Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Screen capture from the trailer thus low quality, but judging from the jaggies on the wooden plank it looks non native 1080p. Anyone else agree?
What you're looking at is low res from a reduced resolution god rays/volumetric lighting buffer. The opaque geometry is much higher resolution than that. The picture is too blurry to determine 'resolution' of the game.

It feels as if the image was upscaled from something like a nicely antialiased 900p and then they add some noise on top of it.

Well, actually, there's the part where he's shooting at someone on some pier/docks, and the cables there indicate 1080 height (around 1m29s). Anyways, it's just a teaser trailer, so anything can change (e.g. Alan Wake pre-release vs release).

68774643729339228464.jpg

I'm going to guess 1080p? This would be the most obvious as it's on the Forza 5 engine.

I count something like 11/13 steps on the spoiler, but I'm guessing the missing two are just due to my vagueness in ascertaining the first and last steps, etc.

But dont trust me, my counting skills are weak.

I'm going to guess 1080p? This would be the most obvious as it's on the Forza 5 engine.

I count something like 11/13 steps on the spoiler, but I'm guessing the missing two are just due to my vagueness in ascertaining the first and last steps, etc.

30fps it will be then. I doubt they can replicate grand lanscapes with dynamic lighting and shadows at 1080p and 60fps. F5 engine uses prebaked elements to achieve stable 60fps and 1080p.

Unless it's released as a gameplay shot, I wouldn't use any early PR images for gameplay measures. This goes for any game. The increasing popularity of photo modes means we'll be getting more non-gameplay shots than ever (goes particularly for racers that can also have fancier replay rendering).

That said, whatever rendering mode this is, it's clearly 1080p native from the pixel perfect edges. eg. Windscreen.

Assassin's creed Unity

My very tentative analysis from some Assassin's Creed Unity Bullshot taken from NeoGaf:

wmplayer2014-03-2116-rmc1i.png

At first I thought I couldn't guess anything from those very clean images. But then I saw some usual post-AA artefacts very similar to those found in an other Ubisoft game.

Near the center of the image, right next to the lamp post we can easily see some white vertical artefacts on the black vertical mast, probably from a similar post-AA solution found in Watch_Dogs:

wmplayer2014_03_2116_rmc1i_cropped.png

We can roughly count ~10 vertical white lines for approximately the first top half of the cropped picture (the rest being too imprecise).

So for a 10 pixels wide image, presuming both vertical and horizontal resolution are similar, my first guess would be it's a 4K downsampled image. The game maybe uses a morphological post-AA solution natively at 4K, producing a very clean downsampled image indeed.

But it's some heavy guesswork here, take it with a grain of salt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back