HDTV in the UK (updated?)

hey69 said:
slap a x360 faceplate on it and drill some holes :D

It's funny you should say that , when I first saw it a few days ago , it did strike me as vaguely Xbox 360-like :smile:

I think it's the rounded edges and the ventilation holes on the side .

kipper67 said:
It's funny you should say that , when I first saw it a few days ago , it did strike me as vaguely Xbox 360-like :smile:

I think it's the rounded edges and the ventilation holes on the side .

Wouldn't surprise me if the similarity to XBox 360 was entirely intentional

V-Tec said:
Will council television or freeview ever be broadcasted in HD?
I kinda doubt freeview will. Even after swich-off of analogue (when more bandwidth will be available) I just don't think the bandwidth will be there for the fidelity required. This is just pure speculation, but the quality of some current freeview channels is pretty abysmal, with obvious MPEG artefacts abound (just watch any football on ITV2, for instance).

Diplo said:
I kinda doubt freeview will. Even after swich-off of analogue (when more bandwidth will be available) I just don't think the bandwidth will be there for the fidelity required. This is just pure speculation, but the quality of some current freeview channels is pretty abysmal, with obvious MPEG artefacts abound (just watch any football on ITV2, for instance).

In France first HD Digital Terrestrial channels will be launched in 2006, using Mpeg4-AVC I believe.

Tahir2 said:
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/PAN-TH42PV500CAB.htm

TH42PV500CAB.jpg

I saw one of these running side-by-side with the previous SD version of this same plasma at a local Reliance shop in Derby. Both were running the same material - it was HD material at high bitrates showing a variety of scenes.

I was absolutely astonished at the improvement in IQ, which is also a lot to do with Panasonic's image quality and not only the fact that it was HD. If anyone wants to get a HDTV I strongly recommend getting a viewing of HD material on your chosen TV before you buy. This TV's IQ was the best I have ever seen.

Only downside is that the TV is out of stock everywhere and wont be in for about 3 weeks minimum.

I was about to buy the Samsung DLP 50" around XMAS time but I might have to reconsider now.
Plasma *thumbs down*

Back