IGN: Too Human Interivew (New) 03-09-06

Platon said:
Depending n how the handle the camera that can make or break the game. When ever I hear that there is no camera control I get very sceptical. I really, really, REALLY hope they will not have any similar camera like MGS2, but them working before with Kojima, I have my fears. It would be really pitty on such a potentially great game...

They did a fine job with the camera in Eternal Darkness. I wouldn't be worried. MGS:TT reused the Metal Gear Solid camera because they took so few liberties with the remake.

NucNavST3 said:
I know this sounds crazy, but I don't actually care about who "wins" E3. I just want to see the games. If its before E3 I'm happy, if its after, I'm happy, if its on Marketplace, then I am ecstatic.
Yeah this "winning E3" is just stupid talk that keeps forumers occupied for a few days and then is forgotten.The fights about it are great though!!

Oh and why would MS keep "Too Human" secret??They have announced it for ages and have shown an ,albeit very small,trailer since X05.

The good thing is that the games coming on the 360 at the end of 2006 will be much better looking than what is available right now.

yum

toohuman2zj.jpg

fulcizombie said:
Yeah this "winning E3" is just stupid talk that keeps forumers occupied for a few days and then is forgotten.The fights about it are great though!!

Oh and why would MS keep "Too Human" secret??They have announced it for ages and have shown an ,albeit very small,trailer since X05.

The good thing is that the games coming on the 360 at the end of 2006 will be much better looking than what is available right now.

I agree with both of you but at the end of the day, if youre going to 'do E3', spend millions on a booth, advertising, parties, etc. you may as well try and 'win', fwiw.

I think in the mind of consumers, 'winning e3' doesnt mean anything. However, it could affect media perception or developer perception, which *could* indirectly impact consumers...

fulcizombie said:
Well I wouldnt say a "few days and forgotten", more like "a few months, and remembered", I think "winning E3" is a good pr boost for whatever company. I mean its safe to say Sony had the most dominant show at e3, and was talked about for months even without Sony releasing any information. Kinda a dead silence from Sony after e3 for a long period, but they were still the most remembered and some say the the most hyped. Imagine that.

But i see what you guys mean, from a gamers standpoint, "winning e3" does'nt mean much, but from a companies perspective it could have a positive effect on things. But I dont see why it's a bad thing from a gamers standpoint, I mean if all 3 companies compete to give the best show possible, the gamers win, right?

Here's a little excerpt on the fighting system and boss battles that I transcribed from the hi-res scans:

"The button-free melee combat feels easy & instinctive, yet it;s actually a tad disorienting at first. By simply tapping the stick in the direction of nearby enemies, you'll send Baldur rapidly careening around the screen dishing out devestating attacks and combos. When flicked in tandem with directions on the left stick, the right analog digs even deeper into Baldur's arsenel, filling the screen with effects-laden supermoves. Once you acclimate to the frenzied pace and flui fighting, it's a highly rewarding, visceral combat experience, more akin to a fighting game than a traditional adventire title. "THe motion-capture guys we're working with have worked on films like Hero and Chronicles of Riddick," explains Dyack. "We feel that some of the stuff we're doing surpasses even the fighting in Soul Caliber"

Plus, the interplay of firearms and traditional weapons-based fighting allows for the over-the-top, knock-em-up-and-shott-em-down maneuvres a la Devil May Cry. Boredom is the ultimate enemy in games like this, so customizable combos and a wide variety of weapon types (swords, hammers, polearms, pistols, rifles, lasers and more) will hopefully ensure plenty of variety. "From my standpoint the big failure of God of War was that I found one combo that worked and I just did it over and over" explains Sterchi. "In Too Human, you have to constantly be thinking about your enemies in order to succeed" Don't worry about Too Human mimicking God of War's too-few boss battles either. "We have tons, and they're more Metroid or Zelda-style bosses than in GOd of War"

And some camera details:

Of course, Too Human's innovative, stripped-down control system would be fucntionally impossible without it's equally inventive camera system. Like Sony's breakthrough action hit God of War, Too Human purposefully takes all camera control away from the player. "I've never heard anyone say, 'Moving the camera was really fun,'" Sterchi muses. "So we've mae it very dynamic: If you're using pistols, teh camera automatically zooms out give you a clear view of your targets, but if you use the sword, it zooms in to show off the action, more like a fighting game." The camera seems full of surprises - we witnessed some really clever zooms, pans and cuts that gave the game a unique look.

"THe camera is equivalent to what you see during the Super Bowl broadcast." Dyack explains. "You might have 50 cameras around at all times, and you never know where that touchdown is going to occur, so you're constantly switching to the best camera to view the action"

Online campaign co-op confirmed! 3 player! a la Phantasy Star Online

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not mean to pee on the parade, but every time I have been excited by a SK game in the past it has been a let-down. ED and MGS:TTS were not that great to me. SK have a lot to prove, and trying to make an even more ambitious game is not the best way of going about it as far as I'm concerned.

predicate said:
I do not mean to pee on the parade, but every time I have been excited by a SK game in the past it has been a let-down. ED and MGS:TTS were not that great to me. SK have a lot to prove, and trying to make an even more ambitious game is not the best way of going about it as far as I'm concerned.

MGS: TTS suffered because of the original material it was drawing on. Sorry, fans, I know MGS was a great game for its day, but it felt dated and clunky on the Gamecube, even with better textures and more polygons (never played the PSx version, so I think I can be more objective). ED had excellent control and an excellent camera, so I have no doubt that Too Human will sport the same. I doubt it will be the artistic revolution Dyack thinks it will be, though.

fearsomepirate said:
MGS: TTS suffered because of the original material it was drawing on. Sorry, fans, I know MGS was a great game for its day, but it felt dated and clunky on the Gamecube, even with better textures and more polygons (never played the PSx version, so I think I can be more objective). ED had excellent control and an excellent camera, so I have no doubt that Too Human will sport the same. I doubt it will be the artistic revolution Dyack thinks it will be, though.
TTS's major visual problem, I think, is that SK tried to ape Konami's style but are simply nowhere near as artistically talented. It looked like a poor ripoff of an actual Konami MGS game. Plus, they totally messed up the controls; they tried to copy the PS2 controller layout, but seemed to have forgotten that GCN doesn't have as many buttons or analogue facebuttons.

The game balance was also completely destroyed, but that is probably more to do with the intention of the project and the fact that nobody could really be bothered to remake the entire game to actually make it work with the updated mechanics rather than SK's skill.

ED I was never hugely impressed with. The controls are OK, but, honestly I prefer Silent Hill 2's on 2D control mode. I felt the 'target different body parts' was too clumsy.

nelg said:

From the same link:

And surprisingly enough, it is. By having the game's intelligent camera follow the action on its own, players don't have to worry about controlling the camera viewpoint. That frees up the Xbox 360 controller's right thumbstick to be used to execute melee attacks in any direction, while the left and right triggers control Baldur's auto-targeting firearms. It's instantly intuitive and a heck of a lot of fun. After just half an hour of playing a demo level, I was able to wade into a horde of foes, casually flipping some into the air with my sword and then blasting them to pieces with my dual pistols before they hit the ground.
That sounds good to me. As I said before I am really sceptical about not being able to control the camera, it makes you so restricted in what you can do and see, but maybe they are handling it better here than in MGS2...

Back