Gamecube 2 specs

Uhm, forgive me for saying so, but it's not even 1% commifered. It's just a big ol' bunch of hooey and speculation from some internet who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I don't know if the guy is lying about his contact or not. Its certainly a decent possiblity that he is, but I don't see how you can be so sure about it. Unless you know the specs of the next system?

As for the XBox2/N5 identical hardware thing... when are people going to get off this truley silly idea?

Teasy,

How I can be so sure? Because the thing reads like a little kid's christmas wishlist, that's why. Then mix in some confusion and misunderstandings and we end up with quite a mess. For example, the 2GHz G5 is not as fast as a 3.4GHz P4, it's not even very close actually.

I see nothing in that text that points towards the guy having any inside connections whatsoever, he's just building on previous speculation and PC product announcements, that's all. Anyone can do that.

Guden Oden said:
Because the thing reads like a little kid's christmas wishlist, that's why. Then mix in some confusion and misunderstandings and we end up with quite a mess....I see nothing in that text that points towards the guy having any inside connections whatsoever, he's just building on previous speculation and PC product announcements, that's all. Anyone can do that.

That's pretty much how I read it.

I got Panzer Dragoon Orta a few months back on ebay for $20

I made a topic months ago where Best Buy was selling it for 10, a few lucky people here got the order in before they sold out.

I paid 50 when it first came out, worth EVERY penny, fabulous game.

Teasy said:
As for the XBox2/N5 identical hardware thing... when are people going to get off this truley silly idea?

I agree with that. In fact, if for some mystical reason MS and Nintendo really make almost the exact same machine, I swear I will wear the same boxers for three weeks straight, and eat them later. I just find it to be a ridiculous, highly improbable idea.

I don't think the nintendo system could be that powerful, unless it does like a late 2005 or 2006 release.

BTW, afaik, ppc970 isn't the fastest cpu clock for clock, the athlon 64 is the fastest, followed by the centrino or whatever, and then athlon xp and ppc970 are about the same but athlon xp takes the lead in gaming benchmarks and ppc970 in productivity. Also, the best intel pentium 4 chips, and the best amd athlon xp and 64 chips are faster than the fastest ppc970, so what does that leave it beating? It beats pentium 4 and the cyrix cpus clock for clock, and the cyrix and centrino cpus for overall speed. And by cyrix I mean via.

Fox5. :D

Could you explain to me why Centrino is more faster than PPC970?

The notebook of my brother runs Mandrake with Centrino. ¿Why it isn´t more faster than my G4 800 running Mandrake for PPC?

:rolleyes:

Urian,

Lemme guess, your centrino laptop isn't clocked as fast as your Mac, perhaps? Fox5 was talking clock-for-clock performance. Also, memory subsystem etc will play a part in the final performance of an entire computer, and being a laptop I guess you won't find the fastest components in the world included there...

Is there a decent chance that Nintendo is also working with NEC and/or other Japanese companies (Hitachi, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, etc) on a CPU ?

what happened to the rumors of a massively parallel NEC CPU?

I don't see IBM working on more than one CPU for Nintendo. basicly, they choose one family of CPU like PPC 970 and go with that. either single core or multi core.

when Dolphin/GCN was in development, ArtX helped Nintendo select a CPU. it was down to either MIPS or IBM.

I kinda hope Nintendo has at least one good alternative to IBM. If Nintendo starts leaning toward that alternative (i.e. NEC, Hitachi, etc) that would dispell the nasty rumor of MS/Nintendo having the same hardware.
N5/GCNext would be clearly different from Xbox 2.

edit: just remembered, GCNext is going to be backward compatable with GCN, so at the very least, the new console would have to have a Gekko in it. but more likely, Nintendo *IS* going with IBM as the CPU provider for the new console, and that CPU will either emulate Gekko or be back compatable with it ( I obviously don't understand very well how CPUs work but I'd imagine it's something like how a Pentium4 can run apps that were made around the time of the Pentium/II/III)

Megadrive1988 said:
Is there a decent chance that Nintendo is also working with NEC and/or other Japanese companies (Hitachi, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi, etc) on a CPU ?

what happened to the rumors of a massively parallel NEC CPU?

I don't think that Massively parallel architecture is the path that Nintendo choosed, has insinuated Itawa on his Gamespy's interview.

Satoru Iwata said:

And yes the BC will force Nintendo to license again an ip from Ibm whatever happens. :D

I don't think that Massively parallel architecture is the path that Nintendo choosed, has insinuated Itawa on his Gamespy's interview.

yeah, most likely you are right.

I was going by things said and rumored in past, while not remembering the more recent things said by Nintendo's top brass.

Urian said:
Fox5. :D

Could you explain to me why Centrino is more faster than PPC970?

The notebook of my brother runs Mandrake with Centrino. ¿Why it isn´t more faster than my G4 800 running Mandrake for PPC?

:rolleyes:

Possibility 1: The Pentium M isn't running at full clock rate due to power concerns.

Possibility 2: Mandrake might be better-optimised for PowerPC.

Possibility 3: Your brother might have the kernel bogged down by numerous add-ins.

Possibility 4: Your brother sucks at compiling.

Nintendo and MS will NEVER EVER work together to release a common platform! And if GC2 comes with a hardrive they can shove it!

Mostly the price. Also it doesn't fit the philisophy. They stated numerous times that they don't wanna make a PC-ish console.

Um, how is adding an HD making it a PC-ish console? It'd have to have a lot more simularites to a PC than just an HD to make it PC-ish.

Well it makes it more PC-ish than without a HD i think you cannot argue with that :D Also their philosophy is to keep everything simple, HD requires more space, probably better cooling and makes more noise. And the benefits are neglectable.

They wanna cut the cost, and strip the hardware to the bare minimum required to run games. A HD is just totally unneccessary.

Back