Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

The Witcher 3, PS4 version, AA easily seen on the edge door / sky:

witcher3-comp-pc-5.jpg

Tearaway Unfolded

All the previously released screens had a heavy fore- and background DoF so it was hard to judge exactly but this looks like 1080p 4xMSAA?

18087908113_a6638be79a_o.png

Maybe 2xMSAA with maybe extra coverage sampling?

None of the edges exhibit "classical" 4xMSAA, but there is clearly a better result than simple 2xMSAA, especially on shorter edges.

edit9000: Longer edges look like a "modified" 2x.

Last edited:
For the sake of the Internet (sanity)... please no passing off of PC footage or offline graphics during your conferences Sony and Microsoft. PLEASE NO!!!
Ideally games < 6 months from release should be working well enough on console without having to do the PC thing for demonstrations. IMO, Bullshots however are still fair ground since its box marketing material.
My personal opinion, with MS knowing they are already way behind in perception in graphics quality perhaps one can make an argument that people believe it's much weaker than it is made out to be. So might as well showcase the game as it will be released.

Aren't most XB1 first person shooters 1080p (native / dynamic)? I'm pretty sure H5 will be 1080p... native or dynamic should be the more appropriate question.

Most XB1 shooters are sub-1080p [down to 720p for some] or dynamic. Destiny for example is indentical on both nextgen consoles [1080p30], Bungie elected to go for full parity in all aspects.

As for Halo 5, they announced it will be first halo game that will work at 60fps. MP beta that was part of MCC was 720p60.

Forza's usually a tricky one because of how broken the MSAA can get. Would have to cherry pick certain situations (0 kph, multiple environments) to get a gauge of whether the additional post-fx & lighting are nullifying the original MSAA resolve. That said, there definitely looks like something going on with edges, even the thin geometry lines.

I've tried a quick look with the B-roll video directly (& png captures), but it's a mixed bag depending on where you look.

Sometimes it looks 2xMSAA, other times it's more AA'd than usual, a lot of times it's nothing (particularly 3rd person view of your own car). Mostly it's just motion blur and compression.

Back