Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Sounds about right for photo mode.

You do know they used about the same setup for normal gameplay in the first game? So if its what they are using in this trailer, it gives no indication that it will only be used for photomode. I suggest you wait until proper gameplay is presented and analysed by those that are good at it before you decide what the devs can or cannot use and in which mode to use it.

You do know they used about the same setup for normal gameplay in the first game? So if its what they are using in this trailer, it gives no indication that it will only be used for photomode. I suggest you wait until proper gameplay is presented and analysed by those that are good at it before you decide what the devs can or cannot use and in which mode to use it.

Well considering it seems that the image he used was not from the 4 or so seconds of gameplay my comment isn't exactly wrong, it never said it couldn't be the same in gameplay just that we are looking at photo mode right now.

Well, it'd be interesting to see how they handle it. 1920x1080 with 2xMSAA & 4B colour + 4B depth is already ~32MB.

Well considering it seems that the image he used was not from the 4 or so seconds of gameplay my comment isn't exactly wrong, it never said it couldn't be the same in gameplay just that we are looking at photo mode right now.

The segment it's taken from is in-motion, so it could either be the replay mode or the pre-race view (rev-up angles).

-----

It would be curious to see if they have a packed framebuffer ala Blur (Bizarre Creations) that allowed easier way to hit 720p 4xMSAA on 360, but I'm not sure it'd have enough depth precision for this sort of environment.

We should also assume that all actual screen shots of the game while moving will have shitloads of blur applied.

About the Forza "ALL XBOX ONE IN-GAME FOOTAGE"; have we not learned anything from, well, every. single. time. that a Forza trailer/"gameplay footage" claimed this?

We cannot deduce anything from Forza press material, I believe not even photo mode could recreate claimed in-game effects like volumetric fog, dust particles, HDR, and so on.
So I heavily agree with "scently"; wait for realtime, footage, or just treat the images for what they most likely are; PR bullshots

Battlefield Hardline Beta on PS4:

orig9lsfi.jpeg

orig2qgs2m.jpeg

if9u61SqlTYlG.jpg

itiDfudNxQxAk.jpg

------------

Advertised as 1080p, 60FPS. True?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this inaccurate ("broken"?) AA, or an artifact that happened somewhere along the capture pipeline for this image?

xEfQ5fK.png

Indeed, the Forza Horizon 2 "Editorial use only" video apparently uses some "broken" 2xMSAA, maybe complemented by some PPAA depending of the car view used (but not on the hood view obviously):

FH2_hood_view_cropped.png

The AA solution looks very similar to the one used in Forza 5.

In line with what DF said about the initial AW Xbox One trailer

We'll update should more media becoming available, but we'll go with a ballpark 1568x882 for now.

A Kevin Spacey cut-scene towards the end of the video gives us our long vertical edge - used for ascertaining horizontal resolution. Here we find a ratio of 49/60 - giving us a provisional measurement of 1568 rendered pixels contained in the 1920-wide sample. Assuming that the upscale is the same in both x and y directions, this gives us 882 pixels on the vertical - unfortunately even the higher quality trailer doesn't give us enough in the way of long horizontal edges to work with in producing a definitive result, and in an ideal world we'd have more viable shots for analysis on both axis.

Probably downsampled from 1440p.

AC U from XO gameplay video:

Height is 1080, can't tell much from the width.

Is this inaccurate ("broken"?) AA, or an artifact that happened somewhere along the capture pipeline for this image?

Most likely "broken". Also consider the motion blur happening right behind it.

The shades here are curious.
http://i.imgur.com/CSsyIcZ.jpg

Would need more captures to look at (uncompressed) and under certain conditions (not-moving so as to avoid motion blur etc, thin geometry, foliage etc.).

Back