Halo Wars

$60 game
$10 map pack
$10 extras ;)

Josh convincing the entire party to buy the Mythic.... priceless? :p

I got the LE version. I've never played a RTS game on any platform before, so I'm a total noob at the game. I find the game to be fun in short doses, but I really prefer games where I am more directly a part of the action.

I am realizing that I need to think a lot farther ahead in this game than I normally have to in say a FPS game. I definitely need help with strategic thinking. My strategizing sucks. :). My tendency is to build up a badass army and smash everything in sight, which doesn't always work so well.

I guess the controls aren't that bad, but I do wish it was easier/more intuitive to split up units for action on different parts of the map. I know it can be done, but it's hard for me to do it in game. It is fun to replay missions to get skulls/black boxes however.

I am realizing that I need to think a lot farther ahead in this game than I normally have to in say a FPS game. I definitely need help with strategic thinking. My strategizing sucks. :). My tendency is to build up a badass army and smash everything in sight, which doesn't always work so well.

That's exactly how I play RTSs. And probably the reason I suck so much at them. :-|

$60 game
$10 map pack
$10 extras ;)

Josh convincing the entire party to buy the Mythic.... priceless? :p

Agh. The maps are fantastic, but I don't think it's worth an $80 investment in a game you may or may not be interested in. Lucky for me I got them free (caption contest).

Make sure you use army selection (down on Dpad) and unit type selection (scroll with the right trigger) to organize different armies. You can also hold down X to queue move/attack orders in sequential order.

Agh. The maps are fantastic, but I don't think it's worth an $80 investment in a game you may or may not be interested in. Lucky for me I got them free (caption contest).

Definitely interested in it. My debate is between the LE and SE.
Since I will probably pick up the Mythic pack anyway this only puts it $10 above the SE version. I'm wondering if the extras are worth the dough.

Also, I don't think it will have the legs that other games have (could be wrong).

Playing through the single player right now. It's pretty interesting and while the controls are good, I'm always thinking that I wish I had a mouse and keyboard.

Some of the missions can be pretty challenging.

The cutscenes are great. Even if the gameplay totally sucked, for me it'd be worth it just for the cutscenes. :) I LOVE pre-rendered cutscenes. :D

Regards,
SB

I got the LE version. I've never played a RTS game on any platform before, so I'm a total noob at the game. I find the game to be fun in short doses, but I really prefer games where I am more directly a part of the action.

I guess the controls aren't that bad, but I do wish it was easier/more intuitive to split up units for action on different parts of the map. I know it can be done, but it's hard for me to do it in game. It is fun to replay missions to get skulls/black boxes however.

Besides the maps, what else were included with the LE version?
Do you think it is worth it over the SE?

I think it has a book about the Spirit of Fire and some other minor stuff. I'll check when I get home. If you're on Live tonight I'll give you the details.

Edit:
The LE "extras" include:

A Prima hint book (gives strats/locations for the first few levels)
Cards with specific info/bios about the main characters
A package of rather cool looking reusable stickers (called skins)
A rubber UNSC Spirit of Fire patch, which appears to stick to any smooth surface
A hard bound comic/graphic novel called "Halo Wars: Genesis"

And of course, the Mythic map pack.

As for whether or not it is worth it? I guess it depends on how into the background story you are. I like background story, but I mainly got it for an early look at the maps. There are no figurines or statues, but what's included is pretty cool I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo Wars DLC detailed

New info regarding the DLC,

Microsoft has detailed Halo Wars' first DLC pack, called Strategic Options.

The add-on pack, which is said to be arriving on Xbox Live "in the coming weeks" adds three new multiplayer game modes including...

* Keepaway Mode, the Halo Wars adaptation of Capture the Flag. Teams will battle it out to capture a free-roaming Forerunner Sentinel to score points before the other team. Capture three sentinels to claim victory.

* Tug of War Mode, all about having a stronger army than the opponent. Defeating enemies is essential, but success is determined by a combination of the army, buildings and resources left standing in the end.

* Reinforcement Mode, all active battle units are provided in successive waves. Players must adapt their tactics and use the ever-changing set of units to outwit and outlast the enemy.

The Strategic Options pack also adds four new Achievements worth a total of 100 points:

* One and Done (30 points): Score the winning point in a game of Keepaway against Legendary A.I.'s

*Pull Hard, Pull Deep (20 points): Win and never trail in a Tug of War game

*Freak on a Streak (20 points): Gain at least 15 population from a single wave in a Reinforcement game

*Living Loving Bug (30 points): Obtain a Scarab during a Reinforcement game

LINK

...So they're making you pay for new game modes? What about new maps? New vehicles??

Typical MS.

Btw, most game companies call the aforementioned "DLC" a "Patch". I have and love Halo Wars, but truly this game is scant on features. Kind of barren...

It feels almost incomplete in alot of ways... So naturally they make you pay for this.

...So they're making you pay for new game modes? What about new maps? New vehicles??

Typical MS.

Btw, most game companies call the aforementioned "DLC" a "Patch". I have and love Halo Wars, but truly this game is scant on features. Kind of barren...

It feels almost incomplete in alot of ways... So naturally they make you pay for this.

Isn't this basically what most FPS DLC's are? Just more game modes or more maps? :p

If someone doesn't like it they don't have to buy it, not sure why it's a bad thing.

I do love the idea of some of these new game modes though. Not enough to buy the pack since I don't do online on console...

Regards,
SB

..Except they're not offering maps.

They're offering game modes. And unlike alot of FPS out there such as COD, KZ2, Halo 3, which allow you to customize your matches and gametypes almost from the ground up (See Forge), Halo Wars comes with next- to nothing barebones for game types and only a modest selection of maps..

If it were a DLC pack for "MAPS" then yes, I'd pay for it. But it's only for Game modes...

I think I would buy more missions (e.g. SP content), but I won't play this game in multiplayer because I am humorously terrible at it.

Sorry, about bringing back this dead topic, but I had to get some thoughts off my chest. I started playing this game yesterday. Yes, I know, it's been 6 months since I got it, but I wanted to pre-order Halo 3 ODST & wanted to use this as a trade-in. So far I'm pretty well disappointed. It feels like Halo, but sometimes it doesn't. Love the story & cutscenes, but it might have been better as an animated short film instead. The game is also very short. I started it yesterday and got to level 10 out of 15. Though I did end up playing on easy. Thought starting on Normal would have been easy, but I'm finding Easy is even hard. Maybe I'm not playing it right. I've only played maybe 1 or 2 RTS games & that was over 9 years ago. I think had it been made into a Battlezone FPS/RTS hyrbid I would have enjoyed it more. Hopefully it's something they might consider for a future title.

Tommy McClain

Back