inFAMOUS Second Son [PS4]

Sorry man. And uh, well you know Santa? Well I have some bad news for you.

Huh? So, like, alcoholism isn't a reasonable theme for a mission because it's a legal substance with apparent evils? :???:

If inFamous had missions centered around killing liquor store employees you might have an argument there. However the game takes on the trappings of a contemporary PNW setting except for this one jarring and nonsensical plot device straight out of the darkest 1980s. Either they were out of ideas, just didn't give a damn or someone high up in Sucker Punch secretly wanted to do a N.A.R.C. reboot.

=)

Cheers

If inFamous had missions centered around killing liquor store employees you might have an argument there.
You know the missions to which I think you refer only exist in one karmic play through, and relate to another characters particular motivations. If we're talking about the same thing
Killing drug dealers?
Because of
Fetch's brother

Or am I mistaken and you're talking about something else!?!

You know the missions to which I think you refer only exist in one karmic play through, and relate to another characters particular motivations. If we're talking about the same thing
Killing drug dealers?
Because of
Fetch's brother

The mission type is connected to that plot point but gets quickly derailed
when it is clearly shown when Deslin opens a crate of contraband that the "drugs" being referred to are a plant considered safe and non-addicting enough by the state government and thought harmless enough by the general population to be legal in the state the game is set in. From there we have one of the main side mission types dedicated to drug "busts" (either trap or kill or both) which makes no sense for the setting (PNW) or character (counter culture kid).

They could have made it a lot easier to buy into if they had either made up some evil addictive substance or used one of the many that already exist. Instead they went all 1980s to the detriment of suspension of disbelief.

It's a lazy trope and one that clashes with the setting. I won't be surprised if at some point you encounter a "hooker with a heart of gold" or if the game ends with "Oh, what a terrible dream".

=)

The previous inFamous games were not like this. It's a bit like the difference between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3.

Cheers

It's a lazy trope and one that clashes with the setting.

I think you're reading too much into it.
I don't remember the game being specific about the substance but it was clear Fetch was crazy with guilt over what she did to her brother and her actions were a form of guilt transference. Delsin, for his part, was trying to get Fetch to stop the killing so he schools her on the use of restraint. Like I said, this storyline only exists in the good karma play through.

I don't think the game is attempting any particular commentary here. It's a fictional world with different fictional rules and some things probably translate better to an international audience, regardless of the legal reality in the real world version of this fictional city.

I don't think the game is attempting any particular commentary here. It's a fictional world with different fictional rules and some things probably translate better to an international audience, regardless of the legal reality in the real world version of this fictional city.

I think the international audience got the message which is that"Drugs are bad" and that defeating drug dealers it's "a good thing".

Last edited by a moderator:
The game clearly shows needles with respect to Bret and the dealers have guns standing on the streets, I don't see any ambiguity with respect to the karma.

I think the use of plant based drug related materials is also easier for the general audience to relate to and identify. I don't think there was any focused attempt to make a grandiose statement about the whole cycle of abuse and addiction.

It's beyond ridiculous that a game released in 2014 that takes place in the PNW would have an entire mission type dedicated to the apparent evils of a substance that is legal in the state. Beyond lazy writing in this game. Would not be the least surprised to see nazi zombie DLC released for it.

Well, the missions on the opposite end of the karmic spectrum include such imaginative activities as beating up street musicians. Subtlety apparently wasn't a priority for whoever wrote this game.

It's beyond ridiculous that a game released in 2014 that takes place in the PNW would have an entire mission type dedicated to the apparent evils of a substance that is legal in the state. Beyond lazy writing in this game.
I can only assume you're talking about the drug dealers, so to what "substance" are you referring? Because those guys ain't dealing weed.

Back