I'm buying a PSP tomorrow, any advice?

DaveBaumann said:
Well, after scouring the streets of Downtown LA for a PSP with no luck it to a wrong turn on the way back to my hotel from a driver for me to find a Gamestop that had them. I now have Ridge Racer and Wipeout - what else is good?
COPYCAT!!! :oops:

Damn, you're in the US? How long will you be on this side of the pond? I quick flight out to LA just to freak you out might be fun.... :devilish:

rabidrabbit said:
Lumines is great, but I'm not that sure it would appeal to an 8 year old kid. It's basicaklly a very simple tetris style block puzzle game, but the little I got to play it yesterday (about 4 hours) it might be too difficult. But I did get better and better at it the more I played, although first I had difficulties finishing the first "skin".
At it's basic it can be a tad too repetitive, but it really is the music + visual style that is a very big part of it's appeal nad as you get better in it you do get more "at one" with the game, and that feels great.. another of those "zone" games.
If your kid is not into that kind of things and puzzle games there might be better alternatives.

Ridge Racer is very good too, and maybe more into your kids tastes. It has a very gentle learning curve, so as while the later stages are very very hard, there's a plenty to play through and fun to be had even if you're not a Ridge veteran.

Haven't really tried any other games, but that Legend (don't remember the whole name, but that PS2 Baldur's Gate type game) sounds like a game kids would like, not too demanding but a fun hack and slash game. A game that should be easy to pick up and play.

A 512 MB card should be good enough to hold three or four half hour tv episodes.
I have the British "Coupling" series that were originally about 700MB/episode avi, and encoded them with PSPVideo9 to about 120-150MB's each.

I could only fit one of them at a time to my 256MB card. The PSP allows you to use only 227MB, and if I tried to put two episodes on it it would've always exceeded the 227MB (nowm 226MB with a couple of game saves) limit by a couple of megabytes.
I didn't use the maximum quality PSPVideo9 setting, but some less. With max they would have been about 230-250MB.

With a fully charged battery I was able to watch 6 to 7 hours of video from Memory Stick.
RabidRabbit I thank you from the bottom of my heart and most sincerly. This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get and you've really relieved me that I'm doing the right thing and it'll do what I want it to do.

The whole "PSP allows you to use only 227Mb" thing has me a tad worried I did some overkill on the memory card, but it's all good and I'm pretty sure I'll figure out what exactly you're talking about when I get it. ("Perhaps, perhaps.....perhaps." I love Coupling. ;) )

Ok, Ridge Racer covers the racing genre...they got any fighting games similar to Tekken3 or SoulCalibur2 or anything out for it yet?

Oh and on that memory stick thingy:

Digitalwanderer slutting it up at EB said:
Yup, I ordered myself a "Sony 512MB Memory Stick Pro DUO w/ MagicGate Technology" last night from MEMORY SUPPLIERS and they said if I put a link on my website for MEMORY SUPPLIERS they'd give me $5 off.

So I had to post up, sorry for the obvious ad-like and greedy self-interested nature of this post....but I'm a cheap bastard and I was glad to find what I was looking for at a good price and having it shipped out of Chicago for me on the same day. 8)

That's MEMORY SUPPLIERS , in case ya missed it. ;)
I got paid $5us to post that at Elite Bastards, and I am now a professional poster. 8)

;)

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

digitalwanderer said:
Ok, Ridge Racer covers the racing genre...they got any fighting games similar to Tekken3 or SoulCalibur2 or anything out for it yet?

darkstalker chronicles. i personally don't have it but i'm considering getting it, as it's got some good reviews plus is the only psp fighter for the time being.

btw, regarding memory sticks - if you intend to watch videos the pro is highly desirable - the non-pro ms has rather measly bandwidth.

you may also want to get the 'magic gate' flavor as that would allow you to liste to atrac files (and possibly other drm content in the future, for that matter), and it does not come at much of a cost either (if any).

Darkstalker Chronicles, got it. :)

BTW-I got a "Sony 512MB Memory Stick Pro DUO w/ MagicGate Technology"...so I think I'm safe and actually got the good one, right? :)

digitalwanderer said:
BTW-I got a "Sony 512MB Memory Stick Pro DUO w/ MagicGate Technology"...so I think I'm safe and actually got the good one, right? :)

absolutely. although my guess is that you could have possibly found a sandisk or (less likely) a lexar of similar size at a slightly better price if you searched for it, but specs-wise you're right on spot.

re dynasty warriors - i haven't seen it so it could just as well be a better fighter than darkstalker, though keep in mind the latter comes from capcom and they know their stuff (i.e. 2d fighters).

