Inquirer: Ps3 hardware far from done.

ROG27 said:
People speak like sony has never handled a console launch before.
I dunno how development on the PSX progressed but schedules were a lot more forgiving then, with the PS2 they didnt make a fuckup comparable to the RSX. Their past experience is worthless.

Yeah, makes me wonder...

Anything news-worthy on the RSX front MfA? ;)

Too many Sony three-letter acronyms - hard to know if RSX is what he meant.

london-boy said:
Well, NEVER TRUST THE INQUIRER, but in the end, don't you guys think that if Sony had a working PS3 in their hands, they'd be showing it actually running something? Like when they first had working PSPs, they were very keen in showing it off - to great public happiness.

As a matter of fact, Groo (Charlie @ the Inq) is well connected and has a pretty good track record. It's Fuad et. al that are highly suspect.

Cheers
Gubbi

MfA said:
I dunno how development on the PSX progressed but schedules were a lot more forgiving then, with the PS2 they didnt make a fuckup comparable to the RSX. Their past experience is worthless.

I think he meant to say RSX...

And what is that fuck-up exactly?

Well, If INQ is a confident source:

Spong LOL

CES Fallout: Sony expected to herald "next gen 1.5"
Tactical delay – reposition believed to be underway

As the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas closes its gates, speculation as to why Sony refused to make any significant mention of its PlayStation 3 leads most event-dissection conversations. It was thought that the gaming giant would use the event as a platform to add meat to its proposed program for spring 2006 launch, though as you'll be aware, just hours before the show it was clear this would not be the case.

The seeming reluctance to show the PlayStation 3 saw some wild speculation, with Internet fakers successfully duping some sites into believing that Sony next-generation is floundering – with SCE unable to lock down hardware specifics and developers failing to cope with the 4,000 or so SDKs already shipped.

According to several gaming executives and developers we spoke with, this is simply not the case, in fact it is easy to develop for. It is widely believed that, rather than pressure itself into an early launch – likely riddled with software support, supply and reliability issues – Sony will wait. It will force what was described to us as '...the perception [amongst consumers] of a different generation. Like Next-generation point five.' The idea is simple. It lets Microsoft have its day, sell as many Xbox 360s as it can make and completely distances itself from the machine. It waits a year and then launches with what will be heavily marketed as a generational advancement on anything that has preceded it. In doing so it bides its time, avoids any issues associated with a time-pressured launch and builds a stronger case for consumers to again part with cash for hardware.

We contacted Sony for official clarification on the launch situation for PlayStation 3. Jennie Kong, SCE PR manager responded explaining, “There has been only one official announcement so far which was Spring 2006, as per the E3 presentation.â€￾

So when should we expect the PlayStation 3 to launch, and what should we expect when it does. Perhaps first of all, it's important to underline what the PlayStation 3 represents. You can safely ignore Microsoft's chatter about “...we're both driving Ferraris...â€￾ because it simply isn't true. Well it might be true, if Microsoft sees itself in an F355 and Sony in an Enzo, though that analogy only adds to the belief that we are really boringly obsessed with cars.

The PlayStation 3 will be significantly more powerful that the Xbox 360. It might not do some of the clever things the Xbox 360 does, but it is a more powerful, more capable, more flexible and more dynamic piece of kit. It will, eventually, play better-looking games that its competitor and the Japanese will actually buy it. Even if the case and joypad designs we've seen to date are aesthetically-challenged.

From what we've gathered, the PlayStation 3 will launch in later summer 2006 in Japan, following a significant campaign pressing the connectivity features between the home console and the PSP. Sony will ignore the Xbox 360, relegating to a different, older generation of home console thus justifying your further investment in game-playing machinery.

And history suggests Sony will succeed.

You can read a report on SCE's CES showing here, and a full rundown of Bill Gates' keynote address here.

It's always those ol' reliable sources (spong and inq) that come out with the breaking news whenever there seems to be nothing left to say.

:LOL:

Hexus - So we’ve finally managed to get a look at the PS3 in real life rather than just relying on Sony’s press shots to get and idea of what the new console will look like. However, it’s well worth noting that Sony had the PS3 console in their home entertainment stand labelled up as the “PS3 Concept Unitâ€￾ which would suggest the PS3 could well look different from this, though elsewhere in the show, where the PS3 was being highlighted, there was no mention of the unit or design being a concept.
I knew Sony was using the term "concept design" with reference to the PS3 controller, but this is the first time I have heard, or at least was made aware, that the term was being used with reference to the console case. I'm really starting to wonder if Sony is having to change the case design in order to properly cool the components.

-aldo

aldo said:
I knew Sony was using the term "concept design" with reference to the PS3 controller, but this is the first time I have heard, or at least was made aware, that the term was being used with reference to the console case. I'm really starting to wonder if Sony is having to change the case design in order to properly cool the components.

