Hi. I registered. Sucks for you. :p

Crayon

Regular
I've been reading the forum for a long time and I've really enjoyed the technical discussion. Although I've been interested in 3d graphics for a long time, I have never really been able to get a real understanding of how they work. I try to soak up as much info as I can, but since I never apply it, it dosn't stick.

I'd be content to keep lurking but last wednesday on my commute, my bare skin hit the bare freeway when I went down on my motorbike. Making me a flesh crayon. =(
I'll be laid up for a couple of weeks so I though maybe I could join in on a little discussion. I'll probably be most active int the console games forum as I don't have alot to contribute in the technical realm, but my understanding and enthusiasm for gameplay might go over well.

I love gaming and I love the search button so I hope I'll be a good addition.

You weren't wearing full leather armor, I guess? Then again, I guess just getting torn up is certainly better than the alternative.

You weren't wearing full leather armor, I guess? Then again, I guess just getting torn up is certainly better than the alternative.

Nope. I never once got on that bike uprotected without taking a few seconds to consider the consequences. So I really can't regret it. And now I'll never be able to take off my shirt without being reminded of how that gamble worked out for me.

No biggie. Stuff happens. I'm pretty stoked to be alive and popping Vicadin.

On my 18th birthday a while back I became a crayon too. It was a hot May day, so I was wearing shorts and tshirt to college. I'd just got back with my gf after a slight bump, my dad was down to see me and we were going to dinner that night, it was a friends bday the same as mine, so we'd made plans with all our other friends to have a proper party on the Friday. All in all, it was a brilliant day.

At 4pm I got on my bike (push not motor) and set off for home. My college was on top of a hill, and the road could get scary in winter, so the surface was tar with stones pushed into it for tyre grip. I cycled past my college, and a car went past with four guys in it. They shouted insults at everyone as they drove past, and the passenger leaned out the window and waved a 12" serated bread knife around. I kind of chuckled at their amazing stupidity as they zoomed over the hill.

To get home, I cycled UP hill into a small village and then down the hill on the other road (the village formed a V on top of the hill). I cycled into the villaged, and looked around to see if I could see the car - nope. So I set off down the hill. Now, I was uber fit at this point in my life, so I could rack up some speed on my bike. I was in a rediculously low position, flying down this hill at 35mph. Up ahead there was a bus coming up the hill towards me but it was a fair way off.

All of a sudden, the car with the four guys in it pulls along side me. They were obviously drunk. The passenger leaned out and got hold of my handle bars and I tried to pry his fingers off, but the guy in the back wound down the window and grabbed hold of my rucksack. The car sped up and my speedo showed 51mph. Then the passenger screamed "SEE YA" at me, and pushed me sideways. My wheels hit the curb, I hit the car, and my front wheel jacknifed. I went over my handle bars at 50mph, onto the scariest road surface ever.

The car sped off as I hit the road on my back. I remember spinning round, and my feet actually finding traction, but I was still going so fast, that I kinda stood up, and then flew forward and came down hard on my front. I rolled another 10m before stopping on the other side of the road. The bus I'd seen earlier stopped another 5m down the hill from me. If the guys had held on for another couple of seconds, I'd probably have smashed into the front of the bus at 30mph or so, with my forehead.

I think I fainted for a moment, cos i opened my eyes, and the bus driver and some else was there asking me if I was OK. That actually made me angrier than the guys in the car. I mean, I know they were only showing concern, but theyve just seen me cartwheel down the road at 50mph, Im bleeding from every limb, I already had a black eye, a huge gash on my forehead and one of my glasses lens was smashed. Oh, and I was knocked unconcious - IM JUST FINE THANKS!

So I hobble off to the side of the road, with the other person, and the busdriver leaves. The person tries the three or four houses near to us, but no one is home. I didnt have a mobile at this point and I was in no shape to ride home. My bike was pooched anyway, flat tyres, broken spokes, bent drailleur. I thanked the person, and told them I would go back to college. Stupid idea, it was over a mile away.

It took me an hour to hobble back, pushing my bike. Going back through the village I met two girl friends, who jokingly told me to get out of their village, until they got closer and saw my red clothes. They helped me back to college. I got into the hall and fainted again in the middle of the floor. Later when I was leaving I saw the puddle of blood that had accumulated. Pretty scary, it was huge. I also saw my rucksack when I got home. It was Berghaus waterproof thing, I think made of neroprene or similar. Anyway, the front of it was melted completely where I landed on it. That could have been my back o_O

So good day to bad day, sucks when it happens.

