I saw this at another board, what do you make of it?

MechanizedDeath said:
Um, sounds kinda like that crappy Republic engine that the DC fans once wet their pants over. Turned out to be a load of bs IIRC. PEACE.
Well, Republic did eventually come out for the PC. It had a good amount of detail, but the lighting, texturing and other such details weren't anything to rave about. I don't remember any claims of photorealism in any of the previews, and it's certainly not evidenced in the final game, so I don't know what makes you draw the comparison of Nintendo's patent to Republic.
Gamespot Review Screens
The visuals can look quite good at any given moment. Buildings are rendered superrealistically and look equally sharp at a distance and zoomed in, where you might get close enough to see details like a variety of foods at different street vendors. The cities have a realistic scale, which makes the Soviet architecture of institutional buildings look all the more imposing. In contrast to all that detail, people have a caricatured look. But the way they move is what's really off-putting. At the beginning of a phase with an important conversation, the camera will lock on an odd pathfinding dance, with characters going out of their way on indirect paths before finally coming together for a friendly salute. Such events aren't hand-scripted--you pick the specific location--and it's obvious. Other story events display similarly awkward pacing, with drawn-out set-up shots of 20 seconds or more just showing cars rolling up and a few peripheral people getting out. It wouldn't be quite so tedious except for the fact that the camera is locked for the least entertaining and least interactive parts of these sequences.

I'm a bit curious about why people aren't more interested in this. It is after all probably the feature, or one of the features Nintendo will be tooting as revolutionary on their next console.

Where do you get that idea from? This feature seems unlikely to be very useful next gen with all the 3D power Revolution will provide. Unless it makes for extremely cost effective development (producing huge worlds at a fraction of the normal development costs).

Back