Intel progresses with Tiger Lake

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by Leovinus, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Leovinus

Newcomer

Wccftech had an article up yesterday about some leaked Geekbench performance metrics on the new Intel Tiger Lake chip being prepared for the low power U series in the 15 to 25W TDP range. I have to say that the IPC improvements over Ice Lake seems to be a nice little bump. I can't wait to see ultra-portables embrace it.

Now I have to be honest, I don't keep up with all the news surrounding Intel and its roadmap. But has there been any suggestion that Intel might bite the bullet and back-port Ice or Tiger lake architecture designs to 14nm? So far as I know they have yet to get decent silicon at higher TDP's on their 10nm. Or is the goal here just to stretch Coffee Lake on the high end for another year until hopefully they crack the TDP barrier they've hit? I might be mixing up my lakes... and coves...

2. jayco

Veteran Regular

swaaye likes this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

What the hell? The massive difference in clocks between base clock and boost clock. Are current cpus this different? Nearly 2GHz difference.

"The Intel Core i7-1165G7 features four cores, 8 threads that are clocked at a base frequency of 2.8 GHz, and a boost frequency of 4.7 GHz. The CPU features 12 MB of L3 and 5 MB of L2 cache"​

4. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Very common for laptop parts.

BRiT likes this.
  5. Entropy

Veteran

Yup. The implikation being that for anything other than a quick single-threaded burst (benchmark or Java-whatever), your performance will be far from peak. Which is still useful, mind you, but a limitation to keep in mind depending on usage for someone looking to replace a desktop system.

BRiT likes this.
  6. Laurent06

Regular

Even looking at GB4 results, the top score was with sustained 4.7 GHz and it seems to be an outlier, as others were running around 4.0/4.1 GHz.

Ref: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=1165g7

BRiT likes this.
  7. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

8. Gubbi

Veteran

The small advances in peak performance seem to come at great cost in overall power consumption for Intel.

They really need catch up to TSMC in production capability.

Cheers

9. jayco

Veteran Regular

I hope so. Lack of competition hurts us all. But it's also important to remember than after 3 generation of Ryzen: Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2, AMD has just cached up with a 6 year old Intel arch compromised by a lot of security issues. AMD is competitive because Intel has just been bumping clocks for the past 5 years.

10. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

Isn't part of problem that Intel's 10-nm can't compete with their own uber-refined 14nm process? I mean Rocket lake is actually a backport of their new architecture designed for 10nm. We've yet to see if increased competition leads to Intel unchained.

#11 seahorsesaw, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020