I invented a new math formula, I'm so smrt.

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I'm doing lists and logic in maths.
So I'm reading about subsets and their combinations.

S = {a, b, c}

Subsets are:
{}, {a}, {b}, {c}, {ab}, {ac}, {bc}, {a, b, c}

So I figure, who wants to count combinations?
Why not factorialise this?

S = {a, b, c}, count conversion {1st element, 2nd element, 3rd element}

countS = e! + 2
The "+2" comes from the null set and the total number of elements.

I know how to apply math. Isn't this cool?
Next time I'll brag about knowing the alphabet. :D

Whoops! I think I made a booboo.

I've just read the next line in the book and it says the total elements a set has is 2^n, where 'n' is the number of elements inside the set.

I was doing combinations of sets.
I forgot the no. 1 rule of sets, sets have unique elements.

Whoops, I think I should read the chapter before doing all sorts of nasty things to the math.

i lkie teh nasty11!!!11

You know what's REALLY depressing, Kruno?

You see, there probably was some arab or chinese who did the EXACT SAME boo-boo you did in the eighth century or so, thinking he'd discovered something but hadn't. :devilish:

Guden Oden said:
You know what's REALLY depressing, Kruno?

You see, there probably was some arab or chinese who did the EXACT SAME boo-boo you did in the eighth century or so, thinking he'd discovered something but hadn't. :devilish:

I don't know about Arabs but the Chinese that I know are crazy at everything maths. They have difficulty explaining it and helping me to understand but they can do it anyways. Weird.

did you know that you can add the digits of a number and then divide that number by 3 and the resulting decimal will be the same as the decimal on the original number?

for instance, take the number 567321964...

5 + 6 + 7 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 9 + 6 + 4 = 43
4 + 3 = 7
7 / 3 = 2.333
567321964 / 3 = 189107321.333

5 + 6 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 19
1 + 9 = 10
10 = 1
1 / 3 = 0.333
56431 / 3 = 18810.333

6 + 8 + 5 + 2 = 24
2 + 4 = 6
6 / 3 = 2.0
68352 / 3 = 22784.0

Quite a clever idea actually...
If you know that you can test for divisibility (is that even a word?) by 3 by adding the digits and divide the resulting number by 3, the basis of why your approach works becomes a little bit clearer, IMO.

Beafy said:
Quite a clever idea actually...
If you know that you can test for divisibility (is that even a word?) by 3 by adding the digits and divide the resulting number by 3, the basis of why your approach works becomes a little bit clearer, IMO.

wait... so this test for divisibility by 3 is a known approach? I thought I had discovered something all on my own :cry:

It makes even more sense if you do your math in modulo. Because 10 = 1 mod 3, 12345 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 mod 3 = 15 mod 3 = 1 + 5 mod 3 = 6 mod 3 = 0. Similarly for mod 9.

11 is also not bad since 10 = -1 mod 11, so you get 1 or -1 depending on which power of 10.

Back