me, forgot the word "conservative" in front of oDepth...

While I'm at it, the word swizzle is too abused and means many different things. What I was referring to prior was something which does address=TextureAddressOf(int x, int y) for "tiled" or "swizzled" textures... and this would definitely be something you want in hardware.

#64 TimothyFarrar, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  5. Jawed

Legend

Knowing that ATI does range-based hierarchical early-Z culling, I'm fearful that this concept of "conservative" is not actually conservative enough.

Jawed