Impact of Corrinne Yu for ND/PS4?

SlimJim

Banned
Corrinne Yu is, or should I say, was, a respected developer for Microsoft.
She accomplished many things. But now she is going to be working for/with Naughty Dog.
Most technical people, and gamers as well know that Naughty Dog is synonymous for technical excellence. In the early PS3 days they proved what the hardware could do, and at the end they showed the true potential with the release of The Last of Us, which is regarded as one of the best games of this generation. Both gameplay and tech.

So imagine what could happen if such a technical excellent and capable studio, were to receive another excellent programmer?

source:
https://twitter.com/Corrinne

edit: omg, I just realised, what is she were to join the ICE team as well?? they have close ties to/ are ND as well right?
edit2: https://twitter.com/Corrinne/status/404080595040350208 looks like she is already enjoying herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So TB. tweets he takes credit for introducing her to https://twitter.com/mrengstad, lead ND engine and graphics developer. I guess they got talking and Corrinne really liked what she was hearing. Going by Wikipredia though, he husband works at 343, so there's a bit of a conflict of interest there. They'll need good firewalls in the family home. ;)

Now if only she could take some more with her. Let her take all the folks responsible for the steaming pile that is Halo 4. :devilish:

Reactions: NRP
I remember her from some interview long ago. Remember she's one of the earlier game devs.

Let's see the ND goods first ! :)

981JtRA.jpg

kkk569H.png

Whoa, nice pick up by ND. Main engine programmer at 343i iirc.

I seem to recall, this is the gal who once worked at 3DRealms on the original version of Prey, isn't it...? If so, she's crazy talented, for sure. I hope she will go on to create awesome tech. This gen will be really fun for graphics lovers, I think.

She is a genius for sure, but lets wait and see how she will fit into the ND team. I remember when id software hired an ICE team wizard (Jon Olick) and it did not work out as we all thought...

I love this move, hope that ND will have a third team that could even work on some smaller, cheaper and bolder titles (maybe crazy stuff like Blood Dragon and stuff you would more expect from indies, PS Vita, PSN download titles etc.).

I think there are a lot of smart people at ND. There are probably few studios that offer as much playroom for high level experimentation though that leads to things actually ending up in a game.

Oh yay! Corrinne is a lot of fun! I can remember her epic "Corrinne vs. Everybody: Shadow Volumes vs. Shadow Buffers" thread. I'm not too surprised though, I'd bump into her at E3 all the time with a bunch of SCEA Santa Monica and Naughty Dog guys.

Gearbox wasn't any graphic power house while she was with them, if I remember correctly the Halo pc ports were quite bad when it first came out.

Oh yay! Corrinne is a lot of fun! I can remember her epic "Corrinne vs. Everybody: Shadow Volumes vs. Shadow Buffers" thread. I'm not too surprised though, I'd bump into her at E3 all the time with a bunch of SCEA Santa Monica and Naughty Dog guys.
I remember a thread about her in this very forum. She is indeed very talented and seems to actually know how to conflate great graphics with gameplay.

Kinda makes sense, she might have an interest in GPU compute and perhaps the PS4 has more interesting opportunities to explore that angle of development?

Meh, she certainly didn't do much for Halo 4, nor did any of the other high priced, over-hyped talent 343 brought in.

Back