I would call dynasty warriors a fighter more like a button mashing hack and slash game of mass murder. :LOL:

digitalwanderer said:
The whole "PSP allows you to use only 227Mb" thing has me a tad worried I did some overkill on the memory card, but it's all good and I'm pretty sure I'll figure out what exactly you're talking about when I get it. ("Perhaps, perhaps.....perhaps." I love Coupling. ;) )
No no no!, I meant that my 256MB card shows on PSP as only 227 MB available. 512 and beyond (I think even 4 Gig cards) CAN be used in PSP near to their full capacity.

I don't know how much of the 512MB card will be reserved by PSP for whatever it needs, but in my 256MB it reserves that 29MB for something.
Almost 30MB space you cannot use is a bit much imo.

Yea, Coupling's very funny. But the 5th season wasn't at all good any more. I got the impetus to watch it from earlier discussions in general forum (I think it was mostly you and l-b :) ).
I missed most of the season 1-4 episodes when it aired here, and the PSP was a great way ro catch up on them. It really is quite good for watching sitcoms, anime etc.. that kind of material that doesn't necessarily need a big screen for epic special effects.

rabidrabbit said:
I don't know how much of the 512MB card will be reserved by PSP for whatever it needs, but in my 256MB it reserves that 29MB for something. Almost 30MB space you cannot use is a bit much imo.

<hint> the file system on those sticks is fat12. </hint>

Ah, ok that explains.
How much space is wasted on 512MB and 1Gig sticks? The same ~30MB or more? (don't tell me it's 60 and 120MB!!!???!?)

Edit: I just updated the Nero 6 Reloaded burning software to latest patches as I read the Nero Recode 2 has now support for converting directly to PSP and Memorysticks.
I'm encoding the Sony E3 conference as I type, and that software seems to be very good for that. You can even tell the size of the final file you want to be, and it makes it that. No more quessing if the file will be too big when the encoding is finished.
I recommend to at least try the Nero 6 for converting.
Here's the link that shows how to do it:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/encode_files_for_psp_nero_recode.cfm

Well I gone and done it. $406.99 will get you a PSP basic, Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors, one of them lil translucent screen protectors, and guarantees on all along with "Kirby's Magic Something or Other" for me daughter. :?

It comes with a whopping 32Mb stick, whee!

My son is in love with it, my wife decided to give it to him early. :)

your kid must be lucky !

i wish i received something that expensiv from my parents back in the days :?

i have darkstalkers at home and like it a lot! nice fast action in the style of streetfighter

Whatever you do, NEVER, I said NEVER, do buy Tiger Woods PGA Tour.
First thing first, Hot Shots Golf is a lot better gameplay wise, but the deal breaker with PGA is the loadings...
It's like a bad joke from the EA guys. As if they manualy packed the files to make the load times actually longer.

^^

What he said. I got Tiger, and just sold it last week. Got Hot Shots, and its a lot better. And the loading times really are measured by a sun dial. Its that bad.

Just got ATV Blazing Trails tonight. Havent loaded it up yet. Won a gift card at work for Target.. had to use it for something..

Lemme know how that ATV game is, I almost picked it up as my son loves the genre.

He liked Ridge Racer, he absolutely LOVED Dynasty Warriors. I just put him to bed after letting him stay up later than usual and he played DW for the last 5 hours straight and is absolutely nuts about it! :LOL:

Thanks for all the advice, it really helped out. Any games I can download onto the memory card? (I mean simple ones, I'm not asking for warez or nothing)

hey69 said:
i wish i received something that expensiv from my parents back in the days :?
We really didn't get it for him because it was expensive, we got it for him because we really thought he'd love it. I was/am still a bit concerned about giving an 8 year old such an expensive bit-o-kit, but I'm working to make him aware of his responsibility to it and I think it's actually getting thru this time since the PSP has got him so bonkers impressed.

My son loves gaming, and as long as he doesn't just love gaming I got no problem with that at all and actually enjoy that we have something in common that we share like that....it's cool to have a gamer's bond with my son and we do, he gets it. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
We really didn't get it for him because it was expensive, we got it for him because we really thought he'd love it.
...any chance you want to adopt me? I'll tell you all the things I'd love! ;)

cthellis42 said:
...any chance you want to adopt me?
Sorry, we only adopt puppies and kitties. We never planned on the children and to be honest didn't want any before they came, but I can't picture life without them now.

We got lucky and got a healthy boy and girl, now we're done and just gotta stay focused on trying to raise them proper.

Back