Heavy Rain [PS3]

I hope it was worth the wait. If not, I'll have to pick up Sport Champions to make owning this Move worthwhile.

Move controls for heavy rain are an improvement, but I think SC is the real killer app for Move so far (at least for most people and for showing how well it works).

CESA (Japan) gives designer award to Heavy Rain:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/21/cesa_game_of_year_awards/

New Super Mario Bros. and Heavy Rain took top honors in this year's Japan Game Awards, which were handed out by Tokyo Game Show organizer CESA on the first day of the show last week.

The annual awards include categories for excellence, best sales, global (made in Japan) and global (made overseas). For the most part, the awards are voted on by the general public (voting ran from 4/12 to 7/23 this year) before being finalized by a CESA selection committee. To qualify, games must have been released from 4/1/2009 through 3/31/2010.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was given this year's grand prize. The game received "overwhelming" support in the general vote, and was also given a nod from the committee for its demonstration of "the true nature of gaming."

The winner of the first Game Designers Award was Heavy Rain. In contrast, Heavy Rain placed 70th in general public voting for the excellence awards.

I played Heavy Rain some time ago without move controls, didn't like it because it just felt awkward and didn't seem like a fun game, and then I played it again the other day WITH move controls and it still felt awkward, although not nearly as much, but I still didn't like it.

HR simply isn't a very interesting or engaging game. Or maybe it is, but it starts becoming interesting so far through the experience I just can't be bothered trying to get there. I lasted until just past the main titles, and that's it for me. I've no interest in this game.

...Which is too bad I suppose, because it seems there's something in there, deep down.

I lasted until just past the main titles, and that's it for me. I've no interest in this game.

...Which is too bad I suppose, because it seems there's something in there, deep down.

I did not really get into it before
the son got kidnapped
after that it really started to get to me. Especially where the story made me feel seriously helpless, I wanted to kill David Cage for giving me that kind of feeling. Definitely not something I liked, but I think the game did what it set out to do, give me a new type of game experience.

I played Heavy Rain some time ago without move controls, didn't like it because it just felt awkward and didn't seem like a fun game, and then I played it again the other day WITH move controls and it still felt awkward, although not nearly as much, but I still didn't like it.

HR simply isn't a very interesting or engaging game. Or maybe it is, but it starts becoming interesting so far through the experience I just can't be bothered trying to get there. I lasted until just past the main titles, and that's it for me. I've no interest in this game.

Do you have a son or daughter ?

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/897/results_from_game_design_.php

Imagine that you got hired by Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream and given the task of coming up with an original game design that would fit in with the game engine the team had already created for the adventure title.

Theme? Your choice. Story? All your own. New graphics, music, characters -- you can dream it all up. But you're not able to add any new gameplay. Use the tools that already exist, the sorts of interactions that this technology enables, and come up with an entirely new design.

Think about how the game makes every interaction -- whether it's small and subtle (like tucking in a child at night) or big and bold (like a car chase) equally important in the context of its gameplay. Also think about how the game engine allows for seamlessly branching story choices.

Game Career Guide challenged its readers to design a new game using the unique Heavy Rain gameplay engine. What follows are the best and most original entries we received. Here are our top picks.

Probably in abstract sense... like the hint icons, the DS3 or Move, similar 3D environment to the HR world, etc.
[size=-2]Come on, you should be flattered already. :LOL:[/size]

Can anyone who has played it with the DS3, replay it with MOVE and share whether the ability of the controls to make you really feel the action you are performing has carried over to the MOVE controls or not ?

It is very important as the control quirks of the sixaxis/DS3 were so well done that you actually felt like you were doing the action being portrayed. Like in the demo, when the FBI agent is coming down a slippery slope, the player is asked to hold buttons in such a way that I actually felt like I was trying to safely go down a slippery slope. And I slipped too, and it felt very real ! Has this genius carried over to the MOVE controls too?

Please...............I have held on for so long, can't wait anymore.

For the small parts I played, the answer is yes. The Move controls also reflect real-life actions.

However you need to figure out what the (confusing) action icons mean first. After that initial hurdle, it should be good.

EDIT: Played the game some more. RenegadeRocks, I think you should play it with Move. It's a better (i.e., more natural) experience.

I played the mall scene. Held the controllers, but let my son tell me (Ethan) where to look for Jason, and what to do. I have always wanted to tell him how we feel when he wanders away in the mall. Now he gets to play our role. ;-) Ha ha, I think he's a little surprised by the ending of that segment. After the game, he listened to what I said more carefully this evening. :p

EDIT 2: Bah... he's back to his old self. :LOL:

David Cage on his next project:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-22-david-cage-horizon-was-a-ruse

Cage said in July that Quantic Dream was working on "two very different projects". "After the success of Heavy Rain, we continue to explore how we can go further with interactive drama, working on emotion and interactive storytelling for a mature audience, but with a very different story and a different approach," he said.

Drama, dark themes and characters' feelings and psychology are still pertinent issues to Cage, but he wants to go on and explore "very different types of universes and tell different types of stories". Cage believes Heavy Rain fans will be "surprised" by his new games.

borrowed my PS3 slim to a she-pc gamer friend (she is rather critical towards consols!).
first game she played through is heavy rain - she told me in just one session :oops:

she loves this game, which reminds me that Heavy Rain is indeed the best game, shown to people who are not familiar with the controller and maybe even games itself!

my opinion is, that games like Heavy Rain have the potential to get people player video games: they are easy to controll, but still have AAA quality. and I don't believe that those motion controller concepts Wii/Move/Natal are the right thing, IMHO - because due to their often extrem low quality ("only teh fun counts"), they often confirm peoples opinion and bias towards video games.

