I'm buying a PSP tomorrow, any advice?

digitalwanderer said:
We got lucky and got a healthy boy and girl, now we're done and just gotta stay focused on trying to raise them proper.
See, but that's the best part! I'm already past all those pesky early years! I'm just, you know, emotionally immature. ;)

I'd probably eat a bit more than they would, though. But you can cut the difference out of my monthly game allotment.

digitalwanderer said:
Lemme know how that ATV game is, I almost picked it up as my son loves the genre.

I like it pretty well. Its not as "fun" as RR to me, but its still fun. A lot of the focus is on tricks, not just racing. Just as in most racers, the rider, and wheeler have different traits, ie, speed/cornering/etc.

There are a lot of play options, from enduro, to tricks, and most anything between. Graphically its not as good as RR either, but its not far behind. Id give it a 7/10 I guess, where as I would give RR a 9/10.

edit, I should add the soundtrack for it rocks. Real songs, and good ones too. :)

DaveBaumann said:
Well, after scouring the streets of Downtown LA for a PSP with no luck it to a wrong turn on the way back to my hotel from a driver for me to find a Gamestop that had them. I now have Ridge Racer and Wipeout - what else is good?

Gee you shoulda let me know, I know the area a LOT better and I coulda chauffered you around like I did with Faf all week. :)

<hint> the file system on those sticks is fat12. </hint>

Incorrect... Memory stick has the FAT12 addressing limitation (hence the 128MB limitation). MS Pro relies on FAT32. 29MB loss on the 256MB card is just from the formatting overhead... That occurs with all flash devices (and HDDs for that matter)...

Anyways, I just picked up Mercury last night and it's looking pretty interesting (for those of you who like puzzle games)...

archie4oz said:
Incorrect... Memory stick has the FAT12 addressing limitation (hence the 128MB limitation). MS Pro relies on FAT32. 29MB loss on the 256MB card is just from the formatting overhead... That occurs with all flash devices (and HDDs for that matter)...

right. i got misled by the measly ms that comes with the value pack and which uses fat12. since clusters of 8KB would be non-standard for the fat12, i automatically assumed that they would use even bigger clusters to cover greater volumes, but apparently i failed to realize that the limit of those would be 128MB with a max cluster of 32KB. my bad.

Man, that memory stick that comes with it gots a whole lot of room for nothing! I can't wait for the bigger one to arrive. (Probably tomorrow)

Yep, 32MB ain't practical for anything but game saves.

I'm liking my 512MB, but am impatient for my 1GB to arrive. I want to put a lot of photos, music videos, and yes, even a full-length movie or two on there, and sadly, the 512 is still too constricting.

Kolgar said:
I want to put a lot of photos, music videos, and yes, even a full-length movie or two on there, and sadly, the 512 is still too constricting.
You can fit one movie on a 512 though, right? I've been playing with some converters and didn't have much problems with that. :?

I'm hoping the 512 will hold about 2 hours of tv rips and such.

digitalwanderer said:
My son wants Twisted Metal and Ape Escape next, that just seems a bit odd to me. :?
What's odd? The fact that your son want, already, others games (That's normal) or the fact that thoses games, namely TM and Ape Escape seems odd to you?

Both TM and Ape Escape are great, BTW.
I didn't play AE PSP, though, but seeing that it's a port of one of my favorite PSone game, it should be alright.

Without reading the thread through.. I'll just throw it out there that all of the games I have are great..

Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and Hot Shots Golf.. all exceptional titles.

Vysez said:
digitalwanderer said:
My son wants Twisted Metal and Ape Escape next, that just seems a bit odd to me. :?
What's odd? The fact that your son want, already, others games (That's normal) or the fact that thoses games, namely TM and Ape Escape seems odd to you?
The latter, the kiddy game and ultra-violent teen game together that weirded me out a tad.

I can get the "want more games"....hell, I want more games for it! ;)

He got a $25 gift card from my sister this afternoon for Target, I'll probably let him use it and pay the difference for one more game. :)

Goddam, but do I wish it could play Flash files! I hope someone manages to whip up some kind of player for it, as it would be pretty sweet to carry all your silly internet videos around with you. ;) Much more entertainment-per-megabyte! Hehe.

Back