Huge Problem with HDD!! Please Help

I find enclosures either work or not.
I've certainly see that too, but then the enclosures were just dead. The symptoms I'm talking bout here (two DIY enclosures and a name brand 2.5" external drive) were intermittent device errors piling up in the event log and inevitably data/filesystem corruption. The disks themselves are working fine to this day.

I've certainly see that too, but then the enclosures were just dead. The symptoms I'm talking bout here (two DIY enclosures and a name brand 2.5" external drive) were intermittent device errors piling up in the event log and inevitably data/filesystem corruption. The disks themselves are working fine to this day.

Interesting that you've seen it in both enclosure sizes. I truly have yet to see interface failure in an enclosure that still allowed the drive to transfer data albeit intermittently. Good to know that it can happen though. I'll keep an eye out for it more now.

You wouldnt make a good spy would you nesh
head of the c.i.a : "did you study the enemies plans"
Nesh : "yes"
head of the c.i.a : "what did they say"
Nesh : "er something about tanks i think" :D

From the faq

Q. While running GetDataBack I receive a disk error. What does this mean?

A. GetDataBack is a solution for software related problems, it cannot help you with failed hardware. A disk error is a sign for a hardware problem. We recommend to stop working with the corrupted drive until you make a disk image. (Every try to access data can increase corruption!) After successfully creating an image you can use the image file as an input for GetDataBack.

You learn something new every day Brit :D
When I searched for I/O errors in the help index it reckomended that in the settings I should put "retry" instead of "skip" in "Bad Sector".

It said that in case of one bad sector in "skip" every other sector is considered bad which is what I think happened despite that others may be good.

So can I STILL do a disk image of the drive despite the I/0 errors?

So what do I do after I make a disk image?

In case this is the same thing with mine what should I do? Just plug it internally and run GetDataBack? How do I fix the problem of "intermittent device errors piling up in the event log and inevitably data/filesystem corruption". I suspect this as the problem.

I run GetDatBack while the HDD was connected on a USB2.0 on a friends computer. He wouldntrisk opening his desktop to insert it. But I tried to insert it in my desktop but I had a problem which I ll point below

lets hope he has a cable select cable....
plus if he has a single drive on the wrong connection adding another hdd to the other connection with make them swap drive letters

I dont know whats that cable. I tried every combination seen in the image though and the PC just wouldnt move from the start up screen no matter what.

The only way it would reckognise the HDD was to set it like the second example in the above image plug it in after it enters windows and then let the device manager find it. It found it and worked through GetDataBack but the problem was that the stupid thing needed 8 hours to complete. So I stopped it. On my friends USB 2.0 only needed 3 and a half hours.

Can't you connect that drive in some other PC internally? That would speed things up considerably and avoid any possible USB-related problems. Maybe the drive gets too hot in that enclosure? I had that several times, runs fine for an hour or so and than it craps out when it reaches the shutdown temperature.

I rerun GetDataback again but with "retry" in "Bad Sectors" and the files appeared. Only some of the folders appeared with screwed up names. I tried to copy them to my friends external HDD but I found out that I had to license the program to be able to do that :(

Found a crack but doesnt seem to work :(

Have you tried HandryRecovery that I linked to previously? It's not as extensive as GDB, but may work well enough for what you need. It has a 30-day eval version that allows for recovery of 1 file per day. It's priced a little cheaper.

Well with more than 60GB needed to get copied I ll need something that offers me more freedom :p
Here's a free alternative. Not as good as GetDataBack, but it is quite usable.

I ll try that that too when I ll get the chance. I hope it doesnt mess up with my HDD files. With getdataback atleast I feel safe because it found my files and I can check the files if they work.

I dont know if this one will work the same or mess with my HDD. If you tried it you can tell me your opinion so I ll feel less hesitant

Use Ghost or Acronis True Image to clone that thing to a good drive. If neither of those programs can clone the drive, try HD Duplicator. Then run Getback or whatever other data recovery app you'd like to on the good drive.

Just would like to inform you that I have managed to get my files back :D

GetDatBack did wonders

Nah I actually managed to get them around a month after I posted my problem. Still it has taken too much because my slow ass labtop was inappropriate. Especially considering that it had USB 1.0 and my disk that needed recovery was external.

I had to take it to a friend of mine whenever I had the time to check various methods. It was a long painful story.

First time I tried it, results showed a mess of unrecognized files. I wanted to pull my hair off. I had to redo the scanning with different options.
Did it and found the files. Problem was, I didnt have the crack. Found the crack at home. Didnt work. Found many cracks also didnt work.

I then downloaded a supposed "proffesional" substitude of GetDataBack. Came up with a mess of files. I later brought my HDD to another friend hoping to find another crack for GTB. Well we found the same c racks that didnt work before. I wasnt expecting to work. But it seems that it was my computer\s fault that they didnt work. They worked on his. I left my HDD at his home to recover my files. More than 6 hours needed.

Heh

Back