Heavy Rain [PS3]

Has anyone noticed that there's DLC chapter for heavry rain called "The taxidermist" in dlc menu, but when you go to download it in the playstation store it comes up blank?

It's in the US Playstation Store now. I installed it a minute ago.

Finished it a few hours ago, was a good ride. :) But the story was not even close what I have hoped for, seems all this talk about the fantastic story was getting my hopes too high. Ok, in the video game world below average stories like Assassin's Creed get praise, so why am I surprised?

David Cage said something like "I want to make games for adults", he sure can't write a story that does not have so many holes in it that it looks like a famous cheese sort.
The different endings, the no "game over" screen etc. deserve 1000 praises, if the story would have been great this would be a masterpiece...

There are quite a few brilliant moments
Like: when the son is comforting his dad that the accident was not his fault, when you need to cut one of your fingers of, even the funny look of Paco as Madison is faking an orgasm
and really bad ones like the
idiotic revenge action scene with Shelby pull this way below "great story". When will writers/directors of "realistic" books/movies learn that bodies do not spin/roll in the air when they are struck with a bullet. They drop... Not to mention one guy killing about ten men without problems, they would've killed him armed with cookie jars. The idiotic character Blake, so much bad writing would kill ten average TV movies, how did no one ever say "this character is so baldy written that it is almost good writing"?!
Of course, no one wants to play absolute realism, but sometimes you should keep it down a bit.

My endings:

*Norman Jayden (BTW, he saved Ethan Mars from getting shot and "killed" the Origami killer even though he saved him a few minutes earlier from falling down) gets on a TV show and later throws his drug into a toilet. Later on the work he has some strange hallucinations (drug side effects?) with some toy tanks rolling over his work desk.
*Ethan Mars (even he drank the "poison" ;) ) is checking out a apartment with son and Madison Page (she probably saved Ethan Mars from getting shot by the police). Finally, we see some sun in the game :) .
*Lauren Winter is standing at the grave of Scott Shelby, torn by her feelings and telling that she feels only contempt for him.

I do not even know if I want to try the other endings so far, as I love the "I have my own story" feeling :) .

Loved the art direction, the graphics and the music. I can't understand why they put up with all the torn frames as it is sometimes quite bad, but many times I could not believe the detail I was looking at (and other times I could not believe how some animations etc. were done so wrongly).

Even though there are many flaws, IMO, everyone on the team should be proud working on such a innovative title (the "no game over" is something that is really fantastic). IMO, this is the best video game to introduce video games to someone who has never played them...

Cheers...

There are quite a few brilliant moments
Like: when the son is comforting his dad that the accident was not his fault, when you need to cut one of your fingers of, even the funny look of Paco as Madison is faking an orgasm

Yeap, those 2 are my top picks.

... and really bad ones like the
idiotic revenge action scene with Shelby pull this way below "great story". When will writers/directors of "realistic" books/movies learn that bodies do not spin/roll in the air when they are struck with a bullet. They drop... Not to mention one guy killing about ten men without problems, they would've killed him armed with cookie jars. ...

I didn't see Shelby's parts above. All my characters took a different route from yours. Jayden got ripped by the black dude, Ethan hanged himself, Shelby speared Madison to death, Laurel survived and shot Shelby. Also Shelby failed to enter the rich man's mansion. He got shot 4-5 times. Because I was such a bad player and he had to retreat. :LOL:

Hello patsu,

great minds think alike ;) .

About the missing scene,
the revenge scene I am talking about was Shelbies entering of the mansion! WOW! So in your story Lauren finds out he is the killer? Well that is an good arc! Seems you really got an depressing ending, IIRC, Cage said the worst ending is his favorite :) . In your story you probably killed the drug dealer and got in jail?! But at least the Origami killer did not got away!Did you managed to save Shaun?

Cheers...

Hello patsu,

great minds think alike ;) .

About the missing scene,
the revenge scene I am talking about was Shelbies entering of the mansion! WOW! So in your story Lauren finds out he is the killer?

She found out at the very end, after everyone's dead, including Shaun.
>_<

Well that is an good arc! Seems you really got an depressing ending, IIRC, Cage said the worst ending is his favorite :) . In your story you probably killed the drug dealer and got in jail?! But at least the Origami killer did not got away!Did you managed to save Shaun?

You mean the third test ? No I didn't. I aborted the trial. I got caught while the police stormed the motel. My wife told the police I was the Origami Killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa ! The whole thread seems to be getting spoiler tagged :LOL: ! More spoiler tags than an MGS thread. Bye bye thread! will visit when I have played Heavy Rain !

Completed the game today. I'm deeply impressed, this is a moving game if I ever saw one. When I first read about Heavy Rain I wasn't sure if it was going to be my cup of tea but it's been quite a ride.

I'm going to try to get some of my non-gaming friends into this one. I'd love to see this game concept in future releases, feels really fresh after so many FPSs. It kind of reminded me of good ol' Lucas Arts adventures.

Need to play again to see more endings. In my game
Lauren died because I got out of the sinking car without saving her
. I want to do some things different next time as well to see what happens.

