Helldivers 2 [PS5, PC]

Hardly. Palworld, Diablo IV, Baldur's Gate III, Forza Motorsport are all well regarded multiplayer games, to name just a few, and that's just in the last 9 months. Sony's had 10 years. Congratulations to them finally!
I don't consider Baldur's Gate and Forza to be multiplayer focused games. The others I would question as being good games.

I am having much more fun with the game now that the server issues are resolved. However the repetitive missions are starting to get tiring.

Is the game basically fully playable now? I don't mind if there are occasional problems.

I'm on pc , the game works pretty well with the occasional oh why am I back on the ship. Or hey why are we never landing on this planet.

But other than that it works. The content is very light as you have the same 10 missions with your choice of bugs or robots.

Latest patch upped the difficulty significantly. Enemies spawn in like crazy. Automaton in particular is brutal now and I'm only on difficulty 7/9.

Pretty easily one of the best co-op games ever made. I'm at difficulty 7 ... suicide mission? Game is chaotic and difficult. Not insanely difficult, but difficult. There are so many details that just make it exciting. Today I had just called in an strategem that I think is called air burst. It basically does three or four shotgun style blasts in an area from your ship. Just as I completed calling it in, my friend used his rocket and the blow back sent me flying and dropped the strategem in the middle of our group. Those chaotic moments are just so funny seeing everyone scrambling to not get blown up in the midst of a huge battle.

I almost posted that story yesterday when it appeared on EG with angry headlines, until I finished reading the EG article and comments...everyone was told about this requirement when they bought the game! That Tweet says a 'small box' but it's the standard, prominent highlight used by Steam to inform users of extra requirements.

1714814824199.png

Here's exactly the same thing for an XBox game on Steam...

1714815118250.png

So the primary outrage here is Steam users not paying attention to their own interface and Valve's efforts to ensure publishers inform users of extra requirements.

That said, there is a real problem with the international audience as described, Steam supporting more countries that PSN or XBL etc do. Selling games to people that can't use it later on because they can't get a PSN account is absolutely wrong. Thankfully Valve will have their backs and at least support refunds, and they are big enough to take Sony to task over this.

With these new extra account requirements coming from all direction (a complete reversal of the progress from 20 years that eliminated all those different accounts!), Steam also needs to integrate a platform check if users can use games or not. Both PSN and XBLive have country limits, and Steam users in those nations don't necessarily know that up front. I think what's needed is a registered and linked PSN/XB account on Steam before games needing those can be purchased, and a stronger highlight for games that this account will be required in perpetuity (until the game is closed down...)

Discussed here. Edit: Merged that content into this thread.

In short, Sony/Steam informed Steam buyers of this need in a distinctive call out box, the same as used on other titles like Halo:Infinite. It's nothing new but it seems lots of Steam users don't read when they buy, and because the requirement wasn't in place from day one, they were oblivious.

Last edited:
when the game launched the psn servers where overwhelmed and they turned off the requirement of linking steam and psn temporarily, but it was always in the requirements and now its being enforced

This is probably the most out of proportion response to a mild inconvenience that I have ever seen. People acting like PSN gets hacked every 3 days, lamenting that Sony will sell they're data, that people can't make PSN accounts in unsupported countries... I have a feeling why this has never happened to this degree for any other game, but maybe I'm wrong.

This is probably the most out of proportion response to a mild inconvenience that I have ever seen. People acting like PSN gets hacked every 3 days, lamenting that Sony will sell they're data, that people can't make PSN accounts in unsupported countries... I have a feeling why this has never happened to this degree for any other game, but maybe I'm wrong.
A most generous take is because, people being people, they don't read the instructions and just go with the flow. With other games like Halo: Infinite, they are presented up front with the need for an account, so are informed straight away. With HD2 they weren't, so played the game clueless to the PSN requirement. Now the requirement is being rolled out, people are reacting based on their ill-formed misconceptions.

The fault lies mostly with the users who didn't pay attention to the requirements, although it is realistically too much to ask for users to enter a shop, read a warning, and then go looking to see if they can create a PSN account or not to play the game. As I say above, the ideal solution is for Steam to check accounts have linked XB, PSN etc accounts before allowing said users to buy content that needs those accounts. Steam HD2 now requires players to create PSN accounts or ask Valve for a refund. Valve would probably honour those requests because they value their reputation, but it should be a case of, "okay, here's your money back, but you realise this is your fault, right? We do put a visible warning on the store page under the game requirements that it'd need a PSN account; you did read that, right?"

However, there are some people enjoying the game now who won't be able to once a PSN account is needed, who will of course be peeved. That sucks. All the love of the game turns to hate; that's how Feels work. There's also a frustration that the move away from hundreds of accounts and logins started 20 years ago is going backwards, and instead of one gaming account, we need multiple again.

