IMG sign up a portable gaming partner ?

The fate of AMD's handheld graphics IP will be interesting to observe considering both Freescale and Qualcomm still have licenses and NXP recently became an SGX licensee despite their business combination with STM.

What do you mean by this? I believed the SGX license was for set top box, whereas the ST merger only involved the wireless division of NXP.

Question would be what any semiconductor or OEM manufacturer will have to do if it wants a high end chip for those markets. I think but could be wrong that there's only one variant from AMD and it doesn't look like a convincing high end sollution to me.

There are (were?) at least two variants; the single-pipeline Z430 and the quad-pipeline Z460.

Set-top box/HDTV is only the initial target of NXP's multi-use SGX license. I forgot, though, that the NXP-STM combination was only of their wireless businesses; that changes the speculation, then.

I found an "SGX550" on a PowerVR roadmap in an older Khronos presentation Imgtec did. The SGX510 reference shows that it's outdated, though, and the 550 might've been meant as a reference to the old 555 or just 55x in general.

http://eco.kisti.re.kr/file/vod/2007_kats_001_012.ppt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back