It took me a while to get used to the camera and controls, and there was some screen tearing now and then, but overall the engine seems solid. I really love the art direction, some scenes look gorgeous.

The game crashed once when
I entered the clock/typewriter shop
but worked fine afterwards.

GDC 2010 video interview with David Cage:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed

[Heavy Rain sold surprisingly well]

This is great news for video games in general as it could inspire more developers to take chances where they might otherwise have played it safe. It is also welcomed news for Heavy Rain’s creator David Cage for many reasons. Cage shared a number of these reasons with G4's Adam Sessler during this year's Game Developers Conference, and here is one of them:

“Describing the experience that is Heavy Rain has been my nightmare for the past two years, because I had to evangelize it; I had to talk about this game for two years just to make people aware of what we were going...And I really got the feeling that no matter how hard I tried, people could not get what kind of experience it would be. And now it’s really funny to see players...try to explain it to their friends and facing the same issues…Because if I ask you what you do in any shooter, you would say, 'Oh, I shoot and it was exciting because of this or that.' But if I ask you what did you do in Heavy Rain, it’s a difficult question to answer.”

He used the word "failure" quite a few times. Must be relieved after seeing the sales performance. :)

[Heavy Rain sold surprisingly well]

latest dutch charts, surprise surprise charted above BATTLEFIELD/BAD COMPANY which launched the same week

1 HEAVY RAIN (PS3) SONY
2 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (Wii) NINTENDO
3 BATTLEFIELD/BAD COMPANY 2 (PS3) ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2 (PC) ELECTRONIC ARTS
5 BATTLEFIELD/BAD COMPANY 2 (XBOX 360) ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 CALL OF DUTY/MODERN WARFARE 2 (PS3) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7 WII FIT PLUS (Wii) NINTENDO
8 MARIO KART (Wii) NINTENDO
9 NAPOLEON/TOTAL WAR (PC) SEGA
10 ASSASSIN'S CREED II (PC) UBISOFT

Finland says...
Combined platforms, week 7-8/2010, updated every two week
1 Heavy Rain (Sony) PS3
2 Aliens vs. Predator (Sega) PC PS3 Xbox360
3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision-Blizzard) PC PS3 Xbox360
4 NHL 10 (Electronic Arts) PS3 Xbox360
5 Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) Wii
6 New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo) Wii
7 Bioshock 2 (Take 2) PC PS3 Xbox360
8 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Sega) DS Wii
9 Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) Wii
10 Vancouver 2010 (Sega) PC PS3 Xbox360

Glad it seems sold well, downloadable HR episodes are a next test field.

Good for QD. You guys deserve it.

Yes, they certainly did.

I just hope that the story in the next QD game will be much better.

I have still not played again after my original play through (only watched the nice end credits a few times), seems a bit "fake" if I change "my" story now. Strange feeling to get so attached to a story arc.

Ok, guys...what's the verdict?

The demo was ok-ish for me (great atmosphere of course, gameplay was ..., voice acting (movement of the mouth) was sometimes ridiculous: did this improve in the final game)

I heard a lot positive things with respect to story.

What about gameplay? Is it worth or not playing :?:

Ok, guys...what's the verdict?

The demo was ok-ish for me (great atmosphere of course, gameplay was ..., voice acting (movement of the mouth) was sometimes ridiculous: did this improve in the final game)

I heard a lot positive things with respect to story.

What about gameplay? Is it worth or not playing :?:

Go back couple of pages and start reading.

If you play games for the experience, then by all means, try Heavy Rain. The game is pretty emotional for me. The demo shows the gameplay mechanics rather well. The full game throws different scenarios at you, but for the most part the mechanics works the same way.

If you are not in a rush, you can wait and see if David Cage releases a PS Move version. He's said to be very interested.

I like HR a lot because the experience is unique and intense. The graphics quality varies from scene to scene, character to character. Some are awesome, some are ok. You should play it on a good TV.

If you play games for the experience, then by all means, try Heavy Rain. The game is pretty emotional for me. The demo shows the gameplay mechanics rather well. The full game throws different scenarios at you, but for the most part the mechanics works the same way.

If you are not in a rush, you can wait and see if David Cage releases a PS Move version. He's said to be very interested.

I like HR a lot because the experience is unique and intense. The graphics quality varies from scene to scene, character to character. Some are awesome, some are ok. You should play it on a good TV.

Nice summation. For anyone that's even on the fence about playing the game, JUST DO IT. This game easily fits into the rental category for me (I purchased it) and it's a fun experience.

Unless you are an action junkie, then you need not apply!

If you're a father with a young kid, you should give it a try even if you are an action junkie. ^_^
That's one of the reasons I call it an "experience" game, as opposed to a genre or mechanics title.

Madison and Ethan are very memorable characters. I like them more than Nathan and Elena.

Must read interview for anyone who has beaten the game and had questions about certain parts of the story. A must not read for anyone who hasn't beat it but plans to. They cover two of the biggest questions I've seen people bring up when it comes to the story.

Back