The more I think of it, the more Rev excites me...

I think that games are also getting too complicated, but I dont mind about if a game is complicated, but if all games are complicated that is a very bad thing.

Anyway as I stated many times before I think that specs alone will not give much more inovation anymore but new interfaces will do, and inovation is a best(only?) way too keep gaming alive, that means I am very excited with REV and I even think that they could/should put a few more things (voice control/micro in every console, two controlers for even more kind of games, and a few more buttons/joystick, and whatever they want), that said I really welcome Nintendo on this.

Nintendo went the way they did for a simple reason: they can´t compete in the same market, so trying to find a new niche where they can produce nice, small and cheap games can turn into huge benefits, where they are the only fish in the pond.

Nintendo obviously have the financial muscle and franchises to battle it out with Sony and MS if they wanted to. If they shared the same goals as those companies then no doubt they would do so. But Nintendo aren't interested in fighting a "war for the control of the living room" or whatever hackneyed line Sony and MS throw out as they're ultimate goal in this market. They're interested in making games and making money from gaming. Having said that the idea that Revolution will be so different is will be in a different market to 360 and PS3 is nonesense. Revolution will no doubt have plenty of standard games, a lot of them the same games available on 360 and PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm mostly an RPG gamer who also enjoys sports games

If your a big sports game fan then your mind should be boggling right now at the possibilities of Revolutions controller :) Boxing, Baseball, Cricket, Golf, Snooker, Racing, there's some amazing potential for the new controller in sports games.

Teasy said:
If your a big sports game fan then your mind should be boggling right now at the possibilities of Revolutions controller :smile: Boxing, Baseball, Cricket, Golf, Snooker, Racing, there's some amazing potential for the new controller in sports games.
I'm not sure I agree with this idea. As many possibilities as Rev's controller has, an ideal sports game interface it might very well not be. For football, soccer, hockey, rugby, and basketball, the usual staples of sports fans, it's natural capacities are probably poorly suited. For games like baseball and tennis, it's limiting the player to the player's abilities. I can't hit a baseball for toffee, so a baseball controller would leave me incapable of playing. That said, I guess computer aids could be put in place where perhaps only swing speed matters, rather then accuracy. But then there's no challenge, and so I don't know where the entertainment factor would come in. The challenge is hitting at the right time to send the ball where you want. If that's all automatic all you're really doing is swinging your arms back and forth.

For snooker and pool...no, just no! You can't simulate a cue accurately with a small handheld device. I doubt any computer game will be a fair approximation of a real table. I guess you could mark where you want to hit the ball, and then use arm motion for power. Perhaps I'm thinking too much of literal game simulations rather then games based on sports using the apparatus of play to best advantage? For golf it could be very good.

Still, I think most big-name sporting games won't benefit, or worse will be at a disadvantage, on the Rev's controller versus a DualShock-esque controller, unless it's expanded with optional extras maybe. But another concern is multiplayer. How much are these controllers going to cost if you want to play with friends?

The new controller isn't suited to all sports games no, but it has great potential for the ones I mentioned.

For games like baseball and tennis, it's limiting the player to the player's abilities. I can't hit a baseball for toffee, so a baseball controller would leave me incapable of playing.

But then if your not limited by your abilities in baseball games on a standard controller then how is that any fun? Because its not just a case of everything having to either be a total simulation or totally automatic. No more in games using Revs controller then it is with current controllers. The game would have difficulty settings with differing levels of assistance, just like they do this gen. In simulation mode the game would act almost as if your really playing Tennis (something that's impossible with current controllers), so in that mode you'd really need to be good at Tennis. However in novice mode the rules would be a lot more like current games, just with a more natural control method. The game would limit your swing to standard paterns and your swing would just control power and direction (like a button and stick do now). The game would assist in making the ball go over the net and help to keep it in the court unless far too much power was used. Medium settings would be somewhere in between. For different kinds of shots (lob, slice ect) in novice mode you would hold different buttons to change the way you hit the ball. Obviously in simulation mode your hand movement would decide what kind of shot your taking.

That said, I guess computer aids could be put in place where perhaps only swing speed matters, rather then accuracy. But then there's no challenge, and so I don't know where the entertainment factor would come in. The challenge is hitting at the right time to send the ball where you want. If that's all automatic all you're really doing is swinging your arms back and forth.

Same as above, but just to be a bit more specific on this particular sport this is how I see it. The bat would stay within the normal path on anything other then simulation mode (you know the deal, over the shoulder and swinging round accross the leg). On novice you only need to come close-ish to the ball to hit it, in medium you need to get very close, in hard you need to actually make perfect contact just like real Baseball (in hard you also have absolute control of where to move the bat). They do this already in current Baseball games on standard controllers. Its just a case of changing the control of how to swing from an unatural stick and button to a natural swing of the arms.

