Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

vanquish:
definitely not 2xmsaa, you see alot more gradient on the edges. to me looks supersampled.

infamous 2:
the smoke effects in infamous 2 are really ugly tho, low resolution sprites (the ones that dont change angles depending on camera position) the sorta thing you saw used extensively in N64 games.

oh and i noticed this.. half resolution particle buffer right? [ref: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1268972&postcount=216 ]
image2vp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the smoke effects in infamous 2 are really ugly tho, low resolution sprites (the ones that dont change angles depending on camera position) the sorta thing you saw used extensively in N64 games.
Same case with virtually every game.
And I don't think they are ugly...look fine to me.

Noticed what ?
The only thing that it shows is that the alpha buffer is of a lower resolution.

to me the sprite just looks bad because you see the same asset repeatedly they should go with a more subtle sprite not one that sticks out.

to me the sprite just looks bad because you see the same asset repeatedly they should go with a more subtle sprite not one that sticks out.
I don't understand what do you talking about... :???: the smoke seems good to me, really... and the N64 comparison is imho ridicolous...

infamous 2:

oh and i noticed this.. half resolution particle buffer right? [ref: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1268972&postcount=216 ]
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2851/image2vp.jpg

Well yes it looks really low-res and you can see how it affects the characters polygon edges. Though I dont think the player will face such explosions so close many times for it to be much of a problem considering the average in console gamesregarding effects resolution. It wont stick out badly enough to be a problem. I wouldn't say N64 becouse that is way to rough but more like old heli/flight sim/war games effects if I may. Anyway it is a form of optimisation, that or they would have much worse perfomance or cut out stuff.

You know SSAA amount can vary. Pic is already 1031x579 so it is getting SSAA unless it is Sub-HD game. Highlighted jaggies can be due to low-res post process effect infront of box and that the native frame wasn't of that high res to begin with.

Also :LOL: at that site, spaghettifile!

that was just the edited file by assurdum, his first pic was 1280x720. also ya i did notice those edges but i saw that the majority of the edges had better anti aliasing. that box just seems out of place maybe its moving or some other shenanigans.

also when i mentioned the N64 sprites I wasnt taking away from infamous 2 i was just trying to make it more clear when i mentioned sprites.I think speedtree uses alot of these types of sprites to render some tree leaves and shrubs.

but i do see the reasoning behind it, since sucker punch is aiming for 60hz.

Wouldn't Sandbox on Cry Engine 3 be numbered Sandbox 3 and not 2, like in those screens?

its just the temp filename, its like when you start a new document you get Document1, then Document2... etc

Any info about K&L: DD on PS3? Game tears pretty bad but AA is quite good (MSAAx2?) - it's probably no aa :). FR is solid.

Edit: No SSAO.

Is it AA or just the blurring effect the PC and 360 versions seem to have that is missing on PS3?

It's definitely more jagged looking but sharper in the distance.

Back