Happy New Year-o-the-Rooster!!!!

Guo Nian means "Chinese new year". I think the "guo" actually just means country or kingdom, with China's full name being Zhongguo or "Middle Kingdom".

Xin Nian Kuai Le means Happy New Year, or literally, Xin (New) Nian (Year) Kuai (Happy) Le (State Of Being). At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

I'm an American who's lived in China for 5 months. My Chinese is pretty shoddy, and I would need to see the characters to be completely sure about "Guo Nian". I am sure on "Xin nian kuai le", though. That's the phrase I here most often here.

let me clearify that "hmm..." was more a hmmmm sound you make while you think about something , and not a" HMMMMM mjammie gimme gimme " kind of hmm

bwah, to late for damage control ;)

Clashman said:
Guo Nian means "Chinese new year". I think the "guo" actually just means country or kingdom, with China's full name being Zhongguo or "Middle Kingdom".

"Guo" here means "passing." "Guo Nian" (nian is "year") is something like "passing the old year" and "going with the new year." It's pretty hard to translate directly into English (at least with my ability :p ).

Clashman said:
Xin Nian Kuai Le means Happy New Year, or literally, Xin (New) Nian (Year) Kuai (Happy) Le (State Of Being).

A small correction: "Le" means "happy" too. Or more precisely, "Kuai Le" together means happy. "Kuai" normally means "fast" or "cheerily" (I think in the case of "Kuai Le" it's the second meaning).

It's a bit too late but happy Chinese New Year to you all :)

Back