Impact of Corrinne Yu for ND/PS4?

Think even PS3 had a hypervisor.... but maybe only for the guest OS

Don't care what Corinne is doing at ND, as long as we get Elena in gorgeous 1080p and a nice honeymoon in e.g. Madagascar ;-)

The PS3 hypervisor is always there, even for games. It's lightweight compared to OS layers.

In PS4, developers don't have to worry about snapping with another app, naturally they only need to worry about making games on the target h/w.

Naturally it's part of the same framework. They're creating a universal platform across every windows device. You're taking what I would consider a massive leap forward for software developers and trying to turn it into a negative by injecting nonsense drivel. Though I suppose you could enlighten me as to why backwards compatibility isn't possible with those older systems since they ran a virtually unmodified high level API. Back to topic, It's no surprise that someone like her would prefer low level coding.

Uh she mentions the ps4 cuz that's her new job. You're trying way too hard.

Not really. Unless of course the XB1 doesn't have GPU libraries, Win8 OS derivatives etc.

If I wanted to try too hard I could just mung some data and provide correlation points that not only implied the tweet was about consoles but that you can get to Kevin Bacon in 5 more steps...:rolleyes:

But as it's really not worth the effort I'll just go back to pondering the impact that a developer\researcher of her calibre could have on one the top tier development houses in the world.

And I've just eaten a strawberry cornetto. Life is good.

Too much bloom and over brightening and blinding effects. It really made the entire game look like absolute trash. Imagine JJ Abrams hopped up on meth or crack. "But it's cinematic". Bah. Complete trash. And the graphics imposed significant limitations on the gameplay, to the point where they used more memory for ugly graphic mechanics that weapons you just dropped down right disappeared in front of you. At some points the wraith tank you're driving just disappears out from underneath you. All this because of memory limitations and pressures due to horrible graphics system.
The bloomy look was an art fad. Gears of War 3 was the same.

I don't think the graphics system was inept per se, but it traded off scale for something that would compare well against other high profile games in terms of character and environment detail. It didn't do everything well, but that has more to do with the limited hardware.

The bloomy look was an art fad. Gears of War 3 was the same.

Gears of war 3 was nowhere near as horrible as Halo4 in the bloom department.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what new techniques nextgen brings. ND has a lot of talent working for them.

Would be interesting if ND left Sony and created a multi platform engine along with an exclusive series on each console to showcase it. I think they'd be a great bet to pull it off.

According to that wikipedia entry she specifically created certain lighting algorythms used in Halo 4 (as well as a number of other things) .

"and invented new dynamic radiosity algorithms"

The lighting was not only less system demanding than HDR (allowing 343 to push full 720p) while still looking great and in some eyes equally or more appealing and (in some eyes less) than HDR.

Microsoft ended up patenting that technique she invented, so we won't see it coming over to naughty dog games.

halo3-vs-halo4-closeup.jpg

halo-4.jpg

m30_004.jpg

m30_005.jpg

She is lighting programmer ? Hell yeah ! Now this thread is worth its existence :p ! Bring on some fantastic tonemapping Corrine, like the MJP and friends made for KZ mercenary, let it roll Girl ! Let there be shadows for every light in NDs next game and realtime GI for every light source that matters !

Never thought I'd see the day when Halo 4 turns out to be bad looking.

Sure, there are some issues with stuff like disappearing shadows; but the overall presentation was very good and the art design exceptional. How this all became ugly is beyond my comprehension.

Would be interesting if ND left Sony and created a multi platform engine along with an exclusive series on each console to showcase it. I think they'd be a great bet to pull it off.

ND is owned by Sony, not sure they really got that possibility :)

Back