[PSP] MGS Peace Walker

patsu

Legend
... from Konami conference in Gamescom.

IGN article: http://psp.ign.com/articles/101/1014885p1.html

The focus of the Famitsu update is on the game's multiplayer cooperative component. This area of the game allows for two to four players to team up to clear missions.

Players will have to work together in a variety of ways for this area of the game. Screenshots show one player using the other player as a step to reach a higher platform. Another screen shows one player holding up a closing door while the other player runs inside.

Players can also save their allies. In one screen, we see one player reviving another player through CPR. Will there be mouth to mouth as well?

Kojima and crew have come up with some unique systems to facilitate multiplayer play. If you make your character put his hand on the back of another player's character, the two characters will be connected. When one moves, the other will follow automatically.

Some screens show a mysterious red ring surrounding two characters. While Famitsu doesn't say for sure, it seems that when these rings are overlapping, the two characters can share weapons and equipment.

Obviously, the multiplayer support suggests the strong possibility for strategic play. A few examples in Famitsu show players teaming up with multiple types of guns, allowing for long distance and close-range fire. One screen shows one character grabbing an enemy from behind after the enemy had been alerted to the other player approaching from the front.

co-op? I absolutely despised what I played of MGS4, but co-op is a great addition to tactical games. If I had a PSP, this would definitely be something I'd check out.

They absolutely need to make a cellular network attachment for PSPs in US. :p

Not sure whether Adhoc Party can work in US even if Sony brings it here. That's why I am curious to find out more.

Lol, i laughed so hard at the end with the tanks :)) Kojima is one of a kind no doubt about that.

Can't wait for some story footage/trailer.

Kojima ! You have to bring this to the ps3 ! :cry:

Atleast release it later as a PSN title maybe ! I want my true MGS story and game on ma PS3, thats what I bought it for :cry: !

Kojima ! You have to bring this to the ps3 !

In a recent interview with IGN he actually said something along the lines of bringing it to the PS3/360 next gen consoles.

Here's the quote from the article:

"My aim is - game-wise, story-wise and the whole world of Peace Walker - it's probably very easily ported to PS3 or 360 or the next-gen," he said, "and that's one of our goals that we're trying to achieve with Peace Walker."

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015858p1.html

Oh god I hope it's true.

Really !!!!! :O !

But would that mean making the assets in high quality so that it can be later ported to home consoles (mean extra time spent on stuff delaying release)? or does he just mean it in the sense that the gameplay is such that it could be ported over as another game(doesn't make much sense ,does it?)?

I am loving the MGS3 like setting with MGS2 like robots(they were so much more cooler than the mgs4 ones ! not complaining, though) ! The tech feeling of MGS2 with the forests+nature +personal storyline of mGS3 is a killer combination !

It's hard to say how accurately those words reflected what he meant. I'm hoping it meant we get a proper MGS 5 game.

Saw the trailer ! All I can say is that it should have been on the ps3 ! The engine was ready, they could have easily made it on the ps3 in the given time !
The constant reference to MGS3 in the trailer and the MGS2 kinda tech is so compelling.

Should have been on the ps3 ! T_T

I think i saw the trailer 4 times in a row (and a couple of times later) :D

Simply amazing (though i expected nothing less from the incredibly talented auteur that Kojima is). It would have been outstanding for the game to be on PS3 i won't lie, but hell, once i'll be absorbed in the story, i'll probably forget i'm watching some animated storyboards and not some blockbuster cutscenes ;)

Should have been on the ps3 ! T_T

Some interesting tidbits from Japan, which may answer the FAQ above:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/29/mgs_peace_walker_stage_event/

During the second stage, Kojima also chose to answer a question he said he gets a lot: why is Peace Walker coming to PSP and not PS3 or Xbox 360. His response, as quoted in full at Famitsu.com, was:

"I certainly want to make new generation games, and I enjoy watching the MGS Rising team from the side. However, 20 years or so from now, I believe we'll be in an era where one can play a variety of games by simply connecting a computer to a network. From within the home and outside the home. If this happens you'll be able to to take games with you wherever you go. In anticipation of this, I wanted to release MGS on the PSP now and test out that state."

This appears to be a major point about Peace Walker. Kojima actually mentioned it during his acceptance speech at the Future Game Awards on the last day of the show.

I didn't expect the Peace Walker game to look so good on PSP.

Apparently, it also uses a technology called "Vocaloid" for its in-game voices.

Konami has partnered with Yamaha to implement NetVocaloid technology into Peace Walker. The game will feature original Vocaloid samples based on the voice cast. Using these samples it will generate the singing and speaking voice for the AI boss machines within the game.

This is normal use of Vocaloid technology, but what is unique for this game is that Konami will set up an interim server between Yamaha's NetVocaloid servers and the game's player interface - allowing the players to input their own original lyrics into Konami's server, and subsequently receiving the data files with the Vocaloid singing those lyrics. The Japanese version of the game will draw from Japanese language sound banks, while the US and European versions of the game will draw from the English language sound banks.

This will be the first time NetVocaloid technology is deployed outside of Japan. Currently in Japan there is a mobile NetVocaloid service, for users to generate songs for their phones using Yamaha's Vocaloid banks.

Currently, the only confirmed Vocaloid in the game revealed on the Japanese official site of Peace Walker is that of Yumi Kikuchi. It is not known if she is the only AI-voice character in the game, or if there will be other bosses with different voices. It is also not known if her voice will be the base for both the Japanese and English versions of the game. Since there is no Vocaloid section on the official English site, we can only guess, but the Yamaha press release makes it clear the feature will exist in all versions of the game.

Stolen from GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17812062&postcount=1

Original Source: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/2009/09092501.html

What is Kojima talking about here ? Any leaks ? I am already spoiled by all the Sony leaks for the past few months: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176464

What should we be looking forward to the most with Peace Walker? "In terms of volume, I mentioned onstage at TGS that the script is as thick as Metal Gear Solid 4's," Kojima noted. "I'm putting everything I want to do on a portable console into this game. I haven't announced this yet, but there's another feature in here that will surprise people, to the point where they'll want to go out and buy a PSP right now!"

If it turns out to be some lame feature, his reputation will take a hit. So better leak it now to test our responses. :devilish:

Europe will get Peace Walker by May 28:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

May 28, 2010 is the longest you’ll have to wait for an English version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

That’s when Konami’s European branch will release Peace Walker in Europe. The press release mentions co-op play and “a twisting plot that will delight and surprise as the game is played,” but doesn’t mention the Vocaloid collaboration.

No date announced for US yet.

Back