Impressive games for their time.

Still, it was probably too much SH for so few years. By the time The Room came out, more traditional horror games were on their way out. Probably because RE4 ushered in the era of tight controls and mechanics.
Which is why P.T. could've been the shot in the arm the series needed. Ultimately Konami lacked the belief in their own series, or Kojima or both.

Was there really so much combat in The Room? I remember it being somewhat in line with the other games. There are quite a lot of enemies in SH3. Quite a lot in SH1 as well. SH2 is kind of the odd one out. Not so much because there's nothing to fight, but because it's so easy to avoid everything. In The Room, you could neither outrun nor kill its most infamous enemies.
I thought the Room was a pretty cool game actually. Just like in SH2's case, the more tangential connection to the cult of SH made for a more interesting story I thought. SH1 and 3 are really convoluted and goofy. I also really enjoyed the way the room in "The Room" evolved. Very cool concept.

Still, it was probably too much SH for so few years. By the time The Room came out, more traditional horror games were on their way out. Probably because RE4 ushered in the era of tight controls and mechanics.

I thought the room was great. Had some really freaky monsters, them twins that walked on their hands were crazy. The bloody ghosts that you couldn't kill were a pain but it is silent hill after all. The only silent hill after that I have played is downpour, and it was very poor.

It is sad that nobody mentioned Shenmue. This game was the GTA of it's time. It was the most expensive and most ambitious and most expensive game ever produced back then and the world was truly rich and alive.

It is sad that nobody mentioned Shenmue. This game was the GTA of it's time. It was the most expensive and most ambitious and most expensive game ever produced back then and the world was truly rich and alive.

I missed Shenmue and the sequel but I will be checking out the remasters that released today.

Really wonder whether Shenmue is gonna do anything at all for gamers who haven't experienced it when it came out on the DC. I'm gessing not to be honest. It's clunky and incredibly slow. And as impressive as it may have been all these years ago, it still came out right before that particular point in time in which 3d graphics reached a level of sophistication I'd consider good enough to not be much of a distraction today. I think it was with PS2 games that this level was reached personally. At least I'm not particularly bothered by the way games like Devil May Cry, or MGS2, or Jak & Daxter look.
I remember being blown away by the likes of Sonic Adventure and Blue Stinger (which is a horror game yet pure comedy gold), and these look pretty awful today.

Back