The mature response here is a learning experience and improved integration all round. It's just a shame that to get there is this day and age requires a load of tantrum throwing.

A most generous take is because, people being people, they don't read the instructions and just go with the flow. With other games like Halo: Infinite, they are presented up front with the need for an account, so are informed straight away. With HD2 they weren't, so played the game clueless to the PSN requirement. Now the requirement is being rolled out, people are reacting based on their ill-formed misconceptions.

The fault lies mostly with the users who didn't pay attention to the requirements, although it is realistically too much to ask for users to enter a shop, read a warning, and then go looking to see if they can create a PSN account or not to play the game. As I say above, the ideal solution is for Steam to check accounts have linked XB, PSN etc accounts before allowing said users to buy content that needs those accounts. Steam HD2 now requires players to create PSN accounts or ask Valve for a refund. Valve would probably honour those requests because they value their reputation, but it should be a case of, "okay, here's your money back, but you realise this is your fault, right? We do put a visible warning on the store page under the game requirements that it'd need a PSN account; you did read that, right?"

However, there are some people enjoying the game now who won't be able to once a PSN account is needed, who will of course be peeved. That sucks. All the love of the game turns to hate; that's how Feels work. There's also a frustration that the move away from hundreds of accounts and logins started 20 years ago is going backwards, and instead of one gaming account, we need multiple again.

The mature response here is a learning experience and improved integration all round. It's just a shame that to get there is this day and age requires a load of tantrum throwing.
it would actually be better if they had communicated that they had disabled the psn account requirement shortly after launch but that it would be enforced in the future, but the game was an unexpected smash success and i think it may have just fallen to the wayside

I almost posted that story yesterday when it appeared on EG with angry headlines, until I finished reading the EG article and comments...everyone was told about this requirement when they bought the game! That Tweet says a 'small box' but it's the standard, prominent highlight used by Steam to inform users of extra requirements.

View attachment 11248

Here's exactly the same thing for an XBox game on Steam...

View attachment 11249

So the primary outrage here is Steam users not paying attention to their own interface and Valve's efforts to ensure publishers inform users of extra requirements.

That said, there is a real problem with the international audience as described, Steam supporting more countries that PSN or XBL etc do. Selling games to people that can't use it later on because they can't get a PSN account is absolutely wrong. Thankfully Valve will have their backs and at least support refunds, and they are big enough to take Sony to task over this.

With these new extra account requirements coming from all direction (a complete reversal of the progress from 20 years that eliminated all those different accounts!), Steam also needs to integrate a platform check if users can use games or not. Both PSN and XBLive have country limits, and Steam users in those nations don't necessarily know that up front. I think what's needed is a registered and linked PSN/XB account on Steam before games needing those can be purchased, and a stronger highlight for games that this account will be required in perpetuity (until the game is closed down...)
1714842586152.png

The only pop up I saw was months ago and it said I could skip.

This whole thing is handled poorly. I guess I will just stop playing on the 6th and go back to star citizen.

Back during the psn hack with the ps3 I had my identity stolen and multiple credit cards taken out under my name. I wont ever open another sony account.

Edit

Move info

Last edited by a moderator:
The only pop up I saw was months ago and it said I could skip.
But the listing had it in the yellow box. Same as Halo Infinite. Same as Last Epoch
This whole thing is handled poorly. I guess I will just stop playing on the 6th and go back to star citizen.
I agree somewhat, but also it'd be nice if all the people who ignored the "needs PSN account" held up their hands and admitted their part in this. The present reaction is more appropriate if Sony hadn't told anyone and suddenly brought in this change from nowhere.

But the listing had it in the yellow box. Same as Halo Infinite. Same as Last Epoch

I agree somewhat, but also it'd be nice if all the people who ignored the "needs PSN account" held up their hands and admitted their part in this. The present reaction is more appropriate if Sony hadn't told anyone and suddenly brought in this change from nowhere.
Sony is also to blame for having multiple different explanations and for selling the game in locations that don't have access to PSN.

The other issue is how long this has been disabled for. Sony and the devs choose to disable this and make it optional. People bought the game while this was optional and are now past return periods. I don't buy MS games on steam so I don't know what was going on with Halo but did MS disable the need for a microsoft account for months and have contradictory information on it being optional and then choose to reimplement it ? Because only then would it be the same situation.

The Playstation games I own on steam have never required a psn account. Spider-man, that zombie game and Horizon don't require it.

Anyway I know now that Sony will require this from now on and I simply wont buy a sony game in the future or I will seek out means where this requirement has been removed

Back