Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Normally, for non-edge pixels you don't shade per sample, even with custom resolve (I'd think).

Run an edge detect so you only shade the multi-sampled edges... On console you're going to be working with the entire frame with stored multisamples or you don't. You run the lighting on the entire frame (2560x720 or 1280x720). This isn't PC land with better features in dx10.1+.

In the end, anything is going to be hilariously more costly than just a comparison and reprojection of the previous frame. edit: at worst you'll get the "ghost" effect, but it really depends on the implementation and the type of game where it can be a pretty solid trade-off. e.g. large scale environments where objects in the distance don't change position much, setting a velocity threshold that disables the frame blend for faster objects, applying it for objects in the distance. Also keep in mind that the majority of folks will be playing on SDTVs or LCD TVs vs computer monitors, and certainly not in a screenshot.

What about 4xMSAA? /s :LOL:
Al,how did GG and R* get QAA to work in their games that are fully deferred renderer and deferred lighting renderer if I remember correctly,like Cryegine 3.

Did you said 4xAA on cryengine in the console? :???: If 2xmsaa it's impossible, 4xmsaa is even worsen...

You think KZ2 shaded per each sample? That sound stupidly costly, almost as much as SSAA minus texture sampling.

Normally, for non-edge pixels you don't shade per sample, even with custom resolve (I'd think).

They mentioned it in one of their presentations a while back. The two ways you'd try to selectively shade pixels on more modern PC hardware is with dynamic branching or with a stencil mask, and neither of those work very well on an Nvidia 7-series GPU.

Doesn't work to me.

Motorstorm Apocalypse demo is on the store, I'm really curious about the res in 1080p mode (is it really 1920x1080?) and 720p mode (maybe some additional AA or just supersampling?) :)

the game is full 1280X1440 in 3D right? No AA? what is the chance of 2D version running at something like 1440X1080 or higher?

Looks like 720p with some edge filter (1x1 blur). That transparency buffer is horrendous and in definite need of bilinear...

That's some horrible edge blur and pixelation there, I wonder how much of a difference it makes in motion...its a 60FPS game right?

No polygons spared on the... curves? ;)

You're the modeler, you tell me. :p

At a glance I thought it was sub-720p, but texture detail looked fine plus there were quite a few edges that did look native. So here you can see the edge detect isn't perfect, but I suppose it's cheap.

mysterypart.png

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

That's some horrible edge blur and pixelation there, I wonder how much of a difference it makes in motion...its a 60FPS game right?

Yup, and it's the E3 build apparently. Even as it is, it's a tangible improvement from their previous game, which also used a modified UE3.

Well, we don't do that much cleavage, although our main rigger guy did spend considerable time on the courtesans in AC2. Too bad the camera shakes made most of his work invisible :)

I thought it was interesting to see MK done in Unreal Engine ... It does pretty decently all things considering - it's certainly by far the smoothest MK I've ever played, but then that doesn't say much. ;)

Back