Impact of Corrinne Yu for ND/PS4?

So Halo 4 doesn't look good?

Too much bloom and over brightening and blinding effects. It really made the entire game look like absolute trash. Imagine JJ Abrams hopped up on meth or crack. "But it's cinematic". Bah. Complete trash. And the graphics imposed significant limitations on the gameplay, to the point where they used more memory for ugly graphic mechanics that weapons you just dropped down right disappeared in front of you. At some points the wraith tank you're driving just disappears out from underneath you. All this because of memory limitations and pressures due to horrible graphics system.

So TB. tweets he takes credit for introducing her to https://twitter.com/mrengstad, lead ND engine and graphics developer. I guess they got talking and Corrinne really liked what she was hearing. Going by Wikipredia though, he husband works at 343, so there's a bit of a conflict of interest there. They'll need good firewalls in the family home. ;)

Lol, seriously... but if a good family knows, especially with significant others working in the same field.... unless they really know how to handle it...

Never, ever bring the work talk home... lol... it can get competitive...

So Halo 4 doesn't look good?
Great animation system, even if I'm not a huge fan of the animations themselves.

Otherwise, it seems much more a technical sidegrade from Reach than any sort of upgrade.

It's got lots of foreground detail, and shading with respect to baked lightmaps looks really good (at least when conditions aren't changing rapidly).
However.
-Dynamic lighting arguably weakest in the entire series (no spotlights, no specularity, lights tend to be very small)
-Static water surface
-No AO
-No motion blur
-Very aggressive geometric LOD
-Some effects being used to fake detail are questionable, like the smudgy black contour shadows on the ground that fade when you come near
-HDR depth is nowhere near good enough to support what they're trying to do with the lighting. Seeing the bloom clamp left and right in some environments actually helped me to appreciate Halo 3's technical choices.
-Relatively little geometry allocated for far-off backgrounds
-Hardly any chromatic contrast, aside from tron lines

Combined with Halo 4's art style, you get a game which often looks muddy, blown-out, and sometimes excessively JJ Abrams'd.

And even if I did think the graphical decisions resulted in a consistantly amazing-looking (as opposed to occasionally amazing-looking but mostly just okay-looking) game, I wouldn't consider it worth the additional tradeoffs in level design, physics, garbage collection...

When all is said and done, Halo 4 is a really neat demo for some stuff, but overall I don't think it's as gorgeous or technically outstanding as it's made out to be. Bungie's frequent comments about designing the engine to serve the game and nothing else really do hit home with Halo 4.

Halo 4 made the wrong choices.

So, so many wrong choices.

But that's what happens when a franchise stagnates. Lots of wrong choices get made trying to inject life into it.

*edit*

Come to think of it that's probably why someone so talented would want to jump ship.

*tin foil time*
Or she's a secret agent planted by MS to sabotage anything ND produces.

But that's what happens when a franchise stagnates. Lots of wrong choices get made trying to inject life into it.

No, that's what happens when the developer changes and has a different vision of what constitutes good graphics compared to the previous development team.

Each iteration of Halo just got better and better graphically under the hands of Bungie. I personally still think Halo: Reach was the pinnacle of graphics for the series.

Regards,
SB

Come to think of it that's probably why someone so talented would want to jump ship.

*tin foil time*
Or she's a secret agent planted by MS to sabotage anything ND produces.

Irony is ND hired her, she didn't hire herself...probably got poached...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, very interesting!

I was asking her how come 343 (and other MS 1P studios) never do tech interviews and 'making of' features with Digital Foundry (unlike Sony's 1P studios).

She said that MS's 'community managers' won't let them and that MS thinks it best to leave 'external outfacing information' to the community managers rather than the devs.

She also complained that since working at MS, she's had her GDC and Siggraph presentations so butchered that she "was embarrassed to have to deliver them".

So maybe that also fed into her decision to move into a studio where they are much more open about tech and put it front and centre.

Hmm, very interesting!

I was asking her how come 343 (and other MS 1P studios) never do tech interviews and 'making of' features with Digital Foundry (unlike Sony's 1P studios).

She said that MS's 'community managers' won't let them and that MS thinks it best to leave 'external outfacing of information' to the community managers rather than the devs.

She also complained that since working at MS, she's had her GDC and Siggraph presentations so butchered that she "was embarrassed to have to deliver them".

So maybe that also fed into her decision to move into a studio where they are much more open about tech and put it front and centre.
That would mirror what seems to have happened with Bungie. They clearly didn't like it either.

At GDC 2002, Bungie gave a somewhat awesome presentation about Halo 1's AI. At GDC 2003, they basically said their presentation was censored on account of the previous year (it's at 2:30 in that video).

Sure enough, right after getting out of Microsoft, Bungie published a bunch of stuff in 2008.

twittercorrinnemerabe7wdjf.jpg

Hypervisor is not a problem, that is very lightweight and fast. It works on a principle that only application with a valid security key can have access to both reading and writing memory.

However, it was rumored that Xbone games are running from their own virtual machines. There are bound to be some overhead from on-board Win8 OS controlling those VMs.

But, she mentions only heavier layers of graphic API and GPU driver...

What extra layers? I thought both the X1 and the PS4 had a GameOS running on top of a hypervisor.

Think even PS3 had a hypervisor.... but maybe only for the guest OS

Don't care what Corinne is doing at ND, as long as we get Elena in gorgeous 1080p and a nice honeymoon in e.g. Madagascar ;-)

But she explicitly wrote Win8 programming earlier, are you correlating that to being the X1?

Its no secret that Xbox API is a moderately modified version of directx api which also has the addition of low level extensions for direct3d and is still heavy in many application layers if not for the extensions. They didn't re engineer the whole of direct3d from top to bottom for xbox1 or 360 or origninal.

Hypervisor is not a problem, that is very lightweight and fast. It works on a principle that only application with a valid security key can have access to both reading and writing memory.

However, it was rumored that Xbone games are running from their own virtual machines. There are bound to be some overhead from on-board Win8 OS controlling those VMs.

But, she mentions only heavier layers of graphic API and GPU driver...

They are running in VMs... we've known that for some time now.

They had Dave Cutler working on high efficiency virtual drivers for the Game OS.

Back