I really want to see more games like Heavy Rain!

Yes, I find that Heavy Rain is attractive to casual/non- gamers also.

They were first struck by the visuals, and how close (in concept) it looks to real life. They immediately think the game is relevant to them (different from space marines, aliens, zombies, mobs, army, cartoons, etc.).

If I hold the controller and let them tell me what to do, they'd sit with me quietly to go through the game, even a 5 year old kid, or many adults in a party.

Heavy Rain is in da House :cool: :D !!!
BTW, the game didn't ask me if I wanted Move controls ans asked me download a patch of 1.14 gb even if I am never gonna use Move ! Imagine the poor fella who doesn't even have Move and has tp go thru such a Huge update !

OT: Happy Diwali to all u guys n gals ! Tonight we celebrate the triumph of good over evil ! Just like in my fav videogames ;) !

That's just plain wrong. That update should be optional. Sony is preventing people from playing the game. 1.14Gb is a huge patch to apply.

I never understood why sony does this, why not make optional stuff like these available for download separately on the PS store ? Like if a game gets some free map packs then it'll ask you to download it before you can play the game while being online, even if you just wanna play on the old maps. On XBL you could just continue playing & download the maps separately whenever you want to.

OT: Happy Diwali to all u guys n gals ! Tonight we celebrate the triumph of good over evil ! Just like in my fav videogames ;) !
Same to you...tonight's gonna be awesome :)

Playing the game finally !

I must admit that the Move controls don't feel right :( ! Its as if the game thinks that I will stand and play but how can I stand and play with a sixaxis in my other hand ? Anyways playing and adventure story title while standing doesn't feel right to me, it needs to be from a couch.

Also, the game asks you to keep the controller upright, facing the camera and titled towards the side during the controls. It is just weird. My whole attention is taken away from the screen and towards the control prompts. Damn they are confusing !

I reached the part which was in the demo, and I must say the demo felt more involved during conversations, what with the options starting to shake and revolve around the characters head, and more tense during fights. The point and press Move button at the dialogue option just doesn't feel the same !
The game was made for the sixaxis/DS3 , I think I will continue with my sixaxis next time ! So much for waiting for so many months for Move integration :-/ !

Playing the game finally !

I must admit that the Move controls don't feel right :( ! Its as if the game thinks that I will stand and play but how can I stand and play with a sixaxis in my other hand ? Anyways playing and adventure story title while standing doesn't feel right to me, it needs to be from a couch.

Also, the game asks you to keep the controller upright, facing the camera and titled towards the side during the controls. It is just weird. My whole attention is taken away from the screen and towards the control prompts. Damn they are confusing !

I felt that way initially. There may come a point where the controls "click". e.g., When I'm near a closet, and an icon pops up, I automatically reach in my Move controller and pull out (like opening a door) -- without paying attention to the icon.

I played HR with Move sitting down. My navigation controller was in the office, so I played with DS3 in my left hand. Why do you have to stand up ? You may need to play it sitting up though, since you have to lean forward sometimes (e.g., reaching into the scene to pull a handle).

I reached the part which was in the demo, and I must say the demo felt more involved during conversations, what with the options starting to shake and revolve around the characters head, and more tense during fights. The point and press Move button at the dialogue option just doesn't feel the same !
The game was made for the sixaxis/DS3 , I think I will continue with my sixaxis next time ! So much for waiting for so many months for Move integration :-/ !

I agree the "revolving ideas" are easier to trigger with a button. This is the point where I mentioned Move may not make a big difference. I suspect the devs want you to "catch" the idea but it didn't really stick.

I felt that way initially. There may come a point where the controls "click". e.g., When I'm near a closet, and an icon pops up, I automatically reach in my Move controller and pull out (like opening a door) -- without paying attention to the icon.

I played HR with Move sitting down. My navigation controller was in the office, so I played with DS3 in my left hand. Why do you have to stand up ? You may need to play it sitting up though, since you have to lean forward sometimes (e.g., reaching into the scene to pull a handle).

I agree the "revolving ideas" are easier to trigger with a button. This is the point where I mentioned Move may not make a big difference. I suspect the devs want you to "catch" the idea but it didn't really stick.

The opening doors and drawers happens naturally yes, but the myriad ways it wants me to hold the controller in feels disturbing, breaks the flow. SOmetimes it wants me to hold it upright, sometimes facing the camera and sometimes sideways. Its jaaring and breaks your involvement with scene when you realise you did the required motion but you didn't hold it right !

As for sitting and playing, well, there are many actions which require you to bring your hand down, like sitting requires you to :
1) Hold the controller upright
2)Slide it sideways
3) Now pull it down.

With my elbow already resting on my lap, pulling down becomes difficult as there is no room. Theres my leg below my hand :LOL: ! Similarly, there was a gesture where you Jayden takes out his I card. Yes, the movement felt very natural, but it was such that you reach out backwards(Pull the controller back) and then make a curved motion on the side, as if pulling out the card. Again, it requires you are standing as sitting stifles all these motions, unless you are sitting on a stool with no back support.

It is weird. Some stuff like opening and closing the doors feels natural, but I am losing the game while worrying about the movements. I think I don't want that to happen.

Back