-aldo

Nah, the console design has been 'concept' the entire time as well.

The Inq us unreliable trash.. but July is springtime... :LOL:

If you look at the pattern of the Inq, they start out sort of remotely accurate and usually have the information totally dialed in at least 30 days before launch of a product. That is talking hardware specs etc. On other information they are usually a lot more accurate, because the information is not nearly as guarded.

You guys slam the Inq as a knee jerk reaction. It would serve you better to take the Inq on a case by case basis. You will find out they are a lot closer to accurate overall than you give them credit for.

Take this story as an example. It is pretty much dead on accurate at this point. it seems highly dubious that Sony will make a launch by the end of may. It would seem far more realistic for an October/November launch.

But we shall see.

boltneck said:
The Inq us unreliable trash.. but July is springtime... :LOL:

If you look at the pattern of the Inq, they start out sort of remotely accurate and usually have the information totally dialed in at least 30 days before launch of a product. That is talking hardware specs etc. On other information they are usually a lot more accurate, because the information is not nearly as guarded.

You guys slam the Inq as a knee jerk reaction. It would serve you better to take the Inq on a case by case basis. You will find out they are a lot closer to accurate overall than you give them credit for.

Take this story as an example. It is pretty much dead on accurate at this point. it seems highly dubious that Sony will make a launch by the end of may. It would seem far more realistic for an October/November launch.

But we shall see.

All the rest was unnecessary. ;)

The PlayStation 3 will be significantly more powerful that the Xbox 360. It might not do some of the clever things the Xbox 360 does, but it is a more powerful, more capable, more flexible and more dynamic piece of kit. It will, eventually, play better-looking games that its competitor and the Japanese will actually buy it. Even if the case and joypad designs we've seen to date are aesthetically-challenged.

That is simply untrue. The CELL may be more powerful but it has little to do with what the visuals will look like other than frame rate. Teh RSX is inferior to the Xenos and that is not going to get changed by their CPU. In fact I will go as far as saying the PS3 will be the one leapfrogged visually. Because once the Programmers of the 360 start using memexport to its full extent the visual effects capable are simply beyond what the RSX can produce. No amount of Cell threads can change that.

This is pure marketing drivel.

The media needs to educate themselves so they can do some accurate analasys.

MfA said:
That they decided way too late to use it.

And how late is too late...what source of information are you getting this from?

I heard that NVidia has been working with Sony on RSX for the good part of 3 years now.

MfA said:
That they decided way too late to use it.

Phew, I thought you were talking abot something more serious! ;)

We've been through the NVidia/Sony thing a couple of times now, so either you're speculating on that point as some others have done, or you have inside information that you can't tell us anyway. Either way, I imagine not too much to discuss on that point.

boltneck said:
That is simply untrue. The CELL may be more powerful but it has little to do with what the visuals will look like other than frame rate. Teh RSX is inferior to the Xenos and that is not going to get changed by their CPU. In fact I will go as far as saying the PS3 will be the one leapfrogged visually. Because once the Programmers of the 360 start using memexport to its full extent the visual effects capable are simply beyond what the RSX can produce. No amount of Cell threads can change that.

This is pure marketing drivel.

The media needs to educate themselves so they can do some accurate analasys.

For someone getting pissy at speculation being claimed as fact, you're sure doing a lot of that.

boltneck said:
In other words, your a PS3 homer and thats all you care about. :LOL:

Speaking of assumptions. Some need to take their own advice. I am not attached to any company but I do enjoy nintendo and sony products. I own an xbox but don't really get much use out of it. I'll probably own a 360 as well. There are many IPs that MS has secured that look promising indeed. This has nothing to do with the timing of the PS3. If anything I'm being optomistic. You are being a pessimist.

This equates to 1 point for me and NO POINTS FOR YOU!!!

boltneck said:
Because once the Programmers of the 360 start using memexport to its full extent the visual effects capable are simply beyond what the RSX can produce.
That's great! Can't wait. Can you give some examples of how MEMEXPORT will be used to improve XB360's graphics?

boltneck said:
The RSX is inferior to the Xenos and that is not going to get changed by their CPU. In fact I will go as far as saying the PS3 will be the one leapfrogged visually. Because once the Programmers of the 360 start using memexport to its full extent the visual effects capable are simply beyond what the RSX can produce. No amount of Cell threads can change that.

CELL can make quite a difference, especially if it's 2 to 3 times more powerful than the X360 CPU in critical areas, and MEMEXPORT is certainly not going to be deciding factor in this generation.

I really am amazed how Xenos gets so talked up in this forum, when it's roughly equal to RSX.

Back