HEXUS preview Gears Of War

It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it. We set off to a swanky London penthouse to play one of the most anticipated games of 2006, the third-person tactical shooter, Gears of War. We’d heard mixed previews, mainly revolving around a dodgy control system, but we’d been looking forward to the game for so long that we weren’t going to be phased by the hollers of discontent from a minority. We’ve seen plenty of trailers to know that Gears of War would look great and seen in-game footage which had blew us away, but it’s easy to be deceived with the publisher’s hype when we hadn’t seen it with our own eyes. We were excited, but also cautious just in case Gears of War didn’t quite live up to our expectations.

From the moment that we clutched the 360 controller in our sweaty palms and witnessed the first 30 seconds of the multiplayer map called Gridlock we were quite literally stunned. I exchanged a few glances with the HEXUS.gaming Editor Nick Haywood which was enough to tell the story. We didn’t have to say anything; it was the language of the gamer, the twinkle in his eye, and his ever widening smile that told me that he was thinking exactly what I was thinking. It was a moment where I just wanted to lay bare my inner emotions and shout at the top of my voice. It was moment that defied all logic as I struggled to come to terms with how the first moments of a videogame had messed with my soul. I literally took up position behind the cover of a car and sat there shaking my head in disbelief, frozen with awe, but occasionally brave enough to take a few pot-shots at an enemy on the far side of the map. As a person who’s been gaming for 18 years, playing Gears of War is undoubtedly the highest I’ve ever felt. Forget drugs and alcohol, everything you need to get that adrenaline pumping is coming our way in November.

A bit of background first… Gears of War thrusts gamers into humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde. In this third-person tactical action/horror game, players live and breathe the role of Marcus Fenix. A disgraced former war hero, Marcus seeks personal redemption as he leads his fire team against an onslaught of merciless warrior fiends.

Gears of War is so good that we’ve been on a come-down since we had to leave it behind. It’s all we’ve been thinking about ever since and we’re in no doubt that it’s shaping up to be one of the greatest games of all time and one that should inspire other developers to follow suit. The era of next-gen shooters is upon us and you’d be foolish if you didn’t want to be part of it. ‘Emergence Day’ is on November 17th and it shouldn’t be missed.

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6997

gow1en4.jpg

and a useful hint :D

** Order Gears of War - $45 Dollars, Shipped! **

This site
http://shop.famvid.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=256609&source=pricegrabber
has the regular version for 49.99 with 99 cent shipping.

Add the coupon code NEWMEM96 - and ouila! Gears of War shows up on your doorstep for $45 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is almost to glowing of a preview damn. I can't wait till nov 17 to get my hands on the game. I hope the single player can be played at a slower pace like the multiplayer can.

Greatest game of all time? Doubt it. Good game? Most likely.

I have never really eaten the goew hype, but I'm sure this game will be great.

You can always tell when an article is getting too carried away with itself when it goes into 'story mode'.

"...and then the xbox360 began booting, and we were stunned, paralyzed during the agonising wait for the title screen to come! Finally the title screen came, and so did I! We looked at each other, peering into the black limpid pools of one anothers eyes and instantly knew we were both packing spoiled underwear. Gears made the drive buzz in ways we have never heard before, it was erotic beyond a point we could humanly be expected to bear! We were exghausted and had no energy left to play the actual game, so we just went with the initial feelings that had filled our spiritual souls as the drive had churned away loading the magnificent data!"

The game certainly seems to have taken the crown from the previous pre-release hype champion Oblivion.

I think there's a good possibility we'll all be blown away by this game..

I remember some magazine talking about the huge difference in person makes to view this game..they said the colors just leap off the screen in person and whatnot.

Almost all the media, if not all, of Gears is off screen.
________
Glass Bubblers

The game certainly seems to have taken the crown from the previous pre-release hype champion Oblivion.

I agree

but what are saying who is playing the game, is that all this hype is WELL deserved :)
EGM too this month says wonder of what they seen

and the emergency day is coming ....:D

Are they always that enthusiastic ? It seems too much !
Most people who have already played Gears are really impressed though.
I wish they would release a demo NOW, sigh

Are they always that enthusiastic ? It seems too much !
Most people who have already played Gears are really impressed though.
I wish they would release a demo NOW, sigh

Problem is, there's little benefit to them to release a demo *before* the release of the game. It's got huge hype surrounding it anyway, when you hit that point the only thing a demo can do (especially pre-final build) is to put people off, with these sorts of previews everyone is going to want to buy it anyway and those who don't initially buy it can maybe be lured in later by a demo from the final build.

Yeah, I know, SIGH (emphasis on sigh).
Still, I have been quite disappointed by the latest Demo, SCDA... The multi doesn't look as good as GRAW (which was superb), and I'd like to get a good demo. I'm afraid the R6 demo is going to be a bad pre build (if it's the one that was at Paris game show). I've just bought a Samsung R7 HDTV for Gears of War, and now I'm desperatly waiting for the real thing !!! Even Graw gets boring, sometimes.

Yeah, I know, SIGH (emphasis on sigh).
Still, I have been quite disappointed by the latest Demo, SCDA... The multi doesn't look as good as GRAW (which was superb), and I'd like to get a good demo. I'm afraid the R6 demo is going to be a bad pre build (if it's the one that was at Paris game show). I've just bought a Samsung R7 HDTV for Gears of War, and now I'm desperatly waiting for the real thing !!! Even Graw gets boring, sometimes.

well you only have a one month wait....

Problem is, there's little benefit to them to release a demo *before* the release of the game. It's got huge hype surrounding it anyway, when you hit that point the only thing a demo can do (especially pre-final build) is to put people off, with these sorts of previews everyone is going to want to buy it anyway and those who don't initially buy it can maybe be lured in later by a demo from the final build.

exact
there's no need for a demo for the marketplace, almost everyone knows what GOW is
I only hope that Gears Of War will be in the demo kiosk, this would be great

I think that after 3-4 months, we'll have the marketplace demo, but who cares, I will take the game the first day of sale. 11.17.06. :D

Oh, so you live in the EU as well ?
Yeah, we'll have to wait 5 extra days, that's too bad !
Gears makes me feel like i'm a teenager again, waiting for a killer app to be released on his system !

That's a female I don't wanna mess with. :oops:

Wonder how they procreate and feed the babies.

Well, it seems all locusts are not born ugly, they become so through their dear mum tender loving care.
There are actually 2 kinds of Locusts, the bad agressive ones, and the gay ones (a confirmation of Freud's abusive mum theory), which Epic hasn't shown yet. Rumor has it they come fully equipped with missile launchers in order to penetrate Cogs armour and body.
OMG, I need a GOW shot, I'm turning insane.

Missile launchers... you mean the giant dinosaur thing with the multiple-eyes + WWII airplane pilot's cap?

Yeah, that one really turns me on ! Way more than the female Locust. He might not be the right one, it might not be the right time, but there's something between us... and now i'm quoting lyrics from daft punk ! Oh dear, oh dear !

So far Gears of War look and sounded too much like kill.switch:LOL: :LOL:

Just IMO, of course

Back