I need some help...

Urian

Regular
.. with an academic work that I am doing about Virtual Reality.

You only need to answer this questions:

Why do you believe that Virtual Reality had become a failure in the desktop market?

Do you believe that Virtual Reality can be adapted to our current lives and make it better?

Have you experienced with Virtual Reality? If you answer yes tell us about your experience.

Thanks

1) Yes
2) Sure, why not
3) No, not really

Now, where are my $50?

expense
low resolution + quality
induces a sort of dizzyness or disorientation
no killer app

ps: serious sam has a red/blue anaglyph mode
and of course so do nvidia steroscopic drivers if you have some glasses lying about and want to try them

Why do you believe that Virtual Reality had become a failure in the desktop market?
Because no one really offered any viable VR solutions? :|

Do you believe that Virtual Reality can be adapted to our current lives and make it better?
Yes.

Have you experienced with Virtual Reality?
Yes.

If you answer yes tell us about your experience.
First why don't you define "virtual reality" for me? :|

I wasn't aware if there was any proper desktop VR solution.

The headset needs to be wireless, slim, automatic adjustment, very high resolution and very responsive motion tracking. Even with that, I think hologram has more potential for everyday uses. VR would be useful in simulations and games.

Have you experienced with Virtual Reality? If you answer yes tell us about your experience.

Yes. It was a long time ago in some tech demo, forgot where. The headset was heavy, took a very long time (10+ minutes) for the tech there to adjust the headset for me. In the end my view of the display was slightly misaligned so I wasn't quite in virtual world. The demo was of some crude FPS, with no wall, just objects floating around in some untextured world and rather pixelated. Headset and hand device motion tracking had alot of lag. It has more lag than say Nintendo Wii (which has alot of lag for my taste). It wasn't calibrated properly either. So you can imagined, control was kinda difficult.

Beside those problems, I assumed if the headset was properly made for me, I would get a nice wide field of view to enjoy first person game superior compare to a monitor. And I am pretty sure VR headset need to be custom fitted.

technology was crap

eeeh, maybe in the future, i still don't see it as
feasible

yes, 30 dollar hits of X with shrooms

1/ never seen it in a desktop environment
2/ yep hugely
3/ i tried it out in adelaide in 1995 + thought it was realy really cool even with the (what must of been) crap graphics

I think we need electrodes wired to the internal ear for motion/orientation/acceleration sensing but I'm not sure it would be very hygeniec and an easy sell, not to mention bugs or malicious software could make it a torture and/or vomitting experience.

yeah, try some stereoscopic gaming with a NV card and LCD shutter glasses : there are many issues with games but when I works it can be great. Far Cry works well and the stereo effect is damn useful, you've got to have a CRT running at 120Hz or more though (a half-decent one will do in lower resolutions). LCD screens killed that niche market.

Thanks

I remember as a kid there was a Cybersmith, an internet cafe that was probably the first place ever to feature PC multiplayer games come the invention of the internet and the original Quake, downtown from where I lived:

http://www.december.com/cmc/mag/1995/mar/jason.html

Anyway, at one point I remember they had some sort of VR unit. Even at the time, this was in the 90's, and 3D graphics were starting to rear their head in gaming, this was beyond terrible. It reminded me a lot of using a virtual boy, minus the red graphics. I, personally, don't know of a VR concept that was introduced that hasn't flopped, in fact I don't see a practical use for it anymore, it seems a pie-in-the-sky dream that evolved from the minds of people in the 80's, but never actually took off successfully. What DID happen to VR? Are there any examples of modern usage of VR?

Thanks

1. Costs, need for weird glasses, little applications that use it as far as I know etc.

2. What do you mean with make it better? Make it better as in going from no healthcare to good healtcare or going from sd tv to hd tv? The first one makes life better, the second makes life more comfortable. IMO VR will just be another extra luxury. Fun, but it wont improve my life.

3. If you count the movies with the glasses than yes. It was kinda fun, those movies usually arnt very good and its more for the 3d experiance than they really try to show you something good.

that might be H3D glasses, I have them. That design dates back to the voodoo2/TNT days, doesn't it? maybe they should have a new model, with faster LCD shutters to reduce ghosting..

they work with nvidia 3D Stereo driver, you can grab the latest one on guru3D.com then find the matched forceware driver (this is still necessary afaik). if you have an ATI then I don't know. don't expect good support anyway besides the nvidia/CRT combinaison.

Nope, no workie with LCD's via DVI cable with the nV driver.

The glasses are fine, they're all the same hardware-wise (mine are from Elsa). Ghosting was never really bad and doesn't bother me. I enjoyed gaming with them like nothing else, I'd love to be able to play with them again.

Back