Hybrid news from L.A. autoshow.

That was pretty crappy though 10 miles? Up to 10? Arg for petes sake can't they at least do twenty? 10 is just to little. It is a step in the right direction though and something that should have been done long ago.

That was pretty crappy though 10 miles? Up to 10? Arg for petes sake can't they at least do twenty? 10 is just to little. It is a step in the right direction though and something that should have been done long ago.
Yes, that was a disappointment, but hopefully other car manuf. will try to one up gm. I think right now tesla has one of the better systems out there.

epic

Its all about the size of the battery packs. If your car is all batteries, it goes further on batteries than one that isn't.

That being said, the average commute is 16 miles. So, it would give at least 2/3rds coverage for half of all commuters, which isn't shabby, and it'll probably cost about $20k, rather than $100K.

Its all about the size of the battery packs. If your car is all batteries, it goes further on batteries than one that isn't.

That being said, the average commute is 16 miles. So, it would give at least 2/3rds coverage for half of all commuters, which isn't shabby, and it'll probably cost about $20k, rather than $100K.

I knew the average commute was around 16 miles which is why I said 20. 2/3 isn't too shabby but 100% is awesome.

I really don't think you would have to make things too crazy to get 20 miles on battery power. 20 miles is pathetic. The same site says people have gotten 50 miles out of the prius, so I figure the Vue could get 1/2 of that one would hope. (and yes 25 is good enough).

My real question on all this is what affect will using it as such have on the batteries? Will you get 5 miles in a year?

Hmm does it have atleast a european built V8? no? then I dont like it :)

But what is the use of cars like this if 99% of americans still only drive cars that do 1/8km at best?

I'm not getting what you're saying/asking. Did you type everything correctly?

:LOL: Well I did write everything, but there was a bit of inference to things that were not specifically mentioned.

I meant, if you used the Saturn vue as a Plug in Hybrid and actually drove the 10 miles on electricity only every day what would this do to the batteries? How robust are they? Does continual drain and recharge destroy them and at what rate. I know many batteries increase in capacity for the first few cycles flatten out and then decline significantly, so how many cycles are in these batteries so to speak.

Tangent
Energy storage is one of the most pressing issues of our day. Solar and wind power are of limited use until better energy storage is available. Hybrids etc are as well. It is something that we are really lacking in the capability to do, store and then use energy in an efficient manner. Usually each step takes a large percentage of the potential energy and wastes it.

Back