Intel Overclock lock...

I'm sure by now most of you have heard of the fsb overclock lock on the new Intel chipsets. One such article dealing with it can be found over here http://anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2092

The issue I had been having a hard time wrapping my mind around was why would Intel do this. At first glance it would seem that it's intended to force users to buy a more expensive and higher clocked chip instead of overclocking. This is actually just counter intuitive it's designed to thwart the hardcore users, a group that Intel frankly couldn't care about. They WILL just go buy AMD instead of a higher priced and clocked Intel chip. So I couldn't seem to understand, they lose a segment of the market they seem to not care about as a result. So I guess why invest the time and money into developing this in the first place?

I couldn't resolve this issue until I had a rather enlightening discussion with some friends of mine over at Intel, I asked them quite directly what the point of it was. All I got in return was some mumbling about the Chinese, and then a straight up about remarkers. I called BS on the remarker part since the multiplier lock has pretty much taken care of that issue, and that's about as far as I got with them.

So I'm left to decipher what was meant in an under the breath mumble about China. Is it really as clear cut as Intel wants force the people of China into buying higher priced chips instead of doing what many "hardcore" users here have been doing for ages?

So I guess that issue resolves the question of why do it. Now I suppose the next question is, if they truly think the Chinese will risk instability by overclocking, what makes them think that the Chinese won't just go with a not as well known company **cough*AMD*cough** ?

I suppose that has just come full circle, the hardcore enthusiast crowd will just jump ship to AMD, and most likely so will any foreign countries/companies/individuals who would like to get more for their money. I guess it's really just a lose, lose situation for Intel in this regard. I hope they backtrack in the future and remove this.

Back