How to back up email on outlook express

jvd

Banned
I'm using outlook express for email. I'm going to move away from dual 200gig hardrives to dual 280gig hardrives (not much of a leap but my sister needed big hardrives for video editing at college ) So i was wondering how i can back up on a cd my email so I wont loose anything.

one of the easiest ways I've found to transfer email with OE is by just copying the identities folder to the new location. of course the location of identities changes depending on the version of windows you have. older vers are in /windows/application data whilst new ones are buried in /documents and settings/[username]/local settings/applicationdata/identities/

often you can load up your new windows, create an identity in OE then copy the contents of your old identities folder over the new one.

OE does come with export features for messages though I think this is only for transferring mail of OE to Outlook/Exchange on the same machine.

That's the method I use. Instead of copying over the backup folder over the fresh installation though, you can just go into OE and choose File -> Import -> Messages -> Microsoft Outlook Express 6 -> Import mail from an OE6 store directory and choose the folder on the CD where all the .dbx files are.

Back