I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry...

cthellis42

Hoopy Frood
Legend
But honestly Nintendo, can you prevent Mario from leaking into EVERYTHING?!

Oy... First bring the regular, then bring the shtick, why don't we? I've been wondering when they'd get their own version, but c'mon... Can ANY marginally recognizable game avoid getting "touched" like this? :p

Well they are certainly spreading him around. IMO too much, if every game needs mario in it to sell, then I think there's quite a problem.

eh whats it matter ? as long as it sells they will continue to do that , if people didn't like thse games with mario in it they would stop selling it .

I love Mario... and Link... and Samus... and even Fox ;) Heck, even Marios friends (Luigi, Yoshi, Princess, Toad, Donkey and Diddy Kong, Pikachu) are pretty cool hehehe

Nintendo has more franchises, successful popular franchises, than you can almost count. Nintendo sharing its franchises has been a good thing. Look at Retro/Metroid, Sega/F-Zero, Namco/Link-SCII. There is no denying that, at least on the Nintendo platform, the Nintendo franchises sell well--so why not use them? Obviously GCN owners want more Nintendo stuff, so DDR+Mario is a no brainer in my book... though I wont even touch a game like that!! :)

Not another "Mario is in something" thread. People would probably barely notice if others would stop making threads about it :)

Sure there are many titles with Mario in it, but only few are first party titles directly from Nintendo itself.

Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are first parties. (Super Smash Bros Melee isn't really a Mario game, but if you would count it, HAL Labs is a first party developer).

Mario Tennis was made by Camelot, Mario Golf as well, Mario Baseball is being made by Namco, Mario in NBA Street V3 is being done by EA, all Mario Parties have been made by Hudson, Konami is doing DDR,...

But still...

DO THE MARIO!

swing your arms from side to side! :LOL:

Teasy said:
Not another "Mario is in something" thread. People would probably barely notice if others would stop making threads about it :)
Yeah, I'm sure it's getting phased out about now. ;)

Teasy said:

Well, people would barely notice Nintendo games are still being released, if people didn't bitch about them so i guess that fits the bill somehow... :devilish:

/runs

Well, people would barely notice Nintendo games are still being released, if people didn't bitch about them so i guess that fits the bill somehow..

As far as DDR goes that's probably true, but then its not a Nintendo game so.. :)

Which is exactly why I'd like to see more games feel they can bring THEMSELVES to the Cube, as opposed to a "Nintendo-i-fied" version of themselves. It makes it feel more like "hey, a console that gets games!" than "hey a console that revolves around its mascots!"

Konami could quite easily have brought DDR to Nintendo consoles for ages--N64 or Cube--(and would have been especially good back when DDR was in its heydey in Japan and they had a lot more units of the N64 to tap) but seemingly had no interest. And even after recently releasing two versions for the Xbox in about a year's time (and one for PC the year before), it seems like it takes Nintendo's active interest to co-develop it (on N's part at this point, presumably because Donkey Konga and other music-related games they wish to bring out will be strengthened by having a DDR under their roof as well) and immediately tie it in with their mascot.

Look. There've been plenty of complains about Nintendo's 3rd party support from generation to generation--both valid and invalid--but no matter how much many of us like Nintendo we can certainly see flaws. We'll argue just how far their "image reinforcement" is an actual problem (and complain when people label Nintendo only one thing, even when it delivers some 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-party games that stand up to all other competitors both in adult themes and overall quality) but in THIS situation you pretty much have to admit that it's unattractive. Konami opens up a broadly-used license to Xbox first, doesn't really pursue GameCube at the same time (though they'd be able to easily make 3-system ports of DDR, I have no doubt) and it takes Nintendo's actively taking a hand and of course having to link Mario to it to bring it about...?

Certainly the Cube is a ripe platform to make a self-themed game about (and Konami has played with with other rather sillified concepts before with it, such as their Disney Mix), but I'd much rather they brought the game DDR-players want over first--with the the classic songs they share, and the music and background styles they enjoy--and then bring out the ones to play around in Nintendo's worldscape. If the first foray into what should really be an easy licensed game to grab requires extra effort on their part and immediately "goes Mario"... what image do you think that reinforces?

Nintendo is a big company. They should be able to bring appealing games in regardless, ALSO have fun with them and help them get designed around their systems, and ALSO concentrate on building "bigger and badder and different" to ride on for years to come as well. (Even Disney doesn't ride so heavily on the same characters, though admittedly of late it hasn't been they building the popular new personalities but Pixar...)

If this is in any way emblematic of Nintendo's current "whatever" (insert your own word here, whether you believe it to be "problem" or just "relationship") with 3rd party developers, I don't think it's something that should be shrugged off lackadaisically with a "you people bitch too much" and "there's nothing wrong with it in any way, shape, or form."

I like Nintendo that's why seeing things like this irk me. And why I think a growing prevalence would be a bad thing(TM).

cthellis42 said:
Konami could quite easily have brought DDR to Nintendo consoles for ages--N64 or Cube--(and would have been especially good back when DDR was in its heydey in Japan and they had a lot more units of the N64 to tap) but seemingly had no interest. And even after recently releasing two versions for the Xbox in about a year's time (and one for PC the year before), it seems like it takes Nintendo's active interest to co-develop it (on N's part at this point, presumably because Donkey Konga and other music-related games they wish to bring out will be strengthened by having a DDR under their roof as well) and immediately tie it in with their mascot.

I'm rather curious about this DDR game myself. So far only a couple of paragraphs worth of information have been released, but in them it says something of minigames (one picture shows Mario chased down a mountain by snowballs). I think it would be awesome if the Nintendo DDR had some sort of Donkey Konga type mini-games going for it, god knows Konami hasn't bothered to branch out in any substantial way over the years. Also by getting DDR out the door on gamecube with this game, Konami can go back and release its other games... if they so desired, and dear lord, looking at the 3 pictures so far released, you can thank Nintendo for increasing the graphics engine prowess of the DDR games by an order of magnitude. Also, having released this, Nintendo can come out with other full games supporting it like they did with Jungle Beat for the Konga. I don't really see this as a bad thing... though I worry about the musical selections a bit.

That's the reason why it would have been a cakewalk to bring over at any other point before. DDR has always been about the concept and the music, and graphics aren't ever an issue with it. (They make funky videos and play with the styles, but it's just supposed to be amusement to go with the primary focus--the music and the moment.)

Certainly Konami has played around with graphical enhancements as well of late between the systems (but more CG and effects rather than wanting to build a 3D environment) and given each their own system-enhancements (like EyeToy support for PS2 and 4-player modes and Live support for the Xbox--but those are system capabilities, not style adjustments) and I'd expect them to toss a bone to Nintendo as well even if it was only Konami doing the development, but the game is coming out "with Mario" in the damn title, and seems likely to be a majorly Nintendo-themed game. (Though Donkey Konga doesn't have a majority of Nintendo songs itself, so I assume DDR will at least have some of the classic songs and styles.

But the point is I want to see 3rd parties want to bring their games to the Cube first--coaxed or uncoaxed--and throw a bone to their unique capabilities (like the GBA link) and then feel free to play around more with Nintendo's licenses (since it will throw more appeal to the Cube's playerbase and they'd need Nintendo's permission--and input--at that point).

I just grow uneasy to see even simple and univerally-popular concepts "filtered" in such a way to get it onto the Cube at all.

Back