Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

So native 720p & some form of AA in the final build (banking on FXAA?) Woah. Not to mention the ViDoc did look like it showed some pretty early development footage. This might be the best looking Halo game yet. I'm starting to really get excited about what they've overhauled with the engine.

I can't wait to see some campaign footage with hopefully a more up-to-date build of the game. Oh, and it's also nice to see they've implemented motion capture (Face Wrinkling? Sweet. :cool:)

Finally a true HD Halo game in the twilight light years of this HD console gen, would love to see more technical specs of the new engine.

Finally a true HD Halo game in the twilight light years of this HD console gen, would love to see more technical specs of the new engine.

Yeah I tweeted Corrine Yu on some info regarding the frame buffer setup and asked Frankie on Gaf when we're going to get more info on the engine. As expected, I never got a reply from either of them. lol Hopefully after the game is out, they'll release some papers on the engine, though by then everyone will have their sights on next gen hardware and tech.

Yeah, it's 1280x720 for sure. (Edges in bottom right and top left of the image are actually better to examine btw :p)
the red circle was to emphasize the low res baked shadow (not by me btw; just found the image on neogaf and thought it was good enough for pixel counting).

ps. thank you, it's good to see -finally- a proper 720p halo game :D

Im really curious about Ghost Recon Future Soldier resolution.
Are these screen caps ok to check it out ? They are made by shinnn from neogaf.
It looks slighty sub 720p on x360 but Im not sure and my pixel counting skills are non existent :p

20120419-113036sauwz.jpeg

20120419-141822t4ezn.jpeg

This is form PS3 and sub 720p is obvious here I think.

20120420-1835494eusr.jpeg

20120420-18490201mxupf.jpeg

They may actually be the same res, just worse scaling blur on PS3 plus lower res textures. The edge detect does seem a tad worse as well, so i don't think it's "stronger edge blur". The lighting seems rather pared back as well (looking at the sandbags and the sky washing out or banding).

edit:

Something around 1024x600 if not that. Hard to tell much from the 360 shots though.

They may actually be the same res, just worse scaling blur on PS3 plus lower res textures. The edge detect does seem a tad worse as well, so i don't think it's "stronger edge blur". The lighting seems rather pared back as well (looking at the sandbags and the sky washing out or banding).

edit:

Something around 1024x600 if not that. Hard to tell much from the 360 shots though.

Thank you very much !

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look really good to be honest, smooth character models, great animations, quite good IQ for that resolution cause the image looks quite crisp, very good lighting and great shadowing too, no fuzzy edges or jitters. But for some reason so many people over at Gaf think the game looks average/shit or equal to GRAW 1/2, which I don't agree with at all.

I agree with everything you posted,and yes there is a lot of negativity aimed at this game's graphics on neogaf which I don't understand.Maybe problem lays on the art side,not enough colour or something :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Even on the 360, the lines aren't clean. After loading up the beta, I instantly questioned why some people (not here at b3d but elsewhere) thought this was only sub-HD on the ps3 since the 360 version did not look native IMO.

I don't know what the native resolution of this game was 2 years ago when they demoed it at E3, but it has gotten progressively worse looking since then IMO.

kinda always looked subHD whenever they demoed it.

honestly the first thought that came to my head when they first revealed it at the ubisoft conference 2 years ago was hey this iq sorta looks like splinter cell conviction.

turns out splinter cell conviction was 1024X576 (2xAA), so its possible this could be as well but with a post filter.

Even on the 360, the lines aren't clean. After loading up the beta, I instantly questioned why some people (not here at b3d but elsewhere) thought this was only sub-HD on the ps3 since the 360 version did not look native IMO.

I don't know what the native resolution of this game was 2 years ago when they demoed it at E3, but it has gotten progressively worse looking since then IMO.

It even was suppose to be a 60 fps game.
So i do wonder what went wrong.

Back