(I wonder if anyone actually read all that)

I read all that. Holy hell that's an awefull story.

I've only had a minute to think this over, but- I think I'd have found a way to kill one of those guys and done it. That's the god's honest. I'm an avid cyclist and I've had my share of jackasses trying to embarrass me on the road. I've keyed cars and kicked out taillights not for justice but sheer rage. I'm normally very cool headed but something about that bully scenario on a bicycle just makes me sick.

Two minutes now- Yeah. Still murder 2nd degree.

Interesting to see what I think of it tomorrow.

Let's see if my mind changese by tomorow.

i, too, never understood people asking the proverbial 'are you ok?' to somebody apparently severely injured. though i guess it's normal for english speakers. nevertheless it's utterly stupid. i guess asking 'how do you feel?' or 'anything broken?' never occurs to people under such circumnstances.

btw, i can only second crayon here (btw, welcome, pal) - i'd bust the head of any of those four guys without a second thought. and that'd be a casual act of darwinian sanitation, not out of anger or anything like that.

Seriously, even to this day (6 years later), if I could have, in any way hurt or injured those guys, I still would.

I mean, I have flights of fancy where I have a hand grenade when they pull along side me, and I manage to throw it in the car, and it goes off. And I don't feel bad. They messed me up proper.

And yes, I did report to the authorities, but still to this day, I don't remember the model of the car (tho it might have been a Sierra) or the colour (I dream that it was dark green or red sometimes). Also, I was to busy going "oooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..... ow, ow, ow, ow, ow" to notice the license plate. Not much came of the report. And yes, the report was marked as attempted murder.

The reason I was so fit, and why every day for 6 years I cycled 8 miles to school and 8 miles home was I LOVED cycling. I had an awesome bike (set me back £2500) and I was team leader of a local XC Challenger Club. By the end of my 18th birthday, I was to scared to get back on my bike. I stopped cycling completely. I had to pull out of the Rider Cup we were 2nd of 18 teams in (my team finished 6th in the end).

At least it makes a good story in the pub and on forums, now that I don't remember how much it hurt.

if i had to stereotype people by what they drive sportbike riders would have to be the worst. Pretty much everyone i come across on a sportbike thinks they have a special set of rules for driving on the road. Hey lets weave in and out of traffic speeding cause i'm invulnerable!

Not that thats the OP. Just a random thought.

Sugarcoat, it's one of those stereotypes that's true more often than not. Unfortunate, but that's how I see it.

If you've never spent time on a superbike it's hard to imagine the power trip but it takes alot of self control to temper it. I liken it to firing a gun. I think alot of people who have done both would agree.

welcome crayon! so from where are you? how old are ya and what you do for a living?

Black & blue (and red) by the sounds of it.:oops:

Simon F has control of the board...

I live in the California Bay Area. I work in construction as a union plumber and I'm 25 years old.

I like motorcycles but I'm passionate about fast/beuatiful/rare cars. I'm big into cycling, both road and mountain. And my interest in videogames is, shall I say- more involved than the average enthusiast.* Eventually I'd like to find a niche that involved me working in the industry.

*I'm dead effing serious about my games. Sometimes I agonize about which Sonic game was the best and why. Was it 1 or 2?? Was the incongruance of Green Hill Zone a sophisticated bait and switch? Nights was more like 2 but was that just fan service or Naka's genuine preferance? Was he right? It's maddenning. How is a man supposed to sleep at nite...

Well, welcome to the board, Crayon.
i, too, never understood people asking the proverbial 'are you ok?' to somebody apparently severely injured. though i guess it's normal for english speakers.
For what it worth, it's the same thing in French. And yep, it's a stupid saying.
*I'm dead effing serious about my games. Sometimes I agonize about which Sonic game was the best and why. Was it 1 or 2?? Was the incongruance of Green Hill Zone a sophisticated bait and switch? Nights was more like 2 but was that just fan service or Naka's genuine preferance? Was he right? It's maddenning. How is a man supposed to sleep at nite...
Sega fan? Double welcome then.

Back