For snooker and pool...no, just no! You can't simulate a cue accurately with a small handheld device. I doubt any computer game will be a fair approximation of a real table.

Of course it won't be an perfect real life recreation of Pool/Snooker, but its hardly fair to hold a game up to those standards is it? No current Snooker or Pool game is anywhere near reality afterall, nor can it be using such limited controller, but it can still be fun to play. The important thing is that a controller like Revolutions will improve Snooker/Pool video games, making them much closer to the real thing (at the same time making them more fun to play). They could even include a cue attachment for the controller :D This is how I see the game working. Novice/Medium mode - The virtual cue, on the screen, moves between balls by clicking a button. Once your aimed at the ball you want to hit you use the movement of the controller to move the cue within the boundries of the ball (it only moves the stick around within those boundries and uses a red dot to show you where your going to hit). If you want you could even rest the controller on your fingers. You then pull the controller back and push forward for differing degree's of power. There could also be physics assistance in Novice mode to make it easier to pot (just like with current Snooker games) and in this mode the vertical/horizontal sensetivity of the controller would also be dropped when taking a shot (to minimize the possibility of mis-cue's). In Simulation you would get very little assistance and could maybe even have full control of the cue (allowing possible misses of the ball).

Honestly, I just can't see the Rev's controller enhancing my basketball or football sports games :) Ditto for fighting games (which aren't sports games but I enjoy them anyway). Looking at the controller purely from my perspective based on the type of games I enjoy, the controller will not be what convinces me to buy the Rev.

Your probably right there (though the controller should be good for traditional RPG's). I do have some idea's for American Football and Basketball, but I'm less certain about how well they would work.. For American Football you could use the Rev controller to throw a pass. Hold the controller as if you have the ball in your hands. Swing your arms to throw (hold onto the controller obviously :)) and press the trigger when you want to let go. Basketball you could also use it to shoot. How well the rest of the game would work with that setup is another question. Though if you used the Wavebird controller addon you could still have the abilities of the new controller (for passing, shooting ect) and still have the stick and buttons for normal play at the same time. It might work, it might not :) I suppose we'll see what developers come up with.

Incidentally I can't see any direct gameplay advantages using the new controller for my favourite sport, Football. I can only think of on the fly tactics and formation changes and possibly using it to order players around (as if your the team captain).

I wonder when the first complaints about people accidentally letting go will be heard?

I smashed my TV, I smashed my controller, etc. Will be interesting. They will need a new sticker, VR = teh danger.

Ty said:
I wonder when the first complaints about people accidentally letting go will be heard?
Or when will the first lawsuits be filed because some stupid brat hit his little sister in the face with the remote by accident while playing? Or maybe not so by accident...

Anyway, I think the main point of the new Revolution controller is that for the first time in I don't know how long, it brings small promises of something totally NEW for the old veteran gamers. I've been playing computer games in one form or another for more or less twenty years now (some forum members here haven't even LIVED that long! ;)), and believe me when I say it, that GTA and whatever isn't nearly as inventive and revolutionary as some people might think.

I may be chasing a pipe-dream here, perhaps reality won't live up to my expectations. I can accept that. But I do like to dream every once in a while! :)

So what CPU Rev is going to have? I saw a table in newspaper few days back, it listed Rev as having 2 G5's @ 1.6 (or was it 1.8) GHz.

Deepak said:
So what CPU Rev is going to have? I saw a table in newspaper few days back, it listed Rev as having 2 G5's @ 1.6 (or was it 1.8) GHz.

Hardware specs are unknown at this time.

Iwata said that games could be devd on NGC devkits until Revs devkits become available, and that switching from the former to the later would be painless, so a similar architecture is expected.

I used to strongly hate the design for the revolution controller.

but after a while, it starts to grow on u...

I like it a lot now...

I remember watching that trailer for "potential uses for the controller"

and the only thing I refuse to play on that controller is a baseball game.

Too much swinging for my taste...

hopefully there is an option to play it more traditionally :)

There will always be games that are better suited to certain control methods than others. I think the Rev controller ought to be fun and work really well for some games, but it will not work well at all in some games as well.

So, will there be different controllers for childs and adults? Small and lightweight for childs and normal for adults? ;)

The controller seems very much to be one-size-fits-all.

You have to consider the control scheme is NOT based upon being able to reach 6-7 (or even more) buttons at once with just one hand like the current consoles.

One thing I'd like to see change on the Rev hardware itself would be to move the GC controller ports from the right side of the console to the left (bottom, when vertical) side, and then provide plugs in the vertical stand that connects into them, and then plugs in the stand itself for the actual peripherals.

This way, the Rev unit would sit more securely in the stand, it would look better when using GC peripherals attached (no silly plastic lid that has to be flipped open), and it would not become top-heavy either when four corded joypads are plugged into it.

Man... I luuurve how you guys think of me as a console chip! It reminds of a dream I had the other night... creepy...

Back