Home Theater Help

Natoma

Veteran
Ok, so I just found out I got a $12K raise (yes, you read that right. I did a :oops: when I found out) for my job performance last year, and I'm contemplating purchasing a totally new Home Theater system.

Anyone have websites that I can go to to get reviews on all current stand-alone parts and complete systems?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Danke. I've been told that for plasma tv's the panasonics are the best around. And what do you know, I'm staring at an ad banner for a 42" plasma tv that looks like it's from panasonic. lol

Anyways, I'm off to look around. ty.

Just my opinion, but IMO a LCD projector is a better choice than a plasma screen. Why settle with 42" when you can have 100" or even more? :)

Natoma,
The MUST READ forum for home theater needs:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb

A stinking wealth of information there for every aspect of home theater... and what makes it great is its "community" feel... even you "newb" questions are usually answered by someone with knowledge in an understanding way (most of the time). I find the guys on the projector (digital) forums to be more helpful than the audio forums, but there are a lot of opinions and pointers there.

I spent two years finishing our basement and constructed a dedicated HT room according to Dennis Erksine's (a helpful and well thought of professional HT designer who contributes to the forum) philosophy. I'm not disappointed! Things become almost affordable when you gain the knowledge to "DIY" in the home theater world. You can get pretty elaborate with appearance AND performance without spending nearly as much as you think if you spend some time at avsforum...

I unfortunately don't have a lot of pics on the web, but here's a link to a thread I posted some to on beyond3d a while back...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Lastly, for speakers, consider www.vmpsaudio.com. Brian Cheney (Founder and designer) answers the phone daily there as he has for almost 20 years now. He's very helpful and patient with questions. But #1, he makes the best speakers ont he planet, IMO... Check out the ribbon monitors (if you're sticker shocked, a pair of 626 ribbons with a VMPS subwoofer of your choice will still knock your socks off...).

-Chris

Back