IGN Playing Red Steele (direct pics and video)

Teasy

Veteran
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705854p1.html

These screens and video's show the game looks better then the scans suggested.

A couple of examples:

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034051480.jpg

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034057886.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm impressed. I thought it was cool how you can twist the controller and the gun twists. The sword fight at the end looked like fun too, if a bit cheesy.

Also, the animation looks nice. It looked very natural when the guy got shot and slammed into the wall behind him.

hupfinsgack said:
They've been playing concept illustrations during the Live coverage of the Pre E3 conference ? :rolleyes:

Before rolling your eyes, how about using them instead to look at this page of IGN's hands on and seeing if they look mighty suspiciously like the first two posted in the original post ? Then you can even enlarge them to see they look almost exactly the same (concept illustrations that have aliasing).

For instance
red-steel-20060509074909942.jpg

rounin said:
Concept illustrations.

I'd just seen the guys from Ubisoft play through that concept illustration :) Nice to see that some people think it looks good enough to be a concept illustration anyway.

EDIT: rounin, you should have been using your eyes to watch the Nintendo conference. Obviously though images are higher res versions of the game, but its the same graphics outside of a drop in resolution.

rounin said:
Before rolling your eyes, how about using them instead to look at this page of IGN's hands on and seeing if they look mighty suspiciously like the first two posted in the original post ? Then you can even enlarge them to see they look almost exactly the same (concept illustrations that have aliasing).

Maybe you don't know what concept illustrations are? Those screenshots are, as I pointed out before, not native resolution, there might be additional AA, but that doesn't make them concept illustrations.

Anyway, the crazy french guy in the trailer was really funny, almost Mr Beanesque.

Teasy said:
I'd just seen the guys from Ubisoft play through that concept illustration :) Nice to see that some people think it looks good enough to be a concept illustration anyway.

EDIT: rounin, you should have been using your eyes to watch the Nintendo conference. Obviously though images are higher res versions of the game, but its the same graphics outside of a drop in resolution.
Maybe you don't know what concept illustrations are? Those screenshots are, as I pointed out before, not native resolution, there might be additional AA, but that doesn't make them concept illustrations.

I really don't see what the problem is here. Unless IGN was lying for no reason, these are concept illustrations, and if they are higher res versions, they are not screenshots, ie. if you direct captured them, these would not be what you got. They decided to call them concept illustrations, so thats what I wrote (or perhaps you see something different on the IGN site?). In the end, the point is the same : thats not the quality you see in game and thats what I, and IGN, are pointing out.

Otherwise are we to believe the screenshots we got of God of War 2 are going to look that smooth / pretty in-game on a PS2? No, those are concept illustrations. Heck we don't even judge GT4 photomode shots as indication of the game's graphic fidelity.

Saw the video looks good like a GC (GC SDK) to bad they didnt show the same than the E3 presentation that does have much more action, looking forward too it seems really cool to play.

rounin said:
Otherwise are we to believe the screenshots we got of God of War 2 are going to look that smooth / pretty in-game on a PS2? No, those are concept illustrations. Heck we don't even judge GT4 photomode shots as indication of the game's graphic fidelity.
As I understand it, they should be called promo shots. Concept illustrations are sketches or mockups to illustrate an idea, and not an actual game engine producing graphics but tarted up on the IQ.

Shifty Geezer said:
As I understand it, they should be called promo shots. Concept illustrations are sketches or mockups to illustrate an idea, and not an actual game engine producing graphics but tarted up on the IQ.

Exactly. That was what I was getting at.

Shifty Geezer said:

Exactly. That was what I was getting at.

My mistake. I thought a site such as IGN would be credible in their journalism but I think you guys are correct. "Promo shots" should be the word (I'm no English native speaker :( ).

But I do hope I got the message across just as well :LOL:

rounin said:
My mistake. I thought a site such as IGN would be credible in their journalism but I think you guys are correct. "Promo shots" should be the word (I'm no English native speaker :( ).

But I do hope I got the message across just as well :LOL:

No problem, I am not a native speaker as well, that's why I've been kind of dancing around the point until Shifty formulated it clearly. Ohh the woes of foreign languages :p

rounin said:
I really don't see what the problem is here. Unless IGN was lying for no reason, these are concept illustrations, and if they are higher res versions, they are not screenshots, ie. if you direct captured them, these would not be what you got.

They are most likely captures from a Wii development kit, using a higher then normal resolution. But other then that it is a screenshot of the actual game, just use your imagination to add a few jaggies :)

Those pics looks very nice. Nice improvement over most GC games.

Oh btw you MUST download the videos!!! Awesome!!:oops:

I have a feeling this will the THE control method for FPS..just mindblowing!!

Guys you must be fucking kidding me! Yeah the concept is nice, kudos for that (finally an innovative gaming experience!) but the game looks like a N64